Electromagnet not repelling neodymium magnet

In summary, the individual is facing difficulty in getting their electromagnet to repel a neodymium magnet, despite being able to pick up wire strippers. They have tried switching leads and the side of the magnet, but have not had success. It is suggested that they may need more turns of wire or more current to generate a stronger magnet of opposite polarity to repel the neodymium magnet. A recommended method for testing this is to use a digital scale and observe the change in weight of the magnet when current is applied to the electromagnet.
Jerome
Hello this is my first time to post.
I have an electromagnet powered by a car battery charger set at 12 volts the problem is I can't get the electromagnet to repel the neodymium magnet. I have tried switching around the positive and negative leads of the power supply and switching the side of the magnet that is facing the electromagnet. The electromagnet will pick up a wire strippers yet it won't repel a magnet. So I'm just wondering does anyone know what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The magnet will be attracted to the iron of the electromagnet and will not be repelled unless you can generate enough magnetic field from the current in the coil.

So, you may need more turns of wire on your electromagnet or more current in it, or both.

Ok thanks I'll try that.

OK, but don't expect too much success.

The very powerful Neodymium magnet induces a strong magnet in the soft iron of the electro magnet. This magnet has a polarity such that it attracts the Neodymium magnet.

To repel the Neodymium magnet, you would need to produce a stronger magnet of opposite polarity with the electromagnet.

Unless it is very efficient, I don't think you will be able to do this.

A very effective way of testing this is to tape the magnet to the pan of a digital scale ( weighing device) with one pole pointing upwards, and mount the electro magnet above it, but not close enough that they move towards each other.

Note the weight of the magnet, then apply current to the electro magnet and note the change in weight of the magnet.

With one direction of current, the electromagnet will increase the attraction of the magnet (and reduce the weight reading on the scale) and in the other direction of current, there will be an increase in weight due to repulsion.

I'll try that

What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by running an electric current through a wire. The electric current produces a magnetic field, which can be turned on or off by controlling the flow of electricity.

How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by using electricity to create a magnetic field. The magnetic field is produced when an electric current flows through a wire. The strength of the magnetic field can be adjusted by changing the amount of current flowing through the wire.

Why is an electromagnet not repelling a neodymium magnet?

An electromagnet and a neodymium magnet have opposite poles, which means they should repel each other. However, if the electromagnet is not strong enough, it may not be able to overcome the strong magnetic force of the neodymium magnet. Additionally, the distance between the two magnets may also play a role in their repulsion.

Can an electromagnet repel other types of magnets?

Yes, an electromagnet can repel other types of magnets as long as the magnetic force of the electromagnet is strong enough to overcome the force of the other magnet. However, the strength of the electromagnet may need to be adjusted depending on the type of magnet it is trying to repel.

How can I make my electromagnet stronger?

To make an electromagnet stronger, you can increase the amount of current flowing through the wire or add more turns to the wire. Using a core material such as iron can also increase the strength of the magnetic field. However, be careful not to exceed the maximum current limit of the wire, as this can damage the electromagnet.