Solve log_b(xy): Express in terms of p, q

• Thread starter footprints
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, to express log_b(xy) in terms of p and q, we can use the given equations to find x and y in terms of p and q. This can be done by raising both equations to powers and manipulating them to get x and y alone. Once we have x and y, we can use the logarithm rules to express log_b(xy) in terms of p and q.
footprints
[tex]\text{Given that } log_b(x^3y)=p \text{ and } log_b(\frac{y}{x^2}) = q \text{ express } log_b(xy) \text{ in terms of p and q.}[/tex]
[tex]\text{ This is what I've done. } [/tex]
[tex]log_b(x^3y)=p----(1)[/tex]
[tex]log_b(\frac{y}{x^2})=q ----(2)[/tex]
1 - 2
[tex]5log_bx=p-q[/tex]
[tex]\text{ I'm stuck here. What do I do next? }[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Find log x and log y in terms of p and q first
then split log(xy)

primarygun said:
Find log x and log y in terms of p and q first
How do I do that?Could you show me the steps?

footprints said:
How do I do that?Could you show me the steps?

[tex] b^{p}=x^{3}y (1);b^{q}=xy^{-2} (2)[/tex]
(1)=>[tex] b^{2p}=x^{6}y^{2} (3) [/tex]
(2)*(3)=> [tex]x^{7}=b^{2p+q} (4) [/tex] => log_{b}x=...

Did u see a pattern??

Nope. I don't see a pattern. But I figured how to do it. Thanks for help.

1. What is the purpose of solving log_b(xy) and expressing it in terms of p and q?

The purpose of solving log_b(xy) and expressing it in terms of p and q is to simplify the logarithmic expression and make it easier to work with in mathematical calculations.

2. How can I express log_b(xy) in terms of p and q?

To express log_b(xy) in terms of p and q, we can use the logarithmic properties of exponents, specifically the product rule which states that log_b(xy) = log_b(x) + log_b(y). From there, we can express each individual logarithm in terms of p and q.

3. What is the relationship between p, q, and b in the expression log_b(xy)?

The relationship between p, q, and b in the expression log_b(xy) is that p and q are the bases of the individual logarithms, while b is the base of the overall logarithmic expression. This means that p^x is equivalent to log_b(x) and q^y is equivalent to log_b(y).

4. Can I solve log_b(xy) without expressing it in terms of p and q?

Yes, it is possible to solve log_b(xy) without expressing it in terms of p and q. However, expressing it in terms of p and q can make the calculation simpler and more efficient.

5. Are there any restrictions or limitations when solving log_b(xy) and expressing it in terms of p and q?

Yes, there are some restrictions when solving log_b(xy) and expressing it in terms of p and q. The values of p and q must be positive and not equal to 1, and the value of b must also be positive and not equal to 1. Additionally, the values of x and y must be positive and not equal to 1.