Quantum entanglement question

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about quantum entanglement and the measurement of entangled electrons using orthogonal axes. The person asking the question is planning to do their Extended Essay on this topic and is seeking clarification on the probability of getting a photon in this scenario. They also mention using photons and polarizers for entanglement experiments.
guillefix
Hello, I'm planning to do my EE of IB Diploma on quantum physics and I have a doubt concerning quantum entanglement.
I know that when you have two entangled particles say, two electrons, which spin pointing in the y-axis for example, if you measure them 45º shifted in any direction you will have (1-sin45)/2 probability of getting a photon, and the other entangled electron will have then 100% probability of getting the opposite.
Now, if I measure it trough an orthogonal axis to that one measured in the first electron, will I put in the formula (1-sin(theta))/2 the angle between the y-axis and this new direction or between the axis i used to measure the other electron and this direction, i.e. (1-sin90)/2?

Physics news on Phys.org
I maight have stated my question in a way which is hard to understand, well i am quite a noob in QM but I am going to try to explain it with a picture I've attached. If a measure the first one through the black axis, when I measure the second one through the green axis, will I have 50% probability of getting a photon or 14.6%, which comes from (1-cos45)/2.
Thank you, the answer to this is crucial for my Extended Essay, please help me.

Attachments

• Entangled electrons.png
    Entangled electrons.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 509
guillefix said:
I maight have stated my question in a way which is hard to understand
Have not heard that you can measure electron spin by scattering photons from it. And in addition have not heard of any entanglement experiment that would measure entangled electrons despite the fact that electron spin is quite frequently used to illustrate entanglement.

I can suggest you to reformulate your question using photons and polarizers as majority of experiments are using photon polarization for entanglement measurements.

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances.

2. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement works by creating a pair of particles that are in a superposition of states, meaning they exist in multiple states at the same time. These particles are then separated, but their states remain connected, so that when one particle is measured and its state is determined, the other particle will have the same state.

3. What is the significance of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement has significant implications for the field of quantum computing, as it allows for the creation of quantum bits (qubits) that can store and process information in a way that is fundamentally different from classical bits. It also challenges our understanding of causality and the concept of local realism in physics.

4. How is quantum entanglement measured?

Quantum entanglement is measured through a process called quantum state tomography, which involves performing a series of measurements on the entangled particles and using statistical analysis to reconstruct the state of the particles. Other methods, such as Bell tests, can also be used to verify the presence of entanglement.

5. Can quantum entanglement be used for communication?

While quantum entanglement has been proposed as a means of communication, it is not currently feasible due to the difficulty of maintaining entanglement over large distances and the fact that it cannot be used to transmit information faster than the speed of light. However, it is being researched as a potential method for secure communication through quantum cryptography.