Heat sink + a shunt copper tape. Why shunt copper not equal to heat sink temp?

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving a processor and a copper tape attached to a heatsink. The strange phenomenon of the tape remaining at ambient temperature while the heatsink heats up is discussed. Suggestions are made to check the data collection setup and to use a thicker or shorter tape to reduce heat loss. The issue of the heatsink being hotter than the tape is also addressed.
zhiling0229
Hi everyone,

I'm working on a project where the processor is attached to a copper tape about 8cm long where it sticks from 1 end of the processor case to the other while remaining length was insulated with a cardboard. the other end was slightly exposed for temperature measurement

The exposed copper tape on the processor is connected to a heatsink. (i.e processor case -> copper tape -> heat sink)

The strange thing is the copper tape is at ambient temperature when i force the heat sink fan to stop running but the heat sink itself is heating up.

I have done:

1. applied thermal grease on the copper tape and heat sink
2. remove any sticker residue on the tape so is only pure copper.

Is this a normal phenomena, if yes could you advice how does this relates to the theory of conductivity?

Thank you in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
zhiling0229 said:
The exposed copper tape on the processor is connected to a heatsink. (i.e processor case -> copper tape -> heat sink)

The strange thing is the copper tape is at ambient temperature when i force the heat sink fan to stop running but the heat sink itself is heating up.

Sounds to me like there was an error in your data collection, because unless the hetasink is generating heat on its own, it has to be conducting through your intermediate component.

I'd suggest taking your temperature data again, making sure your data collection equipment is properly calibrated and attached.

How close to the heatsink are your measuring the tape temperature?

Thanks for the response. I think there is something wrong too and rechecking my setup and calibration.

The length of the copper tape is approximately 8cm I have insulated the exposed area with cardboard. Can it be due to the heat loss when it travel across the 8cm length?

Well, you could test your hypothesis with a temperature measurement at the start and at the end of the tape.

Heat flows from hot to cold- so if your heatsink is hotter than the copper strip this means the heatsink is actually being cooled by the tape rather than visa-versa.

Check your setup first, and make sure your data collection is set up properly.

zhiling0229 said:

The tape will be losing heat all over its surface, despite insulation. This small heat loss can cause a large temperature gradient along its length because it has a high thermal resistance (very thin).

Use a thicker or shorter "tape" so that its thermal conductance is large compared to the heat loss from its surface.

Unrest said:
The tape will be losing heat all over its surface, despite insulation. This small heat loss can cause a large temperature gradient along its length because it has a high thermal resistance (very thin).

Use a thicker or shorter "tape" so that its thermal conductance is large compared to the heat loss from its surface.

None of this addresses the fact that his heatsink is apparently hotter than the tape going to it...

Mech_Engineer said:
None of this addresses the fact that his heatsink is apparently hotter than the tape going to it...

The OP was a bit unclear (can you clarify, Zhiling?). But it sounds like the tape is sandwiched between the heatsink and the processor, with an extra length hanging off the end, connected to a temperature sensor. In that case it's reasonable for the heatsink to be hotter than the free end of the tape.

1. What is the purpose of a heat sink and a shunt copper tape?

A heat sink is a device used to dissipate heat generated by electronic components, thereby preventing overheating and potential damage. A shunt copper tape is a conductive material used to redirect electrical current away from sensitive components. Together, they help regulate the temperature of electronic devices.

2. Can a shunt copper tape be used as a substitute for a heat sink?

No, a shunt copper tape cannot fully replace a heat sink. While it can redirect electrical current, it does not have the same ability to dissipate heat as a heat sink. Both components are necessary to effectively manage the temperature of electronic devices.

3. How does a shunt copper tape affect the temperature of a heat sink?

A shunt copper tape does not directly affect the temperature of a heat sink. Its primary function is to redirect electrical current, which can help prevent excess heat from building up in certain components. However, the overall temperature regulation is still dependent on the heat sink.

4. Why is the temperature of a shunt copper tape not equal to the temperature of a heat sink?

A shunt copper tape is designed to redirect electrical current, not dissipate heat. Therefore, it will not have the same temperature as a heat sink, which is specifically designed to regulate temperature. Additionally, the shunt copper tape may be in contact with different components or materials, causing variations in temperature.

5. Are there any risks associated with using a shunt copper tape with a heat sink?

There are minimal risks associated with using a shunt copper tape with a heat sink. However, it is important to ensure that the tape is properly insulated and does not come into direct contact with any sensitive components. Additionally, using a shunt copper tape with a heat sink may slightly increase the overall cost of the device.