Putting undergraduate research in CV?

In summary: So it's more of a box to check than a point in your favor. In summary, the conversation discusses tips and confusion regarding creating a successful CV for applying to graduate school in the US for Bioengineering/Materials Science and Engineering programs. It also covers questions about including descriptions for undergraduate research, TAing and tutoring, and extracurricular activities and leadership positions. The conversation also mentions the use of templates and the importance of reading instructions for each school carefully. Finally, it addresses the inclusion of non-academic activities, such as playing rugby, in the CV.
ducky
I've been looking at tips and articles about how to create a successful CV for applying to graduate school in the US, but I'm getting confusing results about certain things. I plan on applying to Bioengineering/Materials Science and Engineering programs. My undergraduate degree is in Physics at a small liberal arts institution.

Am I to include basic descriptions for what undergraduate research I've done? What about for TAing and tutoring? Should I include a short description of my responsibilities? I looked at some that have descriptions and some that only have titles. I don't have any publications.

For extracurriculars and leadership, I have had leadership positions in SPS, so I was definitely going to include that, but I'm also captain of the rugby team. Is that something that I should include, even though it's not related to my academics? It shows leadership, but I'm also afraid graduate programs won't take me seriously if I put it on there...

Are descriptions (for everything mentioned above, plus awards, etc.) a good or bad thing on a CV?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, is an objective necessary at the top? I feel like that should be what my personal statement is about...

For context: I'm an undergraduate as well. A good way to get a decent CV is to find a sample (Google/Bing would be useful here, or ask a professor) then start basing yours from that. The Owl at Purdue website has some information regarding writing CVs as well.

As far as descriptions, it depends on what the titles you have written. For instance, I have long titles to talks and such so that the overall topic may be taken from the title. If you participated in a competition, you may wish to have your rank in a bullet underneath the titles and date.

Objectives to some people are good, but can be considered tacky by other people. Honestly, I've received conflicting advice on the matter. For what it's worth, I don't have an objective on mine.

There are some pretty decent templates online if you are a LaTeX user. Part of a good CV is a consistent format. LaTeX is actually much easier in this regard than say Word (what if you look at it through different versions of Word, someone has a different program like LibraOffice, etc). If your school has a writing/career center (or a prof. who does technical writing) you could request that they read over your CV for you.

JaredEBland said:
For context: I'm an undergraduate as well. A good way to get a decent CV is to find a sample (Google/Bing would be useful here, or ask a professor) then start basing yours from that. The Owl at Purdue website has some information regarding writing CVs as well.

As far as descriptions, it depends on what the titles you have written. For instance, I have long titles to talks and such so that the overall topic may be taken from the title. If you participated in a competition, you may wish to have your rank in a bullet underneath the titles and date.

Objectives to some people are good, but can be considered tacky by other people. Honestly, I've received conflicting advice on the matter. For what it's worth, I don't have an objective on mine.

There are some pretty decent templates online if you are a LaTeX user. Part of a good CV is a consistent format. LaTeX is actually much easier in this regard than say Word (what if you look at it through different versions of Word, someone has a different program like LibraOffice, etc). If your school has a writing/career center (or a prof. who does technical writing) you could request that they read over your CV for you.

Yeah. I've been looking at examples online, and that's actually how I got confused. I couldn't find any made by undergraduates in science/engineering specifically. I found plenty for people with PhDs who have lots of publications and such. I'm just trying to make the best CV possible for my grad school applications.

Your comment on descriptions makes sense. I plan on having someone look over it once it looks relatively decent. Ha

Make sure you read the instructions for each school carefully. Some, for example, may want things in a very specific format. Some may not even want a CV, but simply to have you fill out a template.

ducky said:
Am I to include basic descriptions for what undergraduate research I've done?
In general, yes. This is quite common. You can include details of your own spific contributions to the project(s) as well.

What about for TAing and tutoring? Should I include a short description of my responsibilities? I looked at some that have descriptions and some that only have titles.
It's good to include details such as the course level and material covered and your specific duties. These can be cut down or out completely if you have to conserve space, though. If you were the TA for a first year physics course, most people in the field will have an understanding of what that would have involved.

I don't have any publications.
Then don't worry about it. While they're good to have, they're not critical. Remember also, things like conference abstracts can count in this respect.

For extracurriculars and leadership, I have had leadership positions in SPS, so I was definitely going to include that, but I'm also captain of the rugby team. Is that something that I should include, even though it's not related to my academics? It shows leadership, but I'm also afraid graduate programs won't take me seriously if I put it on there...
The rugby is not a plus or a minus in my opinion, but it does help to present a complete picture of who you are as a person. It can be one of the first things to cut out if you need the room, but sometimes a little detail like this can be helpful. Keep in mind thought that leadership is best demonstrated through documented accomplishments rather than offices held.

Are descriptions (for everything mentioned above, plus awards, etc.) a good or bad thing on a CV?
You don't want too many details, but some description is allowable and even sometimes necessary simply to convey the magnitude of an accomplishment. Stating that you received XYZ Scholarship is one thing. But if you were selected out of 4000 applicants based on evaluation of academic merit, and that the scholarship was valued at $10k per year for four years, that's quite another.

Likes 1 person

Thank you! I feel better about my CV now.

Another question:

I did a poster and oral presentation at my REU last summer and will be presenting at an undergraduate conference at the end of this summer, so not presentations at national conferences, and neither are of published work. And I also did a presentation for my department. Can I still put these on my CV?

ducky said:
Another question:

I did a poster and oral presentation at my REU last summer and will be presenting at an undergraduate conference at the end of this summer, so not presentations at national conferences, and neither are of published work. And I also did a presentation for my department. Can I still put these on my CV?

I'm still looking for input about this. Also, if I add a relevant coursework section, would I just include all the courses I've taken in addition to the ones required by my physics undergraduate curriculum? (Organic Chemistry, Biophysical Chemistry, etc.)

1. What is the purpose of including undergraduate research in a CV?

The purpose of including undergraduate research in a CV is to highlight your academic achievements and demonstrate your research experience and skills to potential employers or graduate school admissions committees. It also shows your dedication and passion for your field of study.

2. How should I format undergraduate research on my CV?

Undergraduate research should be listed as a separate section on your CV, with the title, location, and dates of the research project. Include a brief description of the project, your role, and any notable achievements or results. You can also include the name of your research advisor or mentor.

3. What if I have multiple undergraduate research experiences?

If you have multiple undergraduate research experiences, you can list them in chronological order starting with the most recent one. If you have a lot of research experience, you can also group them into different categories, such as by subject or type of research.

4. Should I include undergraduate research if it was not published or presented?

Yes, you should still include undergraduate research on your CV even if it was not published or presented. The experience and skills you gained from the research project are still valuable and can be highlighted in your CV.

5. Can I include undergraduate research from a different field of study on my CV?

Yes, you can include undergraduate research from a different field of study on your CV if it is relevant to the position or program you are applying for. However, make sure to explain the relevance and highlight the skills and knowledge you gained from the research experience in your CV.