Integrating x*ln^2(ax)*exp(-bx^2+cx) | Help Needed

In summary, the integrand given is x*ln^2(ax)*exp(-bx^2+cx) where a, b, and c are real and positive constants. The first term diverges as x approaches infinity and the region of integration is from 0 to infinity. Using partial integration, the integral of the first term can be solved as 1/2 x^2((ln ax)^2 - ln ax) + 1/4 x^2. The second term, exp(-bx^2+cx), can be integrated using Gaussian integral if the region is from -infinity to infinity. However, if the region is different, further calculations are needed.
ari_a
Can anyone help me integrating the folowwing integrand from zero to infinity:
x*ln^2(ax)*exp(-bx^2+cx)
where a,b and c are real and pisitive constants.
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First term diverges with [tex]x \rightarrow \infty[/tex]. Is the region really from 0 to infinity? If possible, please post in TeX.
But first term is not difficult. Using partial integral,

[tex]\int x (\ln ax)^2 dx = 1/2 x^2 (\ln ax)^2 - \int \frac {ax^2} {ax} \ln ax dx = \frac 1 2 x^2 (\ln ax)^2 - \int x \ln ax dx[/tex].

Using partial integral on the second term, it is

[tex]\frac 1 2 x^2 \ln ax - \frac 1 2 \int ax^2 \frac 1 {ax} dx = \frac 1 2 x^2 \ln ax - \frac 1 4 x^2[/tex]

So in total,

[tex]\int x (\ln ax)^2 dx = \frac 1 2 x^2((\ln ax))^2 - \ln ax) + \frac 1 4 x^2[/tex].

The second term can be integrated from [tex]-\infty \rightarrow \infty[/tex]

Last edited:
As for [tex]\exp(-bx^2+cx)[/tex], it can be integrated for some kinds of limited regions...(AFAIK) using Gaussian integral. i.e. Put

[tex]I = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \exp(-x^2) dx[/tex].

Then

[tex]I^2 = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty \exp(-(x^2 + y^2)) dx dy = 2 \pi \int_0^\infty r \exp(-r^2) dr = \pi[/tex]

So [tex]I = \sqrt \pi.[/tex]

But exp(-bx^2+cx) is another thing if the range is different... If the region is from [tex]-\infty \rightarrow \infty[/tex]

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty \exp(-bx^2 + cx) dx = \int_{\infty}^\infty \exp(-b(x-\frac c {2b}) ^ 2 + \frac {c^2} {4b}) dx = \sqrt \pi \exp (c^2/4b) / \sqrt b[/tex]

I cannot go further..:frown:

Last edited:
I'm very sorry. I was mistaken. It should be a multiplication of the two terms, not sum. The integrand is now corrected in the original message.
Thanks

1. What is the purpose of integrating x*ln^2(ax)*exp(-bx^2+cx)?

The purpose of integrating x*ln^2(ax)*exp(-bx^2+cx) is to find the area under the curve of this function. This can be useful in various scientific and mathematical applications, such as calculating probabilities or determining the behavior of a physical system.

2. How do I solve for the indefinite integral of x*ln^2(ax)*exp(-bx^2+cx)?

To solve for the indefinite integral of x*ln^2(ax)*exp(-bx^2+cx), you can use integration by parts. Let u = ln^2(ax) and dv = x*exp(-bx^2+cx). Then, you can use the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du to solve for the integral. You may need to apply this formula multiple times to fully solve the integral.

3. Can I use substitution to solve for the integral of x*ln^2(ax)*exp(-bx^2+cx)?

Yes, you can use substitution to solve for the integral of x*ln^2(ax)*exp(-bx^2+cx). A possible substitution could be u = -bx^2+cx, which would result in du = (-2bx+c)dx. However, this method may lead to a more complex integral that may still require integration by parts.

4. How can I use the integral of x*ln^2(ax)*exp(-bx^2+cx) in practical applications?

The integral of x*ln^2(ax)*exp(-bx^2+cx) can be used in various practical applications, such as calculating the probability of a certain event occurring or modeling the behavior of a physical system. It can also be used in economics and finance to analyze data and make predictions.

5. Are there any special cases or restrictions for solving the integral of x*ln^2(ax)*exp(-bx^2+cx)?

Yes, there may be special cases or restrictions when solving the integral of x*ln^2(ax)*exp(-bx^2+cx). For example, the integral may be undefined if any of the constants a, b, or c are equal to 0. Additionally, the integral may be more complex to solve if the constants have certain relationships with each other, such as a = b or a = c.