Do men have stronger legs than women?

• Thread starter hehehaha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary: But that's just my two cents.If you don't want to use squats to gauge lower body strength, then what are you going to use? The squat has a LOT to do with legs (although I agree the back is a major supporting group) so it can DEFINITELY be used to gauge the strength of legs. HOWEVER, the barbell squat is just one of MANY variations of the squat. Other variations of the squat, such as dumbbell squats, have even more to do with legs than the typical barbell squat and less to do with the erector spinae. SO certainly, one could use a variation of the squat to gauge lower body strength.
hehehaha
So many people say that women have stronger legs. Some people say no. What does the biological evidence say? I thought men legs are stronger than women. What do you think? Please be honest.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
So, I don't have to be serious as long as I'm honest?

arildno said:

You could have replied since you knew the answer.

Well, I dunno. That's my honest opinion.

Last edited:
arildno said:

LOL, I know men are the stronger sex. But which gender has strongest legs?

umm this guy has squatted 1200 lbs. which is the world record. http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/video/Mike-Miller-1220Squat.WMV

Last edited by a moderator:
The average male has a larger amount of testosterone in his body that females, which is a big factor to consider here.

Moridin said:
The average male has a larger amount of testosterone in his body that females, which is a big factor to consider here.

Oh man. Read the thread carefully. I said *lower body* (legs). Not upper body. How many times do I have to say that? Because some people say that women legs are strong than men's which is wrong.

That is completely irrelevant. Testosterone has an effect on the entire body, even on the lower body.

hehehaha said:
Oh man. Read the thread carefully. I said *lower body* (legs). Not upper body. How many times do I have to say that? Because some people say that women legs are strong than men's which is wrong.

I'm a little confused why you would ask this question and answer it yourself here.

I mean leg muscles (calves, thighs). What has squat to do with legs? Anyway squat also requires other than your leg like your back.
By strength, I assume that you mean absolute strength. Are you comparing a man and a woman that both have the same weight? Or are you comparing an average sized man and an average sized woman? Is there an age range for your test subjects? How much strength training exercises is in the test subjects' history? etc...

If you don't want to use squats to gauge lower body strength, then what are you going to use?

The squat has a LOT to do with legs (although I agree the back is a major supporting group) so it can DEFINITELY be used to gauge the strength of legs. HOWEVER, the barbell squat is just one of MANY variations of the squat. Other variations of the squat, such as dumbbell squats, have even more to do with legs than the typical barbell squat and less to do with the erector spinae. SO certainly, one could use a variation of the squat to gauge lower body strength.

One could use the leg press to gauge strength, and men can press more here also.

Another point I'd like to bring up is that the lower body is made up of many groups of muscles... the quads, the hamstrings, the calves (the 3 that immediately come to my mind, but there are many others). Is it possible that women have stronger muscles in some groups while weaker muscles in the other groups? I'm not sure.. but I don't think we can lump all those muscles into one group called "lower body" because it is too general.

Are women stronger in stiff-leg deadlifts (it works the hammies), or how about calf raises (works the calves)? I don't know... I don't know how one is defining the test subjects.

My point is... we have to know exactly what you are measuring, and how you are measuring before we can answer your question in a scientific way.

Nonetheless, if one were to have average-sized men and the average-sized women perform exercises that primarily target the lower body, then based on my experience, I would say the men would lift more.

Last edited:
Moridin said:
That is completely irrelevant. Testosterone has an effect on the entire body, even on the lower body.

Right, and doing squats shoots testosterone levels much higher than exercises that primarily target just the upper body.

hehehaha said:
I mean leg muscles (calves, thighs). What has squat to do with legs? Anyway squat also requires other than your leg like your back.
It seems that you are not satisfied with a reply unless they state somehow that women's legs are stronger than a man's. have you even ever done squats? if you are using your a lot of back muscles you have a extremely good chance of seriously injuring yourself because you are not doing them properly.

Last edited:
Likes Girlsarestronger
gravenewworld said:
It seems that you are not satisfied with a reply unless they state somehow that women's legs are stronger than a man's.
I agree.

hehehaha, you've gotten your answer. Thread closed.

Do Men Have Stronger Legs Than Women?

The comparison of leg strength between men and women is a common question. Let's explore the factors that influence leg strength and how it varies between genders:

Q1: Is It True That Men Typically Have Stronger Legs Than Women?

On average, men tend to have greater muscle mass and physical strength compared to women. This difference in muscle mass can lead to men having stronger legs, including both upper leg (quadriceps and hamstrings) and lower leg (calves) muscles.

Q2: What Causes the Difference in Leg Strength?

The difference in leg strength between men and women can be attributed to several factors:

• Muscle Mass: Men generally have a higher percentage of lean muscle mass, which contributes to greater overall strength.
  • Hormonal Differences: The presence of testosterone in men, in higher levels than in women, promotes muscle growth and strength development.
  • Bone Structure: Differences in bone size and density can affect strength and stability in the legs.
  • Physical Training: Men often engage in activities and sports that promote muscle development and strength.

Q3: Are There Individual Variations?

Yes, it's important to note that there is significant individual variation within both men and women. While, on average, men may have stronger legs, there are many women who can develop and maintain strong leg muscles through training and physical activity. Genetics, diet, and lifestyle choices also play a role in individual leg strength.

Q4: Can Women Build Stronger Legs Through Exercise?

Absolutely! Women can build and strengthen their leg muscles through various forms of exercise, including resistance training, weightlifting, and cardiovascular activities like running and cycling. Regular exercise can lead to muscle growth and increased leg strength in women.

Q5: Are There Any Advantages to Strong Leg Muscles?

Having strong leg muscles offers several advantages, regardless of gender. Strong legs provide better support for overall body stability and mobility. They are essential for activities such as walking, running, climbing, and participating in sports. Additionally, strong leg muscles can help prevent injuries and improve overall fitness.

Q6: Should Leg Strength Be a Concern for Women?

Leg strength should not be a cause for concern for women. Instead, women should focus on maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle, which includes regular physical activity and exercise. Strength and fitness goals should be individualized, and improvement in leg strength can contribute to overall well-being.

Q7: What Are Some Exercises to Strengthen Leg Muscles?

Effective exercises to strengthen leg muscles include squats, lunges, leg presses, calf raises, and various forms of resistance training. Engaging in activities like hiking, biking, and swimming can also help develop leg strength.

In summary, while men may, on average, have stronger legs than women due to factors like muscle mass and hormones, there is a wide range of individual variation. Women can build strong leg muscles through exercise and physical training, and leg strength is important for overall health and mobility.