Understanding compund angle formulas

In summary: At least you have access to a picture. Do you find a derivation of one of the angle addition or angle subtraction formulas which is based on a cartesian graph, and not just overlayed triangles? (I really should be looking for one such derivation in a textbook or online --- maybe later or someone else)
zeion

Homework Statement

I can make intuitive sense out of cofunction identities but the compound angle results completely blows my mind. Is there a way to make sense of them without having to think about the proof everytime? Or should I just memorize them

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
In the case of the formulae such as [tex]sin(A+B)=sinAcosB+cosAsinB[/tex] it is much easier and definitely quicker to memorize than to reproduce in an exam. But I prefer to reproduce the cofunction identities than to memorize them because they are easy to do so, which you might as well.

I think it's just best to memorize these formulae.

I've been struggling with this on occasion too. Memorizing all of the identity formulas is too tough. There is a website, 'oakroadsystems' or something which gives advice on the Trigonometry identities. One idea that I had was to memorize (and also understand) a small number of very fundamental and easy ones, and learn to derive others from them. For the sum and difference of angles identities, just learn to derive a couple of them, and learn to derive many of the others using some algebraic steps. Use a graph picture to get started.

The proof for the addition/subtraction formula from my textbook seems completely arbitrary to me ~_~. I have found other proofs online that involve Euler's formula which I have not learned yet, as well as one that involves drawing two right angled triangles on top of each other. Which of the addition/subtraction formula proofs makes the most sense to you guys?

zeion said:
The proof for the addition/subtraction formula from my textbook seems completely arbitrary to me ~_~. I have found other proofs online that involve Euler's formula which I have not learned yet, as well as one that involves drawing two right angled triangles on top of each other. Which of the addition/subtraction formula proofs makes the most sense to you guys?

At least you have access to a picture. Do you find a derivation of one of the angle addition or angle subtraction formulas which is based on a cartesian graph, and not just overlayed triangles? (I really should be looking for one such derivation in a textbook or online --- maybe later or someone else)

1. What are compound angle formulas?

Compound angle formulas are mathematical equations used to find the values of trigonometric functions of angles that are formed by combining two or more angles.

2. Why is it important to understand compound angle formulas?

Understanding compound angle formulas is important in solving complex problems involving angles, especially in the field of trigonometry. These formulas are also used in various real-life applications such as architecture, engineering, and navigation.

3. How do you derive compound angle formulas?

Compound angle formulas are derived using basic trigonometric identities and the addition and subtraction formulas for sine, cosine, and tangent. These identities and formulas can be found in most trigonometry textbooks or online resources.

4. What are some common compound angle formulas?

Some common compound angle formulas include the double angle formulas, triple angle formulas, and half angle formulas. These formulas involve the combination of two or more angles and can be used to find the values of trigonometric functions of these angles.

5. How can I apply compound angle formulas in real-life situations?

Compound angle formulas can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the height of a building, determining the distance between two points, or finding the direction of a moving object. These formulas are also used in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, astronomy, and surveying.