Neon Sign Light: Continuous Spectrum or Few Colors?

In summary: So in a way the electron is just constantly spiraling inward due to the EM field? Yes, in a way the electron is just constantly spiraling inward due to the EM field.
Yael
need to hand in an assingment in an hour.
would appreciate help on this :

"Does the light emitted by a neon sign constitute a continuous spectrum or only a few colors? Defend your answer"

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
And what is you take on the subject? Defend yourself.

P.S. This belongs in the homework section.

oops sorry !

well I've replied that the light constitute only a few colours because neon emits strongly in the red - orange region
mercury in ultra violet and so on. each element corresponds to different wavelengths.

though I'm not sure. i guess mainly because I'm not too sure what the question is asking me.

Yael said:
oops sorry !

well I've replied that the light constitute only a few colours because neon emits strongly in the red - orange region
mercury in ultra violet and so on. each element corresponds to different wavelengths.

though I'm not sure. i guess mainly because I'm not too sure what the question is asking me.

I think your answer is correct. The fact the neon lights have a very specific colour, as do sodium lights etc. kinda gives it away.

-Hoot:smile:

oh good thanks :)

another verification if you don't mind
the question asks if the Bohr model contredicts in any way classical physics.
i replied that only the first assumption that the electrons are fixed in circular orbits violates the laws of classical mechanics - of the idea of centripetal acceleration (?)
am i right to say that?
did i miss anything else? :-S

What's wrong with circular orbits?

(That was a rhetorical question...)

The answer is in classical electrodynamics and radiation. Another possible answer involves a violation of special relativity.

rachmaninoff2 said:
What's wrong with circular orbits?

(That was a rhetorical question...)

The answer is in classical electrodynamics and radiation. Another possible answer involves a violation of special relativity.
Yeah, what would happen if the electron were just spinning around in a classical orbit around the nucleus? Would there be a natural loss of energy for some reason?

berkeman said:
Yeah, what would happen if the electron were just spinning around in a classical orbit around the nucleus? Would there be a natural loss of energy for some reason?

Accelerating charges radiate an EM field. So if an electron were in orbit around, say, a proton it would slowly spiral inward as the electon's kinetic energy is lost to the outgoing EM field.

-Dan

1. What is a neon sign light?

A neon sign light is a type of electric light that uses neon gas to create a glowing effect. It is typically used for advertising or decorative purposes.

2. Is the spectrum of a neon sign light continuous or does it only produce a few colors?

The spectrum of a neon sign light is continuous, meaning it produces all visible colors. However, due to the limitations of the gas and other factors, it may appear to only produce a few colors.

3. How is a neon sign light able to produce different colors?

The color of a neon sign light is determined by the type of gas used and the mixture of other noble gases. Different gases produce different colors when excited by electricity.

4. Can neon sign lights be customized to produce specific colors?

Yes, neon sign lights can be customized to produce specific colors by adjusting the gas mixture and using different colored glass tubes.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using neon sign lights?

While neon sign lights are generally safe to use, they do require high voltage electricity to operate and can pose a fire hazard if not installed properly. It is important to follow safety guidelines and have them installed by a professional.