Beauty of old electrical and measuring things, etc.

In summary, the conversation revolved around an individual's passion for collecting and restoring old devices, particularly electrical components from the early 1900s. They shared photos of their collection, which included vintage bulbs, switches, and transformers, and discussed the craftsmanship and attention to detail of these items. The conversation also touched on the nostalgia and sentimental value of preserving and working with old technology. The individual credited their interest in old devices to a scrap collector who allowed them to explore his collection as a child.
dlgoff said:
... decided to make use of two cold cathode gas glow regulator tubes (0A3 & 0B3) that determined my output voltages. The 0A3 was designed for 75 volt regulation and the 0B3 was designed for 90 volt regulation.
When determining the regulator tube's current limiting resistor value, I under estimated the filtered rectified voltage (filter consisted of a 10 H choke and two 47 μF caps). So I had to up the value of the current limiter and use a 0D3 (designed for 150 volt regulation) in place of the 0B3. So now the output voltages are 75V, 150V, and 225V; nice 75V steps. Here's the thing showing it's beauty after the changes.

JLp8NFJ.jpg

Likes zoki85
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you operating a "rescue shelter" for old dinosaur parts? I've odds and ends that may eventually need to be placed in a "good home."

Likes dlgoff
Bystander said:
Are you operating a "rescue shelter" for old dinosaur parts? I've odds and ends that may eventually need to be placed in a "good home."
I probably won't live long enough to rescue all my old parts. We're going to need a joint effort here. Show me some of your "old parts beauty". :biggrin:

Be a day or two to get them all powdered and rouged for the camera.

Likes Charlie Cheap
Awesome Bystander. Take your time and enjoy the beauty.

IMGP0411.JPG

Likes zoki85 and dlgoff
Kudos dlgoff, very well done. What you did would make a wonderful display in a museum. Makes me feel really vintage though because almost all that stuff was ordinary everyday stuff to me sometime in the past.

I think kids could learn easier from displays of working things that are made so wonderfully visual as you did. Much better than static objects coupled with plastic murals with written narratives seen in most modern museums.

It would be wonderful if you can arrange for your work to be preserved and displayed to the public sometime in the future.

On a practical note, of all the things you showed, Bakelite I think is the one thing most difficult to preserve. Perhaps you can couple up with someone who has a 3D printer to make a replica before the Bakelite crumbles.

Likes Klystron and dlgoff
Bystander said:
Your test equipment is in really good shape Bystander. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

anorlunda said:
Kudos dlgoff, very well done. ... I think kids could learn easier from displays of working things that are made so wonderfully visual as you did.
Thank You. I'm hoping there are some kids that may see how it was done back in the "old days".

Regarding transformer with integrated rectifier:

There was a television manufacturer that used these. It was so long ago as to be in the murk, but I seem to recall the tube being a 5U4.

Some of those old televisions had crazy construction. I recall ones with ferro-resonate regulators...

Likes dlgoff
Mike_In_Plano said:
There was a television manufacturer that used these. It was so long ago as to be in the murk, but I seem to recall the tube being a 5U4.
You could be right. I was a kid when I got the old thing and though I remembered getting it from an old radio. I haven't been able to find anything on the web. If you're correct, I'll have to change the rectifier tube to the 5U4. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Mike_In_Plano said:
I can remember having one of those in high school. At that time i was scrounging parts to build a 50 watt stereo amplifier (6BQ5's).
Indeed it came from a television; that's where we got parts in early sixties... a local dump sold scrap TV chassis for 50 cents.
Even though it was just the right voltage I used a different transformer solely because that one was so ugly.
I used that stereo for around twelve years replacing it with Harmon Kardon solid state in mid '70's. Dad used it in his garage for another decade.
Ahhh nostalgia.

5U4 and 5Y3 have same pinout, former is somewhat more robust.
http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/5y3gt.pdf
http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/5u4gb.pdf

old jim

Likes davenn
jim hardy said:
I can remember having one of those in high school. At that time i was scrounging parts to build a 50 watt stereo amplifier (6BQ5's).
Indeed it came from a television; that's where we got parts in early sixties... a local dump sold scrap TV chassis for 50 cents.
Even though it was just the right voltage I used a different transformer solely because that one was so ugly.
I used that stereo for around twelve years replacing it with Harmon Kardon solid state in mid '70's. Dad used it in his garage for another decade.
Ahhh nostalgia.

old jim
I consider first hand information like this to be like peer review information. I'm going to change it to the 5U4. Thank you. :)

Here's a future beauty I'll be working on but it's what's on top that's very special to me.

qVpCb7y.jpg

M4Vzl7r.jpg

WuWQAej.jpg

It was a gift from a good friend and I used it to look up the base diagrams for the tubes in order to verify they were indeed interchangeable. ;)

Likes Klystron, Fred Wright, davenn and 1 other person
jim hardy said:
Ahhh nostalgia.

old jim

you're showing your age there, jimmy, me lud ;) haha

I really miss all the old tube radio restoration I used to do back in New Zealand

Hey Don
1954 on that ARRL manual ... not too many yrs before I was born ;)

Dave

davenn said:
you're showing your age there, jimmy, me lud ;) haha

It's kinda fun becoming antique. Grandson is fascinated by his new Christmas slide rule..

davenn said:
Hey Don
1954 on that ARRL manual ... not too many yrs before I was born ;)
Relative to me, that would make you a teenager. :D

wow, almost scared to ask your vintage ;)Happy New Year to both you and Jim ... have an outstanding 2015

Let's just say in 1954 i was in 3rd grade... President Eisenhower added "under God" to the pledge of allegiance... Navy launched the "Nautilus"...

jim hardy said:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :oldwink:
dlgoff said:
I consider first hand information like this to be like peer review information. I'm going to change it to the 5U4. Thank you. :)
You have a great memory Jim. I found a pic of the transformer I have used in the http://evilfurnaceman.tripod.com/id28.html [Broken].

hallicrt.jpg

I looked through my collection of vacuum tubes for a 5U4GB

5u4_std_1.jpg

and only found a 5U4G (which is more beautiful IMO)

5u4g_6.jpg

but the filament was open.

So now I have an order in for a used 5U4GB and a new-old 5U4G.
I'll post a pic of the power supply with the correct transformer 5U4GB vacuum tube when it arrives.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was very young, before starting school, my parents had a tube type radio that was outside of it's enclosure. They kept it on the top shelf of a cabinet where I could not reach it, for obvious reasons. I think that was what first sparked my interest in electronics. The glow of the tubes, the seemingly magical way it could bring in sound from afar, and of course the fact that it could also be dangerous, made it very interesting to me. I wanted to know how it worked.

I did a little collecting of old stuff myself a few decades ago. I still have some of it, but not at my current location. I may have some pictures on my hard drive. If I find them I'll post them here.

Likes dlgoff
TurtleMeister said:
I think that was what first sparked my interest in electronics. The glow of the tubes, the seemingly magical way it could bring in sound from afar, and of course the fact that it could also be dangerous, made it very interesting to me. I wanted to know how it worked.
So I'm not alone in how these old things sparked my interest in wanting to know how they worked. :approve:

While I've been waiting for the 5U4 tube to arrive, I've had time to take some pictures that may be of interest to some of our biological science members.

This vintage light bulb has a thick spiral carbon filament and has these markings: North American, (NALCO), 4CP 110V
It was used as a therapeutic heat source heating, for what I think are, tools for delivering blood absorbers and blood coagulants to the nose; from what was left in the vials I had to clean. I removed it to be displayed in one of my old surface fixtures and put a similar size blue bulb in it's place, which makes a good "night light".

vqtyJ4V.jpg

NSI6h9p.jpg

Mg9X8L7.jpg

ZvvUQuU.jpg

yeELYdd.jpg

Likes Richard Crane
dlgoff said:
Even as a kid, I saw beauty in old devices. That made me want to understand how they worked. I had lots of old things that I keep and now reviving. Old things need to work to see the beauty. Here's what I've done so far.
Very cool, impressive and beautiful collection, dlgoff! :)
dlgoff said:
If you have any thing old and would like to share a photo, please do. It's all beautiful in my mind.
The only electrical/electronic things I could think of were some vacuum tubes I've got (I don't know how old they are) and two Hewlett-Packard calculators, HP-22 and HP-27 from ca 1975-1978, here are some photos:

Telefunken tubes:
16269627565_fc44e58d4a_o.jpg

Siemens tubes:
16083505819_58834579d1_o.jpg

Philips tubes:
16083505959_05099f6a6c_o.jpg

Mullard tube, unknown tube, "opened" tube and a Luxor Radio tube case:
16082257720_d79444cce1_o.jpg

HP-22 and HP-27 calculators, and a HP case to them:

16082097648_b0409cb96c_o.jpg

16082260570_e16b80024f_o.jpg

Likes jim hardy and dlgoff
Very very cool stuff

DennisN said:
The only electrical/electronic things I could think of were some vacuum tubes I've got (I don't know how old they are) and two Hewlett-Packard calculators, HP-22 and HP-27 from ca 1975-1978, here are some photos:

Telefunken tubes:
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm8.staticflickr.com%2F7509%2F16269627565_fc44e58d4a_o.jpg

Siemens tubes:
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm8.staticflickr.com%2F7490%2F16083505819_58834579d1_o.jpg

Philips tubes:
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm8.staticflickr.com%2F7504%2F16083505959_05099f6a6c_o.jpg

Mullard tube, unknown tube, "opened" tube and a Luxor Radio tube case:
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm8.staticflickr.com%2F7494%2F16082257720_d79444cce1_o.jpg

HP-22 and HP-27 calculators, and a HP case to them:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm8.staticflickr.com%2F7462%2F16082097648_b0409cb96c_o.jpg

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm8.staticflickr.com%2F7496%2F16082260570_e16b80024f_o.jpg
Very nice. I really love the tubes. Especially the DY 87. Thank you for sharing these.

Ohhhhhhh, do i miss RPN calculators.

Likes Klystron and berkeman
dlgoff said:
So now I have an order in for a used 5U4GB and a new-old 5U4G.
I'll post a pic of the power supply with the correct transformer 5U4GB vacuum tube when it arrives.
They arrived today and I decided to us the G type since the voltage regulators are of that type.

69ijtYz.jpg

GVUOLzW.jpg

I added a 30,000K color temperature fluorescent tube and some more chemicals (glitter) to the chemistry glassware shelf. This revision goes out to Borek, who has enriched my life over the years.

T8L0732.jpg

Y2nOyMw.jpg

Likes Richard Crane, berkeman, davenn and 2 others
On the topic of ancient things, there used to be an ultra-precise multi-turn potentiometer that was great for building references. All I recall now are the Helipots, but this thing had rings within rings on the face. I cannot remember their name, but they were wonderful instruments.

Mike_In_Plano said:
On the topic of ancient things, there used to be an ultra-precise multi-turn potentiometer that was great for building references. All I recall now are the Helipots, but this thing had rings within rings on the face. I cannot remember their name, but they were wonderful instruments.
So it wasn't a Beckman Instruments Helipot? Interesting.
[/PLAIN] [Broken]
Helipot history

Last edited by a moderator:
Don,
Excellent video, and your probably correct that it had a Helipot buried in it, but assigned a product name to the whole thing, inclusive of the indicator rings.

I'm still moving on this Beauty project. I made some shelf room by putting the fluid gauges in a shadow box and did some restoration work on the old electrical meters which will go into their shadow box.

u0NEwfu.jpg

nAEx0C4.jpg

Stay tuned. Beauty via old Telephone Stuff coming soon.

Mike_In_Plano said:
I'm so happy I could kiss a duck on the beak after finally rediscovering this technology
That's the smallest "decade box" I've ever seen. Not like the ones I used in Physics II Lab. :oldeyes: Do you have one?

Speaking of small. This is the smallest "Variac" I've ever seen. It's used as a light intensity controller for a cystoscope diagnostic light. It's old and is stored in a cool wood, felt-lined box. The variable secondary scale has 14 divisions from DIM to BRIGHT. :oldtongue:

m0upBBj.jpg

bUsiEkP.jpg

1P7T6e1.jpg

vBlg2yp.jpg

Likes zoki85
dlgoff said:
Stay tuned. Beauty via old Telephone Stuff coming soon.
I'm getting close to getting the telephone stuff restored and displayed.

Here's how the fluid gauge and electrical meter shadow boxes turned out.

oCvIAhm.jpg

Likes Klystron