How to find deflection of a composite cantilevered beam?

In summary, the task is to predict the deflection of a composite beam made of a steel and aluminum beam, given their respective Young's Modulus values. The student is unsure of how to approach this problem and is looking for guidance on determining the effective E and I values. They also mention a "spring thing" but are unsure of its relevance. They are not asking for a solution, but rather direction on how to proceed.
champbronc2

Homework Statement

Stack a steel beam on top of an aluminum beam. If you are given the Young's Modulus values (in psi) of each beam, try to predict the deflection of the "composite" beams.

Please view the "Hint" my teacher gave me in the pdf attachment in this post.

Homework Equations

Well, where do I go? I know the standard equation for deflection of a cantilever beam, but when you have a composite beam, what is the effective E and I values? (E= Young's Modulus and I = area moment of inertia)

I can't quite tell how the spring thing even helps when all I am given are the Young's Modulus values of each beam?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I am not asking so much for a solution as for what direction I ought to head.

Attachments

• Bending Lab Extra Credit.pdf
    39.7 KB · Views: 550
Physics news on Phys.org
champbronc2: You must list relevant equation(s) yourself, and show your work. We are not allowed to list relevant equation(s) for you, nor tell you how to do your homework. Make an attempt, and someone might check your math.

1. How do I calculate the deflection of a composite cantilevered beam?

To calculate the deflection of a composite cantilevered beam, you will need to know the material properties of each layer, the dimensions of the beam, and the applied load. You can use equations such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation or the Timoshenko beam equation to determine the deflection at a specific point on the beam.

2. What is a composite cantilevered beam?

A composite cantilevered beam is a type of beam that is made up of two or more different materials that are bonded together to form a single structural element. This type of beam is commonly used in engineering and construction applications to take advantage of the different properties of each material.

3. What factors affect the deflection of a composite cantilevered beam?

The deflection of a composite cantilevered beam is affected by several factors, including the material properties of each layer, the dimensions of the beam, the type and magnitude of the applied load, and the boundary conditions of the beam (i.e. how it is fixed or supported).

4. How does the deflection of a composite cantilevered beam compare to that of a solid beam?

The deflection of a composite cantilevered beam is typically lower than that of a solid beam made of the same material and with the same dimensions. This is because the different materials in a composite beam work together to resist deformation, resulting in a stiffer overall structure.

5. Can I use software or online calculators to find the deflection of a composite cantilevered beam?

Yes, there are many software programs and online calculators available that can help you find the deflection of a composite cantilevered beam. However, it is important to note that these tools may have limitations and may not account for all factors that can affect the deflection of a real-world beam. It is recommended to consult with a professional engineer for accurate and reliable results.