Derivation for E = V/d? (capacitors)

In summary, the formula E = V/d describes the magnitude of the electric field between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor, where E is the electric field, V is the potential difference, and d is the separation of the plates. This formula is derived from the definitions of electric field and electric potential, and can also be derived using the work energy theorem.
plazprestige
One of the formulas I came across while doing problems with simple parallel plate capacitors was E = V/d, where E is the magnitude of the electric field between the plates, V is the potential difference between the plates, and d is the separation of the plates. I'm wondering where this formula is derived from.

I know that the electric field between the two plates of a capacitor is constant (except near the edges), but am not sure how that would play into the explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the definitions of electric field and electric potential, and then think of W = F d.

well the definition of an electric field is F/q, where q is in the field, and the definition of electric potential is electrical potential energy divided by charge.

E = F/q
V = E/q
W = Fd

So by substitution, W = Eqd

I want to get to E = V/d so I'll solve for E...

E = W/qd

So W/q is somehow equal to V? So W/q = E/q

And by the work energy theorem, W = delta E, and the voltage in E = V/d is in fact a potential difference.

Thanks! I literally reasoned that out while typing. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

plazprestige said:
well the definition of an electric field is F/q, where q is in the field, and the definition of electric potential is electrical potential energy divided by charge.

[...snippety snip...]

So W/q is somehow equal to V?

Like you said at the beginning of your post... :biggrin:

This formula can be derived from the definition of electric field and the concept of capacitance. The electric field is defined as the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed in the field. In the case of a parallel plate capacitor, the electric field is constant and directed from the positive plate to the negative plate.

The potential difference, V, between the plates is defined as the work done per unit charge in moving a test charge from one plate to the other. This can also be expressed as the product of the electric field and the distance between the plates, or V = Ed.

The capacitance, C, of a parallel plate capacitor is defined as the ratio of the charge on the plates to the potential difference between them, or C = Q/V.

Combining these equations, we get E = V/d = Q/dC. This shows that the electric field is directly proportional to the charge on the plates and inversely proportional to the distance between them. This relationship is also known as Coulomb's Law.

In summary, the formula E = V/d for a parallel plate capacitor is derived from the definitions of electric field, potential difference, and capacitance. It shows the relationship between these quantities and helps us understand the behavior of capacitors in electrical circuits.

What is the derivation for E = V/d?

The derivation for E = V/d is based on the definition of electric field as the force per unit charge. The equation states that the electric field (E) between two parallel plates of a capacitor is equal to the potential difference (V) between the plates divided by the distance (d) between them.

What is the significance of this derivation in capacitors?

This derivation is significant because it allows us to calculate the strength of the electric field between the plates of a capacitor, which is important in understanding the behavior and performance of capacitors in electronic circuits.

What are the assumptions made in this derivation?

The derivation assumes that the plates of the capacitor are parallel, the electric field is uniform between the plates, and there is no dielectric material between the plates. It also assumes that the distance between the plates is small compared to the size of the plates.

How is this derivation related to the concept of capacitance?

This derivation is directly related to the concept of capacitance, as the equation for capacitance (C = Q/V) is derived from the equation for electric field (E = V/d). Capacitance is a measure of a capacitor's ability to store electrical charge, and the electric field strength between the plates is a key factor in determining the capacitance.

Can this derivation be applied to other types of capacitors?

Yes, this derivation can be applied to other types of capacitors as long as they have parallel plates and a uniform electric field between them. However, for capacitors with different geometries or materials, different equations and derivations may be needed to calculate the electric field and capacitance.