Mastering Two Group Diffusion Theory: Solving Thermal Flux Problems with Ease

In summary: Pérez: In summary, the student is looking for help with a homework assignment on multiple group diffusion theory. The student is struggling with solving for the thermal flux due to an isotropic point source.
Raccoonn
Hello,

Frustration in receiving timely responses from my teaching assistant has lead me to this website. Currently have a homework assignment on multiple group diffusion theory and one of the assigned questions is,

Determine the thermal flux due to an isotropic point source, So fast neutrons/second, in an infinite moderating medium. Use two-group diffusion theory. In particular discuss the solution to this problem from the case in which L1 > L2 and L2 > L1. (Deuderstadt and Hamilton Chapter 7, Problem 8)

I understand the last part qualitatively and that's where my problem starts. Most of this assignment is understanding the idea of multiple-group theory and dealing with group constants in terms of multiplication factors and collapsing, which is covered clearly in our notes and the text. But, solving for thermal flux from two-group diffusion equations, I am at a loss. I can setup the equations but I do not know where to begin, If anyone can help as I said this is my first time even visiting this website and I am not sure if this is out of line. I am just running low on time before work and understand grad students are busy people and emails may take time. In this class up until now we have been working with mostly numerical solutions in homework dealing with point reactor kinetics, step by step processes I can follow and explain quantitatively using results to back qualitative analysis. If anyone has any tips or possible literature they can point me to I would be much appreciative. Once again first time here, came here cause I am a desperate busy student just looking for some timely help, if I am overstepping or if there is a better place for such a post please let me know. Although it's my first time I'll be coming back and would like to make some friends, learning new things is always fun and I have always been interested in the idea of the physics of smell.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try this,

D12ø(r)1-∑rem1θ(r)1=δS
D22ø(r)2-∑rem2θ(r)2=∑1→2θ(r)1

where ∑remi=∑ai+∑i→j

Calculate θ(r)1 that will be something like S/4∏r2, and then put it in the second ecuation as the thermal source coming from the fast scattering and clear ø(r)2, and then see what happens with the different Li
1: fast
2: thermal

Hernán

Hi there,

I completely understand your frustration with not receiving timely responses from your teaching assistant. It can be incredibly frustrating when you have a deadline looming and you need help understanding a concept.

As for your assignment, I am not an expert in multiple-group diffusion theory, but I did some research and found a few resources that may be helpful to you. I found a lecture from MIT on two-group diffusion theory that breaks down the equations and how to solve for thermal flux in different scenarios, including when L1 > L2 and L2 > L1. I also found a helpful article from the University of Wisconsin that goes through a step-by-step solution for a similar problem using two-group diffusion theory.

I hope these resources will be helpful to you in solving your assignment. I also suggest reaching out to your classmates or professor for help, as they may have a better understanding of the material and can offer additional guidance.

Don't worry about overstepping by posting on this website for help. That's what this forum is for – to connect with others and learn from each other. I'm sure there are many others on here who have experience with multiple-group diffusion theory and can offer some insight.

Best of luck with your assignment and don't hesitate to come back if you have any other questions or need further help. We are all here to support each other and learn together. And I agree, the physics of smell is definitely an interesting topic! Maybe you can incorporate it into a future assignment or research project.

Take care,

1. What is Two Group Diffusion?

Two Group Diffusion is a mathematical model used to describe the movement of particles or energy in a medium, such as a gas or liquid. It is based on the concept of diffusion, which is the gradual movement of particles from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration.

2. How does Two Group Diffusion differ from One Group Diffusion?

In One Group Diffusion, there is only one type of particle or energy being considered, while in Two Group Diffusion there are two distinct types. This allows for more complex and accurate modeling of diffusion processes, as different particles or energies may have different properties and behaviors.

3. What are the applications of Two Group Diffusion in scientific research?

Two Group Diffusion has a wide range of applications in various fields of scientific research, such as nuclear physics, plasma physics, and atmospheric science. It is commonly used to model the behavior of neutrons in nuclear reactors, the diffusion of ions in plasmas, and the transport of pollutants in the atmosphere.

4. What are the limitations of Two Group Diffusion?

Two Group Diffusion assumes that the particles or energies being studied are evenly distributed throughout the medium, and that there are no external forces acting on them. This is not always the case in real-world situations, and can lead to inaccuracies in the model. Additionally, it does not take into account interactions between particles, which can also affect diffusion processes.

5. How is Two Group Diffusion used in engineering applications?

In engineering, Two Group Diffusion is commonly used to design and optimize systems involving the transport of particles or energy, such as heat exchangers and chemical reactors. It can also be used to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in pipes and other industrial processes.