Stanford EPGY University Level Math courses?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of taking Stanford EPGY uni-level math courses for college credit. The discussants share their experiences with the program, with one person mentioning the program's focus on high school students and another noting the difficulty level of the courses. It is suggested that taking real analysis without prior experience with proof-based classes may be challenging.
selig5560
Hi - I am interested if taking the Stanford EPGY uni-level math courses would be a good choice. It seems like they teach university level math courses and you receive stanford college credit for it. Does anyone know much more about their program? I've been accepted to be able to take classes their (I am a first sem. junior college student majoring in math.)

Greetz,

Selig

Physics news on Phys.org
I took the EPGY classes while in high school. Quite good for an online class: lectures were clear and problems were provocative. Of course they are quarter length non-honors courses at Stanford, so take this into account. As always, self study has the potential to be a very rewarding experience. Which class are you considering?

I'm interested in taking PDEs, Elemntary Real Anaylsis, and Complex Analysis. I would think these would transfer to my school by looking at the similar course syilibi and exact textbook uses (PDEs and Complex Analysis specifcially)

I actually misread your post and assumed that you were a high school student. The EPGY program is designed for high school, so I don't know if they would let you take their classes. It's worth asking, though.

They did allow me to take classes there.

I can't comment on EPGY's PDE since I haven't taken it, but the analysis courses are great.

Thank you very much for the answers! I decided to take the RA course to prepare for Rudin since my Linear Algebra wasnt proof based. When you got your transcript from Stanford did it mention EPGY on the transcript?

selig5560 said:
did it mention EPGY on the transcript?

It will not look like you went to stanford. I believe it is issued by their continuing studies program.

I am a high school student taking EPGY physics courses. The computer systems are archaic but the people are helpful. Unless you are going to stanford, don't count on any credit. However, it is a good way to learn some math particularity if your community college doesn't have many advanced math courses. Since everything is self-paced, in some ways it is better than convectional teaching

I would caution taking real analysis before having taken even one proof heavy class...

cvisc said:
I would caution taking real analysis before having taken even one proof heavy class...

i disagree, analysis can be a good idea to take, as it gives one an understanding of the theory behind calculus, and introduces many tools of pure math, eg set theory. Besides, the epgy course uses ross' 'elementary analysis', not something like apostol or rudin

serllus reuel said:
i disagree, analysis can be a good idea to take, as it gives one an understanding of the theory behind calculus, and introduces many tools of pure math, eg set theory. Besides, the epgy course uses ross' 'elementary analysis', not something like apostol or rudin

I'm not debating the worth of the class. He stated that all he has taken is linear algebra and it wasn't particularly proofy. I suppose I don't know the rigor of EPGY but when I took RA, it was exclusively proofs and insanely difficult (largely considered to be one of the most difficult undergraduate math courses). If he is not comfortable with proofs, it shouldn't be the first proof course he takes.

EPGY is intended for a high school audience and it's RA course, specifically, has great lectures that make it not as difficult to pick up.

What is Stanford EPGY University Level Math?

Stanford EPGY University Level Math is an online program offered by Stanford University that provides advanced mathematics courses for high school and college students. These courses are designed to challenge and engage students in topics such as calculus, linear algebra, and number theory.

Who can enroll in Stanford EPGY University Level Math courses?

Any high school or college student who has a strong interest and aptitude in mathematics can enroll in Stanford EPGY University Level Math courses. There are no specific requirements or prerequisites, but students should have a solid foundation in algebra and geometry.

Are the courses self-paced or instructor-led?

Stanford EPGY University Level Math courses are self-paced, meaning students can work through the material at their own pace. However, students can also communicate with instructors through online forums and email for additional support and guidance.

What is the format of the courses?

The courses are entirely online and consist of interactive lessons, practice problems, and assessments. Students can access the material at any time and from any device with an internet connection. The courses also include video tutorials and virtual office hours with instructors.

What are the benefits of taking Stanford EPGY University Level Math courses?

Some of the benefits of taking these courses include gaining a deeper understanding of advanced mathematical concepts, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and preparing for college-level math courses. Additionally, students can earn college credit or advanced placement through the program.