What is the difference in masses of planets A and B?

In summary, the conversation discusses the mass of a robot on two different planets and the difference in their masses. The equation F = G * (m1*m2)/(r^2) is used to calculate the mass difference, with one person getting a different answer initially but eventually confirming the same answer as the other person. The conversation ends with one person expressing relief and confirming the correctness of their answer.
Serena_Greene
I think I have done this problem correctly,

The mass of a robot is 6680 kg. This robot weighs 3070 N more on planet A than it does on planet B. Both planets have the same radius of 4.00 x 10^8. What is the difference Ma - Mb in the masses of these plantes?

I used this equation F = G * (m1*m2)/(r^2)
F = 3070 N
m1 = robot
mb = extra mass of planet A
r = 4.00 x 10^8

3070 = 9.673 x 10^-11 * 6680m2/ (4.00 x 10^8)^2
3070 = (2.786 x 10^-24)m
1.1019 x 10^27 = m

Is this correct or do I have it totally wrong?

-Serena

Physics news on Phys.org
I got a different answer, you seem to have typed it wrong into your calculator, the equation's the same as mine.

EDIT: Never mind. I had used the gravitational constant you typed, which was wrong :). I got the same answer now.

Last edited:
I tried it, though not using your technique, and your answer seems correct. Same answer from two different methods is usually a good sign.

Although your answer should be in kg, not m.

Thanks!

I just wanted to make sure before I typed it into GradePlus. It was correct (I had already used up a try as I couldn't get the entire number in, but found out I could use Exponents) I asked my Physic teacher if I did the problem correctly and he started to do the problem, and he couldn't do the problem.

-Serena

What is the definition of planet mass?

Planet mass refers to the total amount of matter contained within a planet, including its atmosphere and any moons or other orbiting bodies.

What is the range of planet mass among different planets in our solar system?

The range of planet mass in our solar system is quite vast, with the smallest planet, Mercury, having a mass of 0.055 Earth masses, and the largest, Jupiter, having a mass of 318 Earth masses.

What factors affect the mass of a planet?

The mass of a planet is primarily determined by its size and composition. Generally, larger planets tend to have more mass due to their larger gravitational pull, and planets with denser materials, such as iron and rock, tend to have greater mass.

How does planet mass affect planetary characteristics?

The mass of a planet can greatly influence its characteristics, such as its surface gravity, atmospheric composition, and potential for supporting life. Planets with greater mass tend to have stronger gravitational forces, which can affect the shape of the planet and the behavior of objects on its surface.

Is there a correlation between a planet's mass and its distance from the sun?

There is no direct correlation between a planet's mass and its distance from the sun. However, in our solar system, the four inner planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars) are all relatively small and have a lower mass compared to the four outer planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune), which are much larger and have a higher mass.