Calculating Forces between Contacting Crates

• Thread starter meganw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation involves two crates of different masses on a horizontal surface, with a 750 N force being exerted on one of the crates. The coefficient of kinetic friction is given as 0.21. The first part (a) involves calculating the acceleration of the system, which is found to be 0.53 m/s^2 to the right. The second part (b) asks for the force that each crate exerts on the other, and the third part (c) involves reversing the crates and calculating the force that each crate exerts on the other. The equations used are Ff = μk(Normal Force) and F = m(a).
meganw

Homework Statement

Two crates, of mass 80 kg and 210 kg, are in contact and at rest on a horizontal surface (Fig. 5-26). A 750 N force is exerted on the 80 kg crate. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.21.

5-26.gif

(a) Calculate the acceleration of the system.
.53 m/s2 (to the right) [Note: This Answer is Correct]

(b) Calculate the force that each crate exerts on the other.
_________ N
(c) With the crates reversed, calculate the force that each crate exerts on the other .
_________ N

Homework Equations

Ff= Mk(Normal Force)
F=m(acceleration)

The Attempt at a Solution

I did A, and I got .53, but I can't get B. I guess I just don't understand how to do it.

I tried to calculate the force that Crate 1 exerts on Crate 2. I tried this but I got the wrong answer it says:

Fy(net)=m(a)=Fa-Ff
Ff=.21(Normal)
Normal=Fg=9.8(mass)=9.8(80)=784
Ff=.21(784)
Ff=164.64

Fy(net)=

80(.53)=Fa-164.64
Fa=207

It says that I'm wrong. :(

I also can't get C...I don't even understand how to begin that one though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's Fx(net) = ma, but you have missed the applied 750N force in your equation which acts right, along with the crate force of B on A, as well as the friction force you correctly identified, which both act left. You should look also at a FBD of the second block. It has only 2 forces acting horizontally, so it's a bit easier to solve. For part c, reverse the blocks and do the same procedure.

What is the crate force of B on A? :-/

meganw said:
What is the crate force of B on A? :-/
That is the horizontal contact force of B on A(F_BA) that you are asked to solve, that acts perpendicular to the edge of the crate pointing left. Have you drawn a free body diagram of the left crate? Try drawing one also of the right crate. In this FBD of crate 2, you'll have the friction force acting left, and the horizontal contact force of A on B (F_AB)acting right. F_BA and F_AB are related by Newton's 3rd law. Note the acceleration of each block is the same as the accelertaion of the system.

I'm terribly sorry but I still don't get it.

<--Ff1--80 KG---750N-->

weight 1

<--Ff2--210 KG---750N--->

weight 2

Is that free body diagram correct? Are you saying that Ff2=750? Because if you use the equation Ff=Mk(Fn)=432.12, not 750.

how did u get A?

A was simpler, for me at least:

The total weight of the system is 290 kg. So m=290. a is our variable.

Fx(net)=290(a)=750-Ff

Ff=Fn(.21)
Fn=9.8(290)
Ff=596.82

290(a)=750-596.82
a=153.18/290=.528
a=.53

=)

All help is greatly appreciated on parts b/c.

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law of motion states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Newton's third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. What is the formula for calculating force according to Newton's second law?

The formula for calculating force is F = ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

3. How do Newton's laws of motion relate to real-life situations?

Newton's laws of motion can be observed in various real-life situations. For example, the first law can be seen when a car comes to a stop after the brakes are applied or when a ball rolls to a stop on a flat surface. The second law can be seen when you push a shopping cart, and the force you exert determines the acceleration of the cart. The third law can be seen when a rocket takes off, as the force of the exhaust pushes the rocket in the opposite direction.

4. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the gravitational force acting on an object. Mass remains constant regardless of the location, but weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational pull.

5. How did Newton's laws of motion contribute to the understanding of the universe?

Newton's laws of motion laid the foundation for classical mechanics and helped explain the motion of objects on Earth and in space. They also provided a framework for understanding the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, which is essential in many areas of science and engineering.