What Books Do I Need for a BS in Applied Math?

In summary: Differential equations, linear algebra, and complex analysis are required for EE and CS degrees, so those are definitely covered.
thankz
:confused:

I think I finally got all my books that I need to learn the equivalent of a bs in applied math, please tell me what I'm missing.

algebra 1
algebra 2
geometry
trigonometry
pre calc
calc 1
calc 2
calc 3
analytic geometry
probability
stat 1
stat 2
differential equations
linear algebra
complex analysis
numerical analysis
differential geometry

and I got other books like boas and electrical engineering and cs math

also discrete math books, these are the paper books I have.

am I missing anything? I got 100 gigs of ebooks (and what should amount to a phd in pure math woth )but I only want to put the ones i'll use on my math usb stick.

Physics news on Phys.org
It all depends on how far and how deeply each book goes. I've seen stats 1 & 2 books that only took the subject to 'A' level not degree level.
What do you mean by applied maths. To me it would include mechanics, electromagnetic theory up to Maxwell's equations, relativity and hydrodynamics. Possibly other areas.

I've got all my physics books, I was wondering more specifically about the math. what does 'A' level mean? I've looked at a lot of college websites to see what their curriculum was like and I think I've got it covered but I still want a second opinion.

bhillyard said:
What do you mean by applied maths. To me it would include mechanics, electromagnetic theory up to Maxwell's equations, relativity and hydrodynamics. Possibly other areas.

To me, that stuff is part of a physics BS, not an applied math BS.

I think the OP should say what country he's in, else he'll get responses from all over the globe based on varying definitions of "applied math(s)" which may or may not match what he's thinking of.

I think that is a nice "core" curriculum of an applied math degree. You can add courses like control theory, combinatorics/graph theory, various statistics courses, etc to specialize

to wj2cho, my discrete math books cover that, I also got a students guide to maxwells equations and mathematicas for the physical sciences as well as some more mathematical methods books in pdf that I grabbed off of uni courses.this should cover me in EE and CS.

Last edited:
I wouldn't take a stats course or waste my time reading a stats book unless it was post calculus based statistics because otherwise its just watered down, useless information that you can learn in easily by doing post calculus stats

1. What is a BS in applied math?

A BS in applied math is a Bachelor of Science degree in the field of applied mathematics. It is an undergraduate program that focuses on the practical application of mathematical principles and techniques to solve real-world problems in areas such as physics, engineering, finance, and computer science.

2. What are the career options for someone with a BS in applied math?

Graduates with a BS in applied math have a wide range of career options. They can work as data analysts, financial analysts, risk analysts, operations research analysts, actuaries, statisticians, and more. They can also pursue graduate studies in fields such as mathematics, computer science, economics, or business.

3. Is a BS in applied math a difficult degree?

A BS in applied math can be challenging for some students as it involves advanced mathematical concepts and techniques. However, with dedication and hard work, it is a manageable degree for those with a strong interest and aptitude for mathematics.

4. What skills are needed for a BS in applied math?

To succeed in a BS in applied math, students should have a strong foundation in mathematics including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. They should also have critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Knowledge of computer programming and familiarity with statistical software is also beneficial.

5. Can a BS in applied math lead to a career in research?

Yes, a BS in applied math can provide a strong foundation for a career in research. Graduates can pursue research opportunities in various fields such as pure mathematics, applied mathematics, physics, economics, or engineering. They can also continue their education by pursuing a graduate degree in a specific area of interest.