Fluid Dynamics Question

In summary, the forces that make up the NSE include pressure gradient force, coriolis force, and frictional forces. These forces generate or alter motion in fluids. The unknown variables in NSE oceanic applications include pressure, velocity components, density, temperature, and salinity. The physical principles of conservation of mass, momentum, and energy give us as many equations as there are unknowns in the NSE.
SAsurfa
Hey guys a few questions.

Question1) Descrive the forces that make up the NSE(Navier-Stokes Equations). Which forces generate motion and which alter motion.

I have answered this 1st question, I got:

pressure gradient force - generates
coriolis force - alters
frictional forces: wind stress - generates
bottom friction - alters

Are these correct?

Question2) List the unkown variables in the NSE oceanic appliactions and name the physical principles that give us as many equations as there are unknowns.

My answer: pressure, velocity components, density, temperature and salinity
i.e. p, u, v, w, S(density), T, s(salinity)

How do I go about the next part of this question?

Cheers guys, and a quick reply would be much appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Thank you for your questions. Your answers for the first question are mostly correct, but let me clarify a few things:

1. Pressure gradient force: This force is responsible for generating motion by pushing fluids from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure. So, it does generate motion.

2. Coriolis force: This force does not alter motion, but rather acts perpendicular to the direction of motion and causes a change in direction. It is a result of the Earth's rotation and is responsible for the formation of ocean currents and weather patterns.

3. Frictional forces: Wind stress and bottom friction both alter motion by slowing down or changing the direction of fluid flow.

For the second question, you have correctly listed the unknown variables in the NSE oceanic applications. The physical principles that give us as many equations as there are unknowns are the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy. These principles form the foundation of the Navier-Stokes equations and allow us to solve for all the unknown variables.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

Your answer to the first question appears to be correct. The pressure gradient force and wind stress are both responsible for generating motion, while the coriolis force and bottom friction alter motion.

For the second question, the unknown variables in the NSE for oceanic applications are typically pressure, velocity, density, temperature, and salinity. These variables are related by the physical principles of mass conservation, momentum conservation, and the equation of state for seawater. These principles give us as many equations as there are unknowns, allowing us to solve for all the variables and understand the dynamics of fluid motion in the ocean.

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids (liquids and gases) behave when they are in motion. It involves understanding the properties and behavior of fluids, such as flow, pressure, and viscosity.

2. Why is fluid dynamics important?

Fluid dynamics is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of fluids in various situations, such as in engineering applications, weather patterns, and biological processes. It also plays a crucial role in developing technologies and solving real-world problems.

3. What are some real-world applications of fluid dynamics?

Some common real-world applications of fluid dynamics include designing airplanes and other vehicles, predicting weather patterns, understanding blood flow in the human body, and developing new technologies for energy production and transportation.

4. What are the main principles of fluid dynamics?

The main principles of fluid dynamics include conservation of mass, conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy. These principles help us understand how fluids move and interact with their surroundings.

5. How is fluid dynamics related to other branches of science?

Fluid dynamics is closely related to other branches of science such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It incorporates principles from these disciplines to understand the behavior of fluids in various situations. It also has applications in engineering, meteorology, and oceanography, among others.