Integral kicking my butt

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the author is trying to solve a homework equation but does not understand what he is doing. He missed one question on a quiz but it looks right to him. He has gone over it a dozen times. The fraction part of the equation is:
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \frac{e^{2x}}{e^{2x}+3e^{x}+2}dx[/tex]

I don't understand what I am doing wrong here. I missed this one question on a quiz but it looks right to me, I have went over it a dozen times.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Fraction part:
[tex]\frac{e^{2x}}{(e^{x}+1)(e^{x}+2)} = \frac{Ae^{x}}{e^{x}+1} + \frac{Be^{x}}{e^{x}+2}[/tex]

[tex]e^{2x} = e^{2x}(A+B)+e^{x}(2A+B)[/tex]

[itex]A + B = 1[/itex]
[itex]2A + B = 0[/itex]
[itex]A=-1[/itex] and [itex]B=2[/itex]

Integral stuff:
[tex]\int -\frac{e^{x}}{e^{x}+1} + \frac{2e^{x}}{e^{x}+2}dx[/tex]

My solution:
[tex]-ln(|e^{x}+1|) + 2ln(|e^{x}+2|) + C[/tex]

??Edit: Additionally:
If one of the factors were (e^(2x)+1), does that count as a non-reducible polynomial and get A(e^x)+B as it's numerator instead of just plain A?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's as if the numerator of the integrand is of the same degree as the denominator. Use long division, or the following trick to reduce the "improper fraction", to a "mixed fraction".

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{e^{2x}}{e^{2x}+3e^{x}+2}=\frac{e^{2x}+3e^{x}+2}{e^{2x}+3e^{x}+2}-\frac{3e^{x}+2}{e^{2x}+3e^{x}+2}[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle =1-\frac{3e^{x}+2}{e^{2x}+3e^{x}+2}[/itex]​
Now use partial fractions.

QuarkCharmer said:

Homework Statement

I don't understand what I am doing wrong here. I missed this one question on a quiz but it looks right to me, I have went over it a dozen times.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Fraction part:
[tex]\frac{e^{2x}}{(e^{x}+1)(e^{x}+2)} = \frac{Ae^{x}}{e^{x}+1} + \frac{Be^{x}}{e^{x}+2}[/tex]

[tex]e^{2x} = e^{2x}(A+B)+e^{x}(2A+B)[/tex]

[itex]A + B = 1[/itex]
[itex]2A + B = 0[/itex]
[itex]A=-1[/itex] and [itex]B=2[/itex]

Integral stuff:
[tex]\int -\frac{e^{x}}{e^{x}+1} + \frac{2e^{x}}{e^{x}+2}dx[/tex]

My solution:
[tex]-ln(|e^{x}+1|) + 2ln(|e^{x}+2|) + C[/tex]

??Edit: Additionally:
If one of the factors were (e^(2x)+1), does that count as a non-reducible polynomial and get A(e^x)+B as it's numerator instead of just plain A?

I think you already have a correct solution there. It's a little unconventional, I think most people would substitute u=e^x first and then work with the polynomials in u. But I think you pulled it off.

Oh yeah, a sub would have made that a bit less annoying. Is it still correct though that I did the partial fraction decomposition when the degree of the num/den were equal?

For reference, the "correct" solution was:
[itex]ln(\frac{(e^{x}+2)^{2}}{(e^{x}+1)})+C[/itex]

But I am not seeing how you can use the properties of log to equate that to my solution?

QC,

I didn't look at your complete solution. I looked at your title & just suggested the usual first step to take before doing partial fractions.

Your solution is very interesting. I like it !

QuarkCharmer said:
Oh yeah, a sub would have made that a bit less annoying. Is it still correct though that I did the partial fraction decomposition when the degree of the num/den were equal?

For reference, the "correct" solution was:
[itex]ln(\frac{(e^{x}+2)^{2}}{(e^{x}+1)})+C[/itex]

But I am not seeing how you can use the properties of log to equate that to my solution?

You did a correct decomposition of the integral into two things you can integrate. I wouldn't exactly call it 'partial fractions' but it works. The only rules of log you need to show they are equal are things like log(a^b)=b*log(a) and log(a/b)=log(a)-log(b). You know those, right?

Dick said:
You did a correct decomposition of the integral into two things you can integrate. I wouldn't exactly call it 'partial fractions' but it works. The only rules of log you need to show they are equal are things like log(a^b)=b*log(a) and log(a/b)=log(a)-log(b). You know those, right?

Yeah I know those, but I don't have a condition like that (at least it's not apparent to me).
I have:
[itex]ln(a) - 2ln(b) = ...[/itex]

I couldn't figure out how to get rid of that 2.

Edit: Oh wait, you used that property to stick it back up into the exponent... That's where they got that squared term from. I never would have considered that lol. I just use that one to pull things down.

QuarkCharmer said:
Yeah I know those, but I don't have a condition like that (at least it's not apparent to me).
I have:
[itex]ln(a) - 2ln(b) = ...[/itex]

I couldn't figure out how to get rid of that 2.

Edit: Oh wait, you used that property to stick it back up into the exponent... That's where they got that squared term from. I never would have considered that lol. I just use that one to pull things down.

Right, use it to put the exponent back up.

I would argue for your points.
what you had and the answer are equivilent.

-ln(a) + 2ln(b) = ln(a[itex]^{-1}[/itex]) + ln(b[itex]^{2}[/itex])
= ln((a[itex]^{-1}[/itex])(b[itex]^{2}[/itex])) = ln ([itex]^{b^{2}}_{a}[/itex])

What is "Integral kicking my butt"?

"Integral kicking my butt" is a phrase used to describe the difficulty and challenges associated with understanding and applying the mathematical concept of integrals.

Why is "Integral kicking my butt" so difficult?

There are several reasons why "Integral kicking my butt" can be challenging. Integrals require a strong understanding of calculus and mathematical concepts such as limits and derivatives. They also involve complex problem-solving and critical thinking skills, which can be difficult for some individuals.

How can I improve my understanding of "Integral kicking my butt"?

The best way to improve your understanding of "Integral kicking my butt" is through practice and repetition. Work through a variety of problems, seek help from a tutor or teacher, and utilize online resources and textbooks to deepen your understanding of the concept.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when dealing with "Integral kicking my butt"?

One common mistake when dealing with "Integral kicking my butt" is not paying attention to the details and assumptions of the problem. It is also important to double-check your work and understand the steps and methods used to solve the integral, rather than just memorizing formulas.

What real-life applications are there for "Integral kicking my butt"?

Integrals have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to calculate areas, volumes, and rates of change, and are essential in solving many real-world problems in these fields.