Kinetic energy, movement <-> energy ?

by miibay
Tags: <>, energy, kinetic, kinetic energy, movement
Share this thread:
miibay
Nov28-13, 12:40 PM
P: 1
Hi there,

I always thought that kinetic energy was the energy associated to a movement, ie, I have a ball in movement so I had printed the energy of my body on it when I kicked the ball, right? So I gave energy to the ball that started to move it. energy -> movement.
However, I was reading the book 'Principles of Chemistry' and in its definition of Kinetic energy they have 'energy given to a body by its movement', which according to my understanding means that I gave the energy to the ball when I kicked it and then the ball started to move, so movement -> energy.

Please help me!! I'm so confused!!

Thank you all in advance :)
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemists eye improved thin films with metal substitution
Essential oils may provide good source of food preservation
Artificial skin flexes when it comes into contact with a solvent vapour
Doc Al
Nov28-13, 12:58 PM
Mentor
P: 41,293
A body in motion has kinetic energy. (See: Kinetic Energy)

When you kicked the ball, you exerted a force on the ball through a certain distance, which resulted in the ball gaining kinetic energy.

Register to reply