Confusing results for squash balls bounce

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment with a squash ball being dropped from a height of 0.5m and measuring the "bounced height" to determine energy loss. The results showed that when a hole was placed in the ball, the bounce was higher, contrary to expectations. Possible explanations for this phenomenon include the creation of a vacuum inside the ball, increased elasticity, and decreased air pressure.
greener1993
Hey guys, how are you? :D

I’m doing an experiment on a squash ball where I drop it from a 0.5m height and work out its "bounced height" to determine energy lose with the table. By per=mgh

When dropping it from 0.5 m I get a result of 0.125m on the first bounce. However when I tried it with a hole placed in the squash ball the bounce was higher at 0.135m this pattern continued for all bounces and all tests.

The reason it is confusing me is because I believed that when the ball hit the table it became deformed into an oval shape the pressure inside the ball increases and "pushes" the ball back into the original shape, whist doing so giving it height on the return.

However with a hole I expected this pressurised gas to leave the ball and wouldn't push the ball back into its original shape as quickly or with the same magnitude.

The results have taken me by surprise and would be grateful if someone could explain the physics is hide this increase in height to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there! We're doing great, thanks for asking! It sounds like you have an interesting experiment going. We can't give a definitive answer without being able to run the experiment ourselves, but we can offer some possible explanations. When the ball is punctured, the air escapes and creates a vacuum in the ball. This vacuum could potentially increase the elasticity of the ball, leading to a higher bounce. Alternatively, the decrease in air pressure in the ball could lead to a lower drag force, which could also contribute to a higher bounce. Additionally, when the ball is punctured, the shape of the ball changes slightly, which could also increase the bounce. Hope this helps!

1. What causes squash balls to have varying bounce heights?

There are multiple factors that can contribute to varying bounce heights in squash balls. The main factors include the type of ball used (single dot, double dot, etc.), the temperature and humidity of the playing environment, and the age and wear of the ball.

2. How do I know if my squash ball is still in good condition?

A simple way to check the condition of your squash ball is to press your thumb into the ball. If the ball easily compresses and then quickly bounces back, it is likely still in good condition. However, if the ball does not bounce back quickly or feels very hard, it may be time to replace it.

3. Can the playing surface affect the bounce of a squash ball?

Yes, the playing surface can have a significant impact on the bounce of a squash ball. Harder surfaces, such as concrete or hardwood, will result in a higher bounce, while softer surfaces, like carpet or a wooden floor with a rubber underlay, will result in a lower bounce.

4. Why do some squash balls have different numbers of dots?

The number of dots on a squash ball indicates its level of bounce. Single dot balls are the slowest and have the lowest bounce, while double dot and triple dot balls have higher bounces and are typically used by more experienced players. The dots are also a way for players to easily identify the type of ball being used during a match.

5. How do I choose the right squash ball for my playing style?

Choosing the right squash ball for your playing style primarily depends on your skill level and the playing conditions. If you are a beginner, a single dot ball may be best as it will have a lower bounce and be easier to control. For more experienced players, a double or triple dot ball may be better suited, especially in cooler or drier playing conditions which can result in a lower bounce.