Books/Publication written by famous physicists/mathematicians

• Thread starter Biloon
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking books or published articles written by famous physicists or mathematicians in order to gain a deeper understanding of math and physics. They plan to rebuild their basis in these subjects from the ground up and are specifically interested in topics such as calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and classical mechanics to quantum mechanics. They have found an introduction to calculus book by L. Euler which they consider to be the most fruitful textbook they have read. They are also looking for other publications from famous physicists and mathematicians, some of which may be available for free online. They mention some specific examples such as Euler's Elements of Algebra and Dirac's "Quantum Mechanics". They also mention Feynman's casual books and Spivak
Biloon
I want to find books or published articles authored by famous physicists or mathematicians. This is not because I'm any fan of them, but from my experience, I gained deep understanding by reading math or physics from the one who actually invented it.

My plan is to rebuild my math/physics basis from ground up, because I think even university textbooks nowadays omitted many important contents.

So basically, my math topics that I want to learned would be, but not only: calculus, diff equation, linear algebra, (maybe even in-depth trigonometry).
While my physics topics would be from classical mechanic to electricity to quantum mechanic

I found an introduction to calculus book by L. Euler, which I believe, the most fruitful calculus textbook I've ever read. It is incomparable with modern calculus textbook.

So if there's something like books or publications from famous physicist or mathematicians.

I think some publications are available online for free (I've found some of Euler's articles online)

Physics news on Phys.org
eulers elements of algebra is also the best beginning algebra book. if you read that, solving cubic equations will seems almost as simple to you as solving quadratics.

i.e. a cubic x^3 = fx + g is solved by writing it as f = 3ab, g = a^3+b^3 for some a,b.

Then x = a+b solves the cubic. But knowing f,g means we know both a^3+b^3 = g, and

a^3b^3 = f^3/27. Since e know the sum and prioduct of a^3 and b^3, we can find these cubes by solving a quadratic, namely t^2 - gt + f^3/27 = 0.

Then we get three values of a, by taking cube roots and b = f/3a.

e.g. solve x^3 = 15x + 126. the quadratic is t^2 - 126t + 125 = 0, so we get a^3 = 1, or 15. Then a = any cube root of 1, like a = 1. so b = 5, and x = 1+5 = 6.

try x^3 = 18x + 35.

By using the same cubic equation: x^3 = 15x + 126 how would I find a root by making the substitution x = y + 5/y?

Dirac "quantum mechanics" is the source for all other QM books.

Feynman's casual books six easy and not so easy pieces are pretty insightful.

Spivak's Differential Geometry Vol 2 contains a translation of Riemann's "On the Hypotheses which lie at the Bases of Geometry". There is also a translation of this famous paper by Clifford(pdf).

At Particle Physics from the very Beginning there are PDF and Tex versions in English and Russian of many famous papers in particle physics starting with Perrin, Becquerel and Thomson on to Bohr, Chadwick, Dirac, Born and so on.

Two books that immediately come to mind are Klein's and Weyl's expository accounts of Riemann surface theory. They're a bit dated in their presentation, and by no means an easy read, but there is much that can be learned from them. The precise references are

F. Klein, "On Riemann's theory of algebraic functions and their integrals: a supplement to the usual treatises", Dover, 2003.

H. Weyl, "The concept of a Riemann surface", Dover, 2009.

What books/publications are written by famous physicists/mathematicians?

Some famous books/publications written by physicists/mathematicians include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Theory of Relativity" by Albert Einstein, "The Principia" by Isaac Newton, "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, and "The Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy" by Sir Isaac Newton.

What is the significance of these books/publications in the field of science?

These books/publications are considered significant because they contain groundbreaking theories and discoveries that have greatly influenced our understanding of the physical world. They have also inspired and influenced future generations of scientists.

Are these books/publications accessible to the general public?

While some of these books/publications may contain complex scientific concepts, many of them are written in a way that is understandable to the general public. They often use analogies and examples to make the concepts more relatable and easier to grasp.

Are there any controversies surrounding these books/publications?

Some of these books/publications have faced controversies, either due to their controversial theories or the authors themselves. For example, "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin sparked debates about evolution, and "Mein Kampf" by Adolf Hitler is considered controversial due to its promotion of Nazi ideology.

Do these books/publications continue to be relevant today?

Many of these books/publications have stood the test of time and remain relevant today. The theories and concepts presented in them are still widely studied and applied in the fields of physics and mathematics. However, some may have been disproven or updated with new discoveries and advancements in science.