Solving 2 inequalities with imaginary numbers?

In summary: That's all i did.In summary, the conversation is about a computer program designed to solve equations using matrices and the PA=LU factorization method. The program was given matrices and a function to solve for unknown variables. The output was incorrect, but the person was not sure where they went wrong and asked for help. They also provided a link to the details of the assignment.
JaeSun
I have 2 equations, imaginary ones, and 2 unknowns...trying to solve for them..but the answer i got, works with one, but not the other:

i*Z1 - i*Z2 = -2 - i
Z1 + 3i*Z2 = 4 + 7i

where i is the imaginary number, and Z1 and Z2 are the 2 unknowns

the answer i got:
Z1 : 1.33333 + 0.6666667i
Z2 : 2.33333 - 1.3333333i

plugging it in, works for the first equation, but not the 2nd.

unless i am doing the math wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
i should say that the title is wrong, not inwqualities

You're not solving any inequalities. You are solving equations. Inequalities of complex numbers do not make sense.

Your solution for [itex]z_2[/itex] is incorrect.

It's hard to say what you did wrong because you don't show your work.
Multiplying the first equation by 3 gives
3iZ1- 3iZ2= -6- 3i and the second equation is
Z1+3iZ2= 4+ 7i Adding those:

(1+ 3i)Z1= -2+ 4i.
Divide both sides by 1+ 3i and you get z1= 1+ i

well, problem is, my work, is done by the computer.

my assignment is to do write the main program, use matrices, and get the answer, with given functions (that teacher provided).

all we have to do, is pass the functionthe matrices, and get the PA=LU factorization, and the solve using front and back substitutions.

are you familiar with that? if so, then I can go into detail what I did, which is how i obtained the answer i got above.

the details of the assignment is here:

http://www.whiteazn.com/upload/COMPWK.txt

Program 6 (very bottom)

Last edited by a moderator:
But since you still haven't told us how you attempted to solve the problem, I don't see how we can help you.

i did tell you how i attempted it. I put it in the program, gave it the function, and that is what i got?

A = matrix of:
0 0
0 0

B = matrix of:
1 -1
0 3

a = matrix:

b = matrix:

and i solved for x,y . (which is done by passing the matrices to the functions that are given to us by the teacher).

how I got A,B, a, b?

I put the 2 equations into a matrix:
http://www.whiteazn.com/upload/matrix_eq.bmp

of then which I used to get A, B, a, b:

http://www.whiteazn.com/upload/matrix.bmp

sent it the two functions, and got the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
JaeSun,

When you write a computer program to solve problems for you then you must be able to verify independently whether your program does, in fact, give the right answers. That means you must (a) understand the algorithm and underlying math and (b) you must be able to solve test cases by hand for comparison. Without both of those conditions being met your program is meaningless.

I did that. he gave us a couple test examples, and they worked.

ALl we are to do is setup the main part of the program, and send the matrices to the functions.

1. How do you solve inequalities with imaginary numbers?

To solve inequalities with imaginary numbers, you follow the same steps as solving inequalities with real numbers. However, when you get to the point of isolating the variable, you must also consider the imaginary part. This means that you must keep track of the inequality sign and the direction of the inequality when taking the square root of both sides.

2. Can you graph inequalities with imaginary numbers?

Yes, you can graph inequalities with imaginary numbers. The graph will have a real axis and an imaginary axis, and the solution will be a shaded region on the graph. The direction of the shading will depend on the direction of the inequality.

3. What is the difference between solving equations and solving inequalities with imaginary numbers?

The main difference is that when solving equations with imaginary numbers, you are looking for a specific value for the variable, while when solving inequalities, you are looking for a range of values that satisfy the inequality. Also, when solving inequalities with imaginary numbers, you must consider the direction of the inequality when taking the square root of both sides.

4. Are there any special rules for solving inequalities with imaginary numbers?

Yes, there are a few special rules to keep in mind when solving inequalities with imaginary numbers. First, when taking the square root of both sides, you must consider the direction of the inequality. Second, when multiplying or dividing by a negative number, you must flip the direction of the inequality. And third, when dealing with absolute value, you must consider both the positive and negative solutions.

5. Can you give an example of solving an inequality with imaginary numbers?

Sure, let's solve the inequality 3x + 2 < 8i. First, we isolate the variable by subtracting 2 from both sides, which gives us 3x < 8i - 2. Then, we divide both sides by 3, which gives us x < (8i - 2)/3. Since we are dealing with imaginary numbers, we must consider the direction of the inequality when taking the square root of both sides. So, the solution to this inequality is x < ±√[(8i - 2)/3].