A few questions on Nanotechnology (Microscopes/Optics)

Remember, practice makes perfect. In summary, numerical aperture is a measure of a lens's ability to capture light, and the lens is oil filled to increase this ability. The calculation for displacement per unit volt in the PZT piezoceramic material looks correct, and elevated temperatures can affect its properties and accuracy.
Eldara
I've been going through some past papers in preparation for my exam tomorrow. We have not been given the past paper answers so i was wondering if anyone could help me with some of the answers. I will post multiple questions here but help with any of them would be greatly apprechiated

Homework Statement
A microscope equipped with an oil filled objective lens with a numerical aperture of 1.2 is used to
image the patterned features on a semiconductor substrate. Define what is meant by the numerical
aperture and explain why the lens is oil filled. Using the Rayleigh Criteria, define the smallest
resolvable features when light of wavelength 633 nm is used to illuminate the substrate and the oil
filled objective is use

The attempt at a solution
Numerical Aperture is a numerical value which indicates the range of angles at which a system can accept/emit light

I know d = (0.61[Lambda]) / 2nsinu
and NA is nsinu.

Therefore d = (0.61*633*10^-9)/2.4

Is this correct? and why is the lens oil filled?

Homework Statement

A tube scanner made of a PZT piezoceramic material, which has a piezoelectric coefficient, d31=-
0.27x10
mV
, has a length of 12.5 mm and wall thickness of 0.5 mm. Calculate the ratio of
displacement dz per unit volt. How could elevated temperatures affect the piezoceramic material?

The attempt at a solution

Using a formula i can show that dz/U = L / h d(31) = 12.5*10^-3 / 0.27*10-12 * 0.5*10^-3

Is that correct for the displacement dz per unit volt, and how does elevated temperatures effect the materiel?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I am happy to help you with these questions. Let's start with the first one about the microscope and numerical aperture.

Numerical aperture is a measure of how much light can be captured by a lens. It is calculated by multiplying the refractive index of the medium (in this case, oil) by the sine of the maximum angle at which light can enter the lens. A higher numerical aperture means a greater ability to capture light, resulting in a clearer and more detailed image.

The lens is oil filled because oil has a higher refractive index than air, allowing for a higher numerical aperture and therefore better image resolution.

Next, for the second question about the PZT piezoceramic material and its displacement ratio per unit volt, your calculation looks correct. The displacement per unit volt is affected by the length and thickness of the material as well as the piezoelectric coefficient, which is a measure of how much the material can be deformed by an electric field.

Elevated temperatures can affect the piezoceramic material by changing its properties and potentially reducing the piezoelectric coefficient, resulting in a decrease in displacement per unit volt. Additionally, thermal expansion can cause the material to warp or deform, affecting the accuracy of the scanner.

I hope this helps and good luck on your exam tomorrow!

1. What is nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is the study and manipulation of matter on an incredibly small scale, typically at the nanometer level (one billionth of a meter). It involves engineering and creating materials, devices, and systems at the nanoscale to achieve specific properties and functions.

2. How are microscopes used in nanotechnology?

Microscopes are essential tools in nanotechnology, as they are used to view and manipulate objects at the nanoscale. Various types of microscopes, such as scanning electron microscopes and atomic force microscopes, use different techniques to achieve high magnification and resolution necessary for studying nanomaterials.

3. What is the difference between top-down and bottom-up approaches in nanotechnology?

Top-down approaches involve manipulating larger materials or structures to create smaller ones, while bottom-up approaches involve building materials or structures atom by atom or molecule by molecule. Both approaches have their advantages and are used in different applications in nanotechnology.

4. Can nanotechnology be used in optics?

Yes, nanotechnology has had a significant impact on the field of optics. Nanomaterials, such as quantum dots and plasmonic materials, have unique optical properties that can be utilized for various applications, including improving the performance of solar cells, creating advanced optical sensors, and developing more efficient displays.

5. What are some potential risks associated with nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is a relatively new field, and its potential risks are still being studied and evaluated. Some concerns include the potential toxicity of certain nanomaterials, the impact on the environment, and ethical considerations surrounding the use of nanotechnology. However, strict regulations and responsible practices can help mitigate these risks.