Showing Commutator Relations for [L^2, x^2]

In summary: You can't be productive if you're not well rested.In summary, the conversation discusses a misunderstanding of an exercise involving the operator x^2 and suggests the use of the homework template in future forum posts. It also advises the importance of getting enough sleep for productivity.
Observer Two
I'm doing something horribly wrong in something that should be very easy. I want to show that:

[itex][L^2, x^2] = 0[/itex]

So:

[itex][L^2, x x] = [L^2, x] x + x [L^2, x][/itex]

[itex]L^2 = L_x^2 + L_y^2 + L_z^2[/itex]

Therefore: [itex][L^2, x] = [L_x^2 + L_y^2 + L_z^2, x] = [L_x^2, x] + [L_y^2, x] + [L_z^2, x][/itex]

= [itex]L_y [L_y, x] + [L_y, x] L_y + L_z [L_z, x] + [L_z, x] L_z[/itex]

[itex]= -i h L_y z - ih z L_y + i h L_z y + i h y L_z[/itex]

So

[itex][L^2, x x] = -i h L_y z x - ih z L_y x + i h L_z y x + i h y L_z x
+ -i h x L_y z - ih x z L_y + i h x L_z y + i h x y L_z[/itex]

And now?

This ought to be a lot easier.

Physics news on Phys.org
Observer Two said:
I'm doing something horribly wrong in something that should be very easy. I want to show that:

[itex][L^2, x^2] = 0[/itex]
Where did this exercise come from? I suspect you misunderstand what ##x^2## means here, but I can't be sure without seeing the original unedited question.

(BTW, you're supposed to use the homework template when posting in this forum -- else you risk attracting the Wrath of the Mentors.)

Ughy. You are right. I looked it up again and it's not actually x^2 as in "position operator squared" but X^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2.

I didn't sleep for 29 hours now, working for some exams. I'm slightly confused. My bad. Next time I'll use the exact template. :redface:

Observer Two said:
I didn't sleep for 29 hours now, working for some exams. I'm slightly confused.
This is a really bad technique. You are probably more confused than you realize, maybe even approaching a delirium state. Non-sleeping is counter-productive. Things that take ages to understand or perform while tired tend to be much quicker when you're fresh.

Go and sleep (even if just for a few hours -- set the alarm clock accordingly).

I can understand your frustration with trying to prove this commutator relation. It may seem like a simple task, but sometimes even the simplest equations can be difficult to solve. However, it is important to approach this problem systematically and logically.

First, let's review the definition of a commutator. The commutator of two operators A and B is defined as [A, B] = AB - BA. In this case, we have A = L^2 and B = x^2. So the commutator [L^2, x^2] would be L^2x^2 - x^2L^2.

Next, let's expand L^2x^2 using the definition of the angular momentum operator L^2 = L_x^2 + L_y^2 + L_z^2. This gives us:

L^2x^2 = (L_x^2 + L_y^2 + L_z^2)x^2

= L_x^2x^2 + L_y^2x^2 + L_z^2x^2

Now, using the commutator definition, we can rewrite L_x^2x^2 as [L_x^2, x^2] + x^2L_x^2. Similarly, L_y^2x^2 can be rewritten as [L_y^2, x^2] + x^2L_y^2 and L_z^2x^2 as [L_z^2, x^2] + x^2L_z^2.

Substituting these back into our original equation, we get:

L^2x^2 = [L_x^2, x^2] + x^2L_x^2 + [L_y^2, x^2] + x^2L_y^2 + [L_z^2, x^2] + x^2L_z^2

Now, let's focus on the commutators [L_x^2, x^2], [L_y^2, x^2], and [L_z^2, x^2]. Using the commutator definition, we can rewrite them as:

[L_x^2, x^2] = L_x^2x^2 - x^2L_x^2

[L_y^2, x^2] = L_y^2

1. What is a commutator?

A commutator is a mathematical operation that measures the extent to which two operators, A and B, do not commute with each other. In other words, the commutator [A,B] is a measure of how much the order in which these operators are applied matters.

2. How is the commutator calculated?

The commutator [A,B] is calculated by taking the product of the two operators, AB, and subtracting the product of the operators in the reverse order, BA. In mathematical notation, the commutator is written as [A,B] = AB - BA.

3. What does the commutator tell us about the operators?

The commutator gives us information about how the operators A and B behave when applied to the same state. If the commutator is equal to zero, then the operators commute and can be applied in any order. If the commutator is non-zero, then the operators do not commute and the order in which they are applied matters.

4. Why is it important to show commutator relations for [L^2, x^2]?

Showing the commutator relation for [L^2, x^2] is important because it tells us about the fundamental behavior of two important operators in quantum mechanics: the angular momentum operator (L^2) and the position operator (x^2). This commutator relationship is essential for understanding the properties of these operators and their role in quantum mechanics.

5. How can we use the commutator relationship for [L^2, x^2] in practice?

The commutator relationship for [L^2, x^2] can be used to derive important equations in quantum mechanics, such as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. It can also be used to understand the behavior of physical systems and make predictions about their quantum states.