Advise for engineering student interested in physics?

In summary: Probability is definitely helpful, but I think you can learn the basics without it.Anyway, those are some of my thoughts. If you have any more questions, please let me know!
Normal
Hello everyone, I'm new to PF and it seems like a great community. I have a few questions about physics education and I'd be very thankful for any responses (really, anything is greatly appreciated!) and insight you all may have.

A little background:
I am a 4th year mechanical engineering undergraduate at a "good" university in the US. I've been immensely fascinated with physics and science from a very young age.

I've taken some physics related courses like heat transfer, vibrations, intro physics courses (basic mechanics and EM), fluid mechanics, thermo, controls, basic dynamics, basic chemistry and some engineering labs.
Some math courses: Intro Calc classes (1, 2, and 3) and intro to ODE and a basic numerical methods course.

I'm currently working as an undergrad researcher and my first manuscript will soon be sent for review. My current research is related to analytical chemistry and fluid flow but this is not my main passion. Currently my main passion is physics and math.

Main question: In your opinion, which courses are most likely to offer a decent and broad background in physics? I will spend another 2 years at this university and am almost done with my engineering degree so I have the opportunity to take a few physics (and/or math) courses (out of interest). About 4-6 courses.

Which 5 physics courses would you all recommend? Intro to modern physics? Electromagnetism 1 and 2? Intro Quantum Physics? What offers the best introduction and opens the doors to a broad range of concepts?

I'm unsure about what I want to do in the future. Any advise for grad school? Is it at all likely to be accepted to a great physics graduate program with only a slight background in physics?

Thanks to everyone for reading and commenting!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're considering grad school in physics, keep in mind the "core four" subjects that grad schools generally expect you to have studied, above the first-year intro physics level:

• Classical mechanics
  • Electromagnetism
  • Quantum mechanics
  • Thermodynamics & statistical mechanics

You've already studied classical mechanics and thermo, although from an engineer's point of view rather than a physicist's point of view. For example, I suspect you haven't studied the Lagrangian formulation of mechanics, nor the statistical mechanics approach to thermodynamics. However, starting from what you already know, you can probably self-study the extra parts if you don't have time to take full CM and thermo courses.

I would focus on those areas that you don't have any upper-level experience with: electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. I'd suggest taking the "intro modern physics" course before QM, because it will expose you to a wider range of topics and give you more historical background than the QM course, which will probably focus on the math and problem-solving aspects of QM. I wouldn't be surprised if intro modern is a prerequisite for QM at your university, anyway. That's the way it is at the school where I work.

Likes 1 person
Thank you for your reply jtbell, I can see how electromagnetism and quantum mechanics would be useful for grad school. I am able to self-study many subjects so I doubt that self-studying statistical mechanics and the Lagrangian formulation will be too challenging.

Do you think these introductory courses will allow me to self-study deeper topics in the future?

Keep in mind, the main reason I'm considering taking physics classes is out of interest, not so much for any career or academic goal.

Also, are there any mathematics courses I should take? Or otherwise self-study? Anything fundamental or anything that is an absolutely necessary pre-req? Are proofs the best way to learn the math tools needed for physics? Is the formal education route the best route, or are online resources making formal education obsolete (for those who can self-study)?

Sorry for the overwhelming number of questions and please forgive my ignorance and generalizations. Thank you so much for your insight!

I double majored in EE and Physics. I took E&M 1 and 2, Optics, Classical Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics, Intro to Modern Physics, and a couple of others. I took another class (generic Junior level Physics class) where we discussed things like tidal forces, general relativity, and cosmology. It covered a LOT of material and was very interesting, but had relatively little math, which meant it was a little harder for me than the other classes were. I'd personally like to go back and take E&M 3.

As for math, I took Applied Mathematics (for a Math minor) and Probability (required for my EE major). We did Lagrangians and Hamiltonians in Applied Mathematics, and then I re-learned those in Classical Mechanics. I think the courses you have may be sufficient.

Likes 1 person

Hi there! It's great to hear that you have a passion for physics and are considering taking some courses to further your knowledge in the subject. I would suggest that you first identify your specific interests within physics. This will help guide you in selecting the most relevant and beneficial courses for you.

That being said, here are some general recommendations for engineering students interested in physics:

1. Introductory Modern Physics: This course will provide you with an overview of the key concepts and theories in modern physics, such as relativity and quantum mechanics. It will also introduce you to the mathematical tools used in these fields.

2. Electromagnetism: As an engineering student, you may already have a strong foundation in this topic. However, taking a dedicated course in electromagnetism will allow you to delve deeper into the subject and understand its applications in physics.

3. Quantum Mechanics: This course will introduce you to the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and its applications in various fields of physics. It is a key subject for those interested in pursuing graduate studies in physics.

4. Statistical Mechanics: This course will provide you with a solid understanding of the principles of statistical mechanics, which is essential for understanding the behavior of systems at the microscopic level. It is a key topic in many areas of physics, including condensed matter physics and thermodynamics.

5. Mathematical Methods for Physics: This course will introduce you to the mathematical tools and techniques used in advanced physics courses. It will also help you develop your problem-solving skills, which are crucial for success in physics.

As for your question about graduate school, having a strong background in physics is definitely beneficial, but it is not a requirement. Many graduate programs in physics also consider applicants with a strong background in math, as long as they have a genuine interest in physics and have taken some relevant courses. It would be a good idea to reach out to professors in the physics department at your university and discuss your interests and goals with them. They may have some valuable advice for you.

I wish you all the best in your academic pursuits! Keep exploring and learning about physics, and don't hesitate to ask for guidance from experts in the field. Good luck!

1. How can I prepare for a career in physics as an engineering student?

As an engineering student, you already have a strong foundation in math and problem-solving skills, which are essential for a career in physics. To further prepare, consider taking additional physics courses, participating in research projects or internships, and networking with professionals in the field.

2. Is it necessary to have a physics background to excel as an engineer?

While having a background in physics can be beneficial for engineering, it is not a requirement. Many successful engineers have a strong foundation in math, which can be applied to various engineering principles. However, having a basic understanding of physics concepts can enhance problem-solving abilities in engineering.

3. What are some recommended resources for self-studying physics as an engineering student?

There are many online resources available for self-study in physics, such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Physics Classroom. It is also helpful to refer to textbooks and practice problems to solidify your understanding of concepts.

4. How can I balance my engineering course load with my interest in physics?

Time management is key when balancing multiple interests as a student. It can be helpful to schedule specific times for studying physics and engineering separately, and to prioritize your workload accordingly. Don't be afraid to seek help from professors or peers if you feel overwhelmed.

5. What are some potential career paths for engineering students interested in physics?

There are various career paths that combine engineering and physics, such as aerospace engineering, materials science, and mechanical engineering. Additionally, many engineering companies and research institutions require individuals with both engineering and physics backgrounds for specialized roles.