Inconsistency in special relativity?

In summary, Sarah's inconsistency is that the time it takes for light to reach the other end of a rod moving at 0.76c relative to an observer should be the same as the time it takes for the light to reach the other end in the rest frame of the observer, but it is not.
sarahisme
inconsistency in special relativity?

Hey i was just thinking about some of the stuff we have done in SR, and i thought of this situation, and i come up with an inconsistency.
the situation is, you have a rod moving at 0.76c relative to you (the observer). its moving to the right.
if the rest length of the ruler ( call it L') is 400m.
and then if a light signal is sent from one end of the rod to the other
if t' is the time it takes for the light signal to go from one one end of the rod to the other in the frame at which the rod is at rest. then
[tex] t' = \frac{L'}{c} [/tex]
= 1.333 x 10^{-6} s
and if t is the time it takes for the light signal to go from one end to the other in the rest frame of the observer.
since the observer see the length of the rod to be [tex] \frac{L'}{\gamma} [/tex]
then the time it takes for the light signal to reach the other end according to the observer is:
[tex] t = \frac{\frac{L'}{\gamma}}{c} + \frac{vt}{c} [/tex]
= 3.611 x 10^{-6} s s
shouldnt these times be the same? or am i going crazy?
Thanks
-Sarah

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you did not incorporate time dilation... i THINK

could you show me what you would get for the each time?

this thing is driving me nuts!

This really isn't my field of expertise (my phd is in sleeping and not doing work)... someone else should be along shortly to take your call. Please stay on the line. *elevator music plays*

ok well i am pretty sure that:

[tex] t = \frac{L'}{\gamma (c - v)} [/tex]

and

[tex] t' = \frac{L'}{c} [/tex]

but then how are t and t' related?!?

i thought it was by:

[tex] t' = \frac{t}{\gamma} [/tex]

but that doesn't work?

whats going on here?!? :(

Last edited:
The two events (departure of the light from one end of the ruler, and arrival of the light at the other end of the ruler) are at different locations in the ruler's frame of reference. Therefore, in order to find the time between them according to a moving observer, you have to take into account two effects:

1. Time dilation

2. Relativity of simultaneity: if two events at different locations are simultaneous in the ruler's frame, they are not simultaneous in a relatively moving observer's frame. This also affects the time between events that are not simultaneous in the ruler's frame.

To include both effects properly, it's best to use the full Lorentz transformation equations, not the simple time-dilation equation. In your case, with the ruler frame being the "primed" frame and the observer's frame being the "unprimed" one, and [itex]v[/itex] being the velocity of the primed frame in the unprimed one, the equations are:

[tex]x = \gamma (x^\prime + vt^\prime)[/tex]

[tex]t = \gamma (t^\prime + vx^\prime / c^2)[/tex]

where the two frames are such that [itex]x = x^\prime = 0[/itex] at [itex]t = t^\prime = 0[/itex].

For your example, let the light be emitted at the left end of the ruler at [itex]t_1 = t_1^\prime = 0[/itex] and [itex]x_1 = x_1^\prime = 0[/itex] (in the ruler's reference frame); and let the light be received at the right end at [itex]x_2^\prime = 400 m[/itex] and [itex]t_2^\prime = 1333 ns[/itex]. I'll leave it to you to calculate [itex]x_2[/itex] and [itex]t_2[/itex].

Last edited:
jtbell said:
The two events (departure of the light from one end of the ruler, and arrival of the light at the other end of the ruler) are at different locations in the ruler's frame of reference. Therefore, in order to find the time between them according to a moving observer, you have to take into account two effects:

1. Time dilation

2. Relativity of simultaneity: if two events at different locations are simultaneous in the ruler's frame, they are not simultaneous in a relatively moving observer's frame. This also affects the time between events that are not simultaneous in the ruler's frame.

To include both effects properly, it's best to use the full Lorentz transformation equations, not the simple time-dilation equation. In your case, with the ruler frame being the "primed" frame and the observer's frame being the "unprimed" one, and [itex]v[/itex] being the velocity of the primed frame in the unprimed one, the equations are:

[tex]x = \gamma (x^\prime + vt^\prime)[/tex]

[tex]t = \gamma (t^\prime + vx^\prime / c^2)[/tex]

where the two frames are such that [itex]x = x^\prime = 0[/itex] at [itex]t = t^\prime = 0[/itex].

For your example, let the light be emitted at the left end of the ruler at [itex]t_1 = t_1^\prime = 0[/itex] and [itex]x_1 = x_1^\prime = 0[/itex] (in the ruler's reference frame); and let the light be received at the right end at [itex]x_2^\prime = 400 m[/itex] and [itex]t_2^\prime = 1333 ns[/itex]. I'll leave it to you to calculate [itex]x_2[/itex] and [itex]t_2[/itex].

ok yep that makes sense.

i tryed to apply that approach to question (b) of this question:
http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/948/picture910js.th.png

but it doesn't seem to work! :( would you be able to show me how you would do this part of the question using lorentz transformations?

Last edited by a moderator:
sarahisme said:
it doesn't seem to work! :(

What, precisely, doesn't seem to work? Show us what you did and I or someone else can probably point out the mistake.

don't worry about it, i think i got it! :)

Thanks for all your help though! :D

1. What is inconsistency in special relativity?

Inconsistency in special relativity refers to a discrepancy or contradiction between the principles of special relativity and other theories or observations. This inconsistency can arise due to limitations of the theory or due to incorrect assumptions.

2. What are some examples of inconsistency in special relativity?

One example of inconsistency in special relativity is the twin paradox, where one twin ages slower than the other due to differences in their relative velocities. Another example is the apparent contradiction between special relativity and quantum mechanics, which has not yet been resolved.

3. How is inconsistency in special relativity addressed in scientific research?

Scientists use various methods such as mathematical calculations, experiments, and observations to test the principles of special relativity and determine if there are any inconsistencies. They also propose new theories or modifications to existing theories to resolve any inconsistencies.

4. Can inconsistency in special relativity be resolved?

While some inconsistencies in special relativity have been resolved, others still remain to be fully understood. As scientists continue to study and test the principles of special relativity, it is possible that new theories or modifications may be proposed to resolve any remaining inconsistencies.

5. How does inconsistency in special relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Inconsistency in special relativity can challenge our current understanding of the universe and push us to explore new theories and concepts. Resolving these inconsistencies can lead to a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of the universe and potentially open up new avenues for scientific exploration and discovery.