Considering Re-Writing Open Source Code in Qt for Science Research

In summary, the speaker has found open source code in wx that they are considering rewriting in qt and adding new functionality to. They are seeking feedback from the community on whether this is a worthwhile endeavor and an estimate of the time it would take. The code is approximately 700 lines and written in python. The speaker is familiar with wxpython and somewhat familiar with pyqt. They are also asked about the specific code they want to convert and the type of functionality they want to add, as the decision to convert to Qt depends on these factors.
rigetFrog
I found some open source code in wx that I'm considering re-writing in qt and adding some new functionality to. It's for science research.

Before I do, I wanted some feedback from the community if this is a worth while endeavor and an estimate of how long it would take. It's about 700 lines of code.

Technology news on Phys.org
it's in python

I'm very familiar with wxpython and somewhat familiar with pyqt. What's the code you want to convert? What kind of functionality did you want to add? Whether it's worth it to convert to Qt depends on how much new functionality you are planning and what that functionality is.

1. What is Qt and why is it beneficial for scientific research?

Qt is a cross-platform framework that is used for developing graphical user interfaces (GUI) and applications. It is beneficial for scientific research because it allows for the creation of visually appealing and user-friendly interfaces, making it easier for researchers to analyze and present their data.

2. Can existing open source code be easily rewritten in Qt?

Yes, Qt provides a wide range of tools and libraries that make it relatively easy to convert existing code to Qt. However, the level of difficulty will depend on the complexity and size of the code.

3. What are the main advantages of using Qt for scientific research?

Some of the main advantages of using Qt for scientific research include its cross-platform compatibility, efficient memory management, and the ability to easily integrate with other programming languages and libraries. It also has a large community of developers and provides comprehensive documentation and support.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to re-writing open source code in Qt?

The main drawback of re-writing open source code in Qt is the time and effort it may require, especially for larger and more complex projects. Additionally, there may be a learning curve for those who are not familiar with Qt, but this can be overcome with practice and resources provided by the Qt community.

5. Is it worth the effort to re-write open source code in Qt for scientific research?

It ultimately depends on the specific needs and goals of the research project. If a visually appealing and user-friendly interface is important for presenting and analyzing data, then it may be worth the effort to re-write the code in Qt. However, if the current code is already functioning well and the interface is not a priority, it may not be necessary to switch to Qt.