Peskin & Schroeder's proof of Wick's Theorem

In summary, The person is discussing a step in Peskin & Schroeder's proof of Wick's Theorem and is questioning how they factor out the normal ordering operator in the middle of the page. They also mention a typo in a previous statement and provide a potential solution involving commutators and normal ordering notation. Another person agrees with this solution but notes that there may be cross terms to consider.
emob2p
Hi,
I am stuck on a step Peskin & Schroeder give in their proof of Wick's Theorem (Intro to Quantum Field Theory, p 90). In the middle of the page when they consider the term with no contraction, it seems like in between the 1st and 2nd lines they somehow factor out the normal ordering operator. How is this legal? I've attached a bmp of what I'm talking about. Thanks

*Typo...There shouldn't be an equal sign after the last commutator in the bmp.

Attachments

• ps.bmp
    56 KB · Views: 843
Physics news on Phys.org
emob2p said:
Hi,
I am stuck on a step Peskin & Schroeder give in their proof of Wick's Theorem (Intro to Quantum Field Theory, p 90).
I think the step is far more complicated than it seems ; I think you have to work out first the commutator for each term of the kind:
[tex] | \phi_1^+, \phi_2^- \phi_3^-...\phi_m^+ | [/tex]
which, by working out the distributivity of the commutator, equals:
[tex] | \phi_1^+, \phi_2^-| \phi_3^-... + \phi_2^-|\phi_1^+,\phi_3^-|\phi_4^- ... [/tex]
Recognizing that the commutators are C-numbers, the remaining factors can be recognized to be in normal order, so you can go back to the N() notation, and you end up with the second term in the second line.
Sorry, I used | instead of brackets because it screwed up my inline latex
cheers,
Patrick.

Last edited:
That was my thought too, except let's say [tex] \phi_n = \phi_n^+ + \phi_n^- [/tex]. Then [tex] \phi_2\phi_3 [/tex] won't simply be [tex] \phi_2^-\phi_3^- + \phi_2^+\phi_3^+ [/tex] because you'll have the cross terms.

Last edited:

1. How does Wick's Theorem relate to quantum field theory?

Wick's Theorem is a powerful tool used in quantum field theory to simplify calculations involving creation and annihilation operators. It allows us to rewrite time-ordered products of operators in terms of normal-ordered products, making calculations more manageable.

2. What is the significance of Peskin & Schroeder's proof of Wick's Theorem?

Peskin & Schroeder's proof of Wick's Theorem provides a rigorous mathematical basis for using this tool in quantum field theory calculations. It also helps to clarify any misconceptions and ensures that the theorem is applied correctly.

3. Can Wick's Theorem be applied to any type of operator?

Yes, Wick's Theorem can be applied to any operator that can be written in terms of creation and annihilation operators. This includes bosonic and fermionic operators.

4. Is Wick's Theorem only applicable to free fields?

No, Wick's Theorem can be applied to both free and interacting fields. However, it is most commonly used in perturbative calculations involving free fields.

5. Are there any limitations to using Wick's Theorem?

While Wick's Theorem is a useful tool in quantum field theory calculations, there are some limitations to its use. It is not applicable to non-Gaussian fields, and it may not be valid in certain special cases, such as when operators are time-independent.