Understanding Genetic Similarity: Dawkin's Perspective on Family Lines

In summary, Dawkin's book "The Selfish Gene" discusses genetic relationships in family lines, stating that genetic similarity decreases exponentially as you go back in generations. The exact point at which genetic similarity is reached is difficult to determine due to variations in DNA sequences, but the Human Genome Project suggests that the similarity between any two people is about 99.9%, equating to approximately 10 generations. This calculation assumes no inbreeding, which has historically been common.
Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In Dawkin's book "The Selfish Gene", he discusses genetic relationships in family lines (e.g., your genetic similarity is 1/2 that of one of your parents, 1/4 of your grandparents, etc.). He mentioned that going back only a few generations, your genetic similarity to your family line is no different to than it is to the rest of the population.* At what point is that genetic similarity reached? In other words, what is my genetic similarity to the average human genome? In other other words, how many great-great-greats do I need to trace back before my ancestor is no different than a total stranger?

* Making extensive genealogy somewhat pointless?

Biology news on Phys.org
Thats a very good question. It could finally help us answer the age old problem- how distant must a relation be before I can sleep with her without it being immoral?

As in chess?

Phobos said:
In Dawkin's book "The Selfish Gene", he discusses genetic relationships in family lines (e.g., your genetic similarity is 1/2 that of one of your parents, 1/4 of your grandparents, etc.). He mentioned that going back only a few generations, your genetic similarity to your family line is no different to than it is to the rest of the population.* At what point is that genetic similarity reached? In other words, what is my genetic similarity to the average human genome? In other other words, how many great-great-greats do I need to trace back before my ancestor is no different than a total stranger?

* Making extensive genealogy somewhat pointless?
That remember the classic prize to the chess inventor (although with negative exponent). In this case there would be a dilutional effect of similarities growing exponentially with the number of generations going back. I don't know which is the % of allelic variation among human beings. Such knowledge could allow to calculate n. Are you in agreement?

I’ll take a stab at answering my own question…

Seems that different DNA sequences have different frequencies in the human gene pool, so perhaps a general comparison for the whole genome may be a bit tricky. But I seem to recall hearing from the Human Genome project that the similarity in genes of nuclear DNA between any two people is about 99.9%. That’s a 1/1000th difference, which works out to about 10 generations (1/2 gene similarity to parents, to grandparents, 1/8 to great grandparents, etc.)

Sound about right? Or is that 99.9% comparison too simplistic?

10 generations is only about 200-400 years of history...so perhaps genealogy is not a lost cause after all. :)

matthyaouw - I'll leave the morality question to you. :) But my calculation assumes no imbreeding...which is probably a poor assumption given the historical tendency for people to marry their cousins.

ryokan - Sure. My calculation above for determining 'n' generations is 1/(2^n) = 1/1000...so, n is about 10.

1. What are genetic relationships?

Genetic relationships refer to the biological connections between individuals based on shared genetic material. This can include family relationships, such as parents and siblings, as well as broader connections within a population or species.

2. How are genetic relationships determined?

Genetic relationships are determined by analyzing the similarities and differences in the genetic material, or DNA, of individuals. This can be done through techniques such as DNA sequencing or genetic testing.

3. Why are genetic relationships important?

Genetic relationships are important because they can provide insight into the evolutionary history and relatedness of different species, as well as help us understand patterns of inheritance and genetic diseases in humans.

4. Can genetic relationships change over time?

Yes, genetic relationships can change over time through processes such as genetic mutations and natural selection. This can result in new genetic relationships forming and old ones changing or disappearing.

5. How do genetic relationships impact human societies?

Genetic relationships can impact human societies in various ways, such as influencing social behaviors, cultural traditions, and the spread of genetic disorders. They can also play a role in determining familial relationships and inheritance patterns.