Multiple birth and cut algorithm

In summary, the conversation centers around an algorithm called "multiple birth and cut" and its potential use in detecting nuclei in histopathology images. The person is looking for open source software for this algorithm but mentions that the mathematics involved may be too complicated. They also mention a few other software options but are not exactly what they need.
physical101
Hi there

I have found an algorithm within the literature that is known as multiple birth and cut.

It is in a word fantastic! It seems like it has the potential to solve a problem I have been fighting with.

I have been tasked with detecting nuclei in histopathology images and so far the best things I could come up with is using the hough transform with simulated annealing. It takes time and the underlying assumptions are all wrong!

Does anyone know of any opensource software for the above algorithm? I would say that it would be worth doing it from scratch but the mathematics is too complicated (markov random field strategies and gibbs sampling to name but a few).

Thanks for looking guys

D

Technology news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand what you need to plot, but have you looked into Paraview or Mayavi?

They are pretty epic but not quite what I'm after. However I know a few people who will be interested so thanks for the links

oops...sorry...wrong thread...I thought my post hadn't gone through to this thread, when I saw a page without my posting...too many Chrome tabs open...:confused:

What is the "Multiple birth and cut algorithm"?

The Multiple birth and cut algorithm is a mathematical method used to solve combinatorial optimization problems. It is often applied to problems such as scheduling, routing, and resource allocation.

How does the algorithm work?

The algorithm works by creating a tree structure in which each node represents a potential solution to the problem. The algorithm then uses a series of cuts to eliminate branches of the tree that do not lead to the optimal solution.

What are the advantages of using the Multiple birth and cut algorithm?

The Multiple birth and cut algorithm is advantageous because it can find the optimal solution to a problem in a relatively short amount of time. It is also flexible and can be applied to a wide range of problems.

What are some common applications of the Multiple birth and cut algorithm?

The Multiple birth and cut algorithm is commonly used in the fields of operations research, computer science, and engineering. It can be applied to problems in transportation, logistics, manufacturing, and other industries.

Are there any limitations to the Multiple birth and cut algorithm?

Like any algorithm, the Multiple birth and cut algorithm has its limitations. It may not be suitable for solving problems with a large number of variables or complex constraints. It also relies on the quality of the initial solution and may not always find the global optimum.