Find the charge density of a ring.

In summary, the professor wants you to write the charge density of a ring, which is likely ρ as a function of the radius. It would be helpful to start with Laplace's Equation, but if you are still confused, it would be best to ask for clarification from the professor or a classmate.
mateomy
I have no clue how to start this problem. The professor wrote:

"Write the charge density of a ring."

...and that's it.

I know it would probably be ρ as a function of the radius. But I don't know how to move forward. I was looking through the early section in Griffith's E&M Ch. 3 (That's where we are now) and it's roughly covering Laplace's Equation...so I think I need to start there, but I dunno.

I'm confused because it doensn't ask for a specific point of reference like you would ordinarily get in a general E&M problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you ask the professor or a classmate for clarification. You're obviously missing some context for that statement.

That's what I'm thinking. I've been anxiously pulling at my eyebrows stressing over this. Thanks for showing me that I'm not totally blind to something.

1. What is the formula for finding the charge density of a ring?

The formula for finding the charge density of a ring is ρ = Q / 2πrL, where ρ is the charge density, Q is the total charge on the ring, r is the radius of the ring, and L is the length of the ring.

2. How do you determine the total charge on a ring?

The total charge on a ring can be determined by multiplying the charge per unit length (λ) by the length of the ring. This can also be written as Q = λL.

3. What is the unit of charge density for a ring?

The unit of charge density for a ring is coulombs per meter (C/m).

4. Can the charge density of a ring be negative?

Yes, the charge density of a ring can be negative if the total charge on the ring is negative. This is often seen in situations involving induced charges.

5. How does the charge density of a ring affect the electric field around it?

The charge density of a ring affects the electric field around it by determining the strength of the electric field. A higher charge density will result in a stronger electric field, while a lower charge density will result in a weaker electric field.