Calculating Short Circuit Current with Node Equations

In summary, the conversation is about finding the short circuit current between terminals a-b in a circuit. The individual is unsure how to use the node voltages to calculate the short circuit current and asks for help. Another person suggests considering the 3A current source and the current through the 16 Ohm resistor in the calculation. The original person shares their attempted KCL equations but notes they are incomplete due to uncertainty about how to express the current through the 16 Ohm resistor at the nodes. The conversation ends with a confirmation that the short circuit current does include the 3A current source and a suggestion to form the node equations accordingly.
princejan7

Homework Statement

http://postimg.org/image/b8p4rszot/

There is a short circuit between the terminals a-b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so I found the node voltages at 1 and 2, but I don't know how to use these to get the short circuit current...

Physics news on Phys.org
princejan7 said:

Homework Statement

http://postimg.org/image/b8p4rszot/

There is a short circuit between the terminals a-b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so I found the node voltages at 1 and 2, but I don't know how to use these to get the short circuit current...

If the short circuit current is just the current that flows in the a-b wire when terminals a and b are shorted, it would look to inolve the 3A current source and the current through the 16 Ohm resistor...

Attachments

• PF Circuit 01.png
    PF Circuit 01.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 432
berkeman said:
If the short circuit current is just the current that flows in the a-b wire when terminals a and b are shorted, it would look to inolve the 3A current source and the current through the 16 Ohm resistor...

whats the current through the 16ohm resistor that enters terminal a? is it 3A?

princejan7 said:
whats the current through the 16ohm resistor that enters terminal a? is it 3A?

Beats me. Show us your KCL equations and your solution of them. We can check your work.

berkeman said:
Beats me. Show us your KCL equations and your solution of them. We can check your work.

http://postimg.org/image/4b0617wj1/

I tried writing KCL equation's at the nodes marked to solve for the short circuit current but they're incomplete since I don't know how to express the current through the 16 ohm resistor entering/exiting those nodes

princejan7 said:
http://postimg.org/image/4b0617wj1/

I tried writing KCL equation's at the nodes marked to solve for the short circuit current but they're incomplete since I don't know how to express the current through the 16 ohm resistor entering/exiting those nodes

I = V2 / 16 Ohms

berkeman said:
I = V2 / 16 Ohms

ok thanks

also, does the short circuit current through a-b include anything of the 3A current source?

princejan7 said:
also, does the short circuit current through a-b include anything of the 3A current source?
Yes, assume it does and proceed to form the node equations accordingly.

1. What is short circuit current?

Short circuit current, also known as fault current, is the maximum current that flows through a circuit when there is a direct connection (short circuit) between the positive and negative terminals of a power source.

2. What causes short circuit current?

A short circuit can be caused by various factors, such as damaged insulation, faulty wiring, or faulty equipment. Essentially, any type of direct connection between the positive and negative terminals of a power source can result in a short circuit.

3. How does short circuit current affect a circuit?

Short circuit current can cause significant damage to a circuit, as it can result in excessive heat, voltage drops, and potentially lead to fires or explosions. It can also cause equipment to malfunction or fail completely.

4. How is short circuit current measured?

Short circuit current is typically measured in Amperes (A) using specialized equipment such as a clamp meter or a multimeter. It is important to accurately measure short circuit current in order to properly protect circuits and equipment.

5. How can short circuit current be prevented?

Short circuit current can be prevented by using safety measures such as fuses, circuit breakers, and ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) to protect against excessive current. Regular maintenance and inspections of electrical systems can also help prevent short circuits from occurring.