Magnetic Enrgy (B^2/2u or H^2/8pi)

• Thread starter asheg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in magnetic energy formulas found in different references and the potential issue with units. It is noted that B and H are not the same thing and the difference in energy formulas may be due to the use of different unit systems, such as MKS and CGS. The conversation also provides links to further information on the topic.
asheg
Hi,

I have a problem that in some references the magnetic energy is B^2/(2 mu) and in some references it is H^2/8pi. is it a matter of units and if it's so what is the name of these unit system (i.e. MKS). How I can convert them.

Physics news on Phys.org
dextercioby said:
First of all B and H are not the same thing. Next comes the problem with units. Please, read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field

Thank you for your reply,
But it doesn't answer my question perfectly. I know the difference between H and B. I want to know why in a system we have (Energy = mu H^2/2) and in other (Energy = H^2/8 pi)

Thank you, It answers my question perfectly this time:yuck:

1. What is magnetic energy?

Magnetic energy is the energy stored in a magnetic field, which is created when electric charges are in motion. It is one of the fundamental forms of energy and is responsible for many phenomena, such as magnetism and electricity.

2. How is magnetic energy calculated?

Magnetic energy can be calculated using the formula B^2/2u or H^2/8pi, where B is the magnetic flux density, u is the permeability of the medium, and H is the magnetic field strength. This formula represents the energy stored in a given volume of space due to the magnetic field.

3. What is the difference between B^2/2u and H^2/8pi?

Both B^2/2u and H^2/8pi represent the same concept of magnetic energy, but they differ in the quantities used in the formula. B^2/2u is used to calculate the energy stored in a magnetic field in terms of magnetic flux density, while H^2/8pi is used to calculate the energy in terms of magnetic field strength.

4. How is magnetic energy related to electromagnetism?

Magnetic energy is closely related to electromagnetism, as both are forms of energy that arise from the interaction of electric charges. Electromagnetism is the branch of physics that studies the relationship between electricity and magnetism, and magnetic energy is one of the manifestations of this relationship.

5. What are some practical applications of magnetic energy?

Magnetic energy has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in motors, generators, transformers, and other electrical devices. It is also used in medical imaging, such as MRI machines, and in transportation systems, such as maglev trains. Additionally, magnetic energy is being explored as a potential source of renewable energy through technologies like magnetic levitation wind turbines.