What is the binding energy needed to shatter Earth by asteroid impact?

In summary, the size or mass of an asteroid that could completely destroy the Earth by breaking it apart would need to be comparable in size to Venus, or potentially smaller if it has high enough energy. The fusion process in the Sun is expected to convert it into a red giant in 5 billion years, with hydrogen fusion being replaced by helium fusion. And in terms of an imaginary planet, an asteroid of similar size to the planet could potentially break it apart if it has enough energy.
mersecske
Which is the asteroid size or mass
which can destroy the Earth totally
(I mean, breaking apart)?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I doubt one could, the Earth is ~6 billion trillion tonnes of matter. To completely break the Earth apart would require you to overcome the Gravitational Binding Energy of all the mass of the Earth, that would require 2.23E32 joules of energy. An asteroid, even a titanic sized one could only ever hope to vaporize the biosphere and perhaps break some fragments of the Earth off.

Fusion in the Sun

What is the time scale of the fusion (hydrogen into helium) in the Sun.
And what is the event rate?

I'm not sure what you mean by "event rate". In 5 billion years the sun will convert into a red giant, I believe that by this stage hydrogen fusion will be over and helium fusion will be dominant, you might want to google that though because I'm not 100% sure

Back to the asteroids and Earth.
My question is not about real world.
So let's see an imagenary planet, maybe smaller than Earth.
Asteroids usually cause only small demage on the surface,
but a real big one can brake the planet apart.
Maybe the size of the asteroid is comparable to the planet,
but my question is that it can be order of magnitude smaller or not?

mersecske said:
Back to the asteroids and Earth.
My question is not about real world.
So let's see an imagenary planet, maybe smaller than Earth.
Asteroids usually cause only small demage on the surface,
but a real big one can brake the planet apart.
Maybe the size of the asteroid is comparable to the planet,
but my question is that it can be order of magnitude smaller or not?

Well, the current theory about how the moon was generated suggests a mars-sized object had an off-centre collision with the Earth, and obviously the Earth survived that.

To take ryan_m_b's binding energy of 2.23e32 J, and typical collision velocities for objects in the solar system are on the order of 10km/s, so that means you need a mass of about 4e24 kg to provide that much energy, or roughly an object the size of Venus.

What is
"ryan_m_b's binding energy of 2.23e32 J"
?

mersecske said:
What is
"ryan_m_b's binding energy of 2.23e32 J"
?

The binding energy that ryan_m_b talked about before.
The potential energy keeping Earth together is 2.23x1032 joules, which means you fully break Earth apart, you would need to supply that amount of energy to the Earth.

Vagn said:
The binding energy that ryan_m_b talked about before.
The potential energy keeping Earth together is 2.23x1032 joules, which means you fully break Earth apart, you would need to supply that amount of energy to the Earth.

To be more accurate, you could shatter the Earth with less energy. The binding energy is the energy you need to impart to the Earth to prevent the resulting pieces from rejoining due to mutual gravitational attraction.

1. How likely is it that an asteroid will destroy Earth?

The likelihood of an asteroid destroying Earth is very low. NASA estimates that there is a 1 in 300,000 chance of a catastrophic asteroid strike in any given year. Additionally, NASA and other space agencies have systems in place to detect and track potentially hazardous asteroids, giving us time to develop and implement a plan to mitigate the threat.

2. Can we prevent an asteroid from destroying Earth?

Yes, it is possible to prevent an asteroid from destroying Earth. There are several proposed methods for deflecting an asteroid's trajectory, such as using a spacecraft to nudge it off course or detonating a nuclear bomb near it. However, these methods would need to be implemented well in advance of the asteroid's impact and would require significant resources and advanced planning.

3. How big does an asteroid have to be to destroy Earth?

The size of an asteroid needed to destroy Earth would vary depending on its composition and velocity. However, scientists estimate that an asteroid would need to be at least 1 kilometer in diameter to cause a global catastrophe. Asteroids of this size are rare and are closely monitored by space agencies.

4. What is the difference between an asteroid impact and a meteor impact?

An asteroid is a small, rocky object that orbits the sun, while a meteor is a small piece of debris that enters Earth's atmosphere. When a meteor enters the Earth's atmosphere, it creates a bright streak of light known as a meteor or shooting star. If the meteor survives its journey through the atmosphere and impacts the Earth's surface, it is then called a meteorite.

5. What would happen if an asteroid did strike Earth?

If an asteroid were to strike Earth, the effects would vary depending on the size and composition of the asteroid, as well as the location of impact. However, a large enough asteroid could cause widespread destruction and possibly lead to a global extinction event. The impact would also likely cause tsunamis, earthquakes, and other natural disasters, making it crucial to detect and prevent potential asteroid impacts.