How Do You Calculate the Movement of a Hydraulic Lift's Input Cylinder?

In summary, the given problem involves determining the distance the input cylinder of a hydraulic lift needs to go in order to lift a bronze lion weighing 1395 kg by 0.500 meters. Using the equations for fluid pressure and force, and assuming the fluid is incompressible and the density of water is 1000 kg/m^3, the solution can be found.
arpitm08
Fluid pressure problem? please help!

Homework Statement

The input cylinder of a hydraulic lift has a diameter of 8.00 cm, and a bronze lion sits on a cylinder with 198.0 cm diameter. If the lion has a mass of 1395 kg, how far down does the input cylinder have to go to lift the lion 0.500 meter?

Homework Equations

p1 + 0.5 p (v1)^2 + pg(h1) = p2 + 0.5 p (v2)^2 + pg(h2)
F1/A1 = F2/A2

The Attempt at a Solution

This is fluids at rest, so the velocity doesn't come into hand. It doesn't provide p. h1 is 0.5m. What do p1 and p2 equal. They also don't give the force applied on the input cylinder. I don't know how to do this. I don't want the answer. I just want to know how to get there. I'd rather understand the concept behind it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fluids are taken to be incompressible.

thanks that makes it much easier
i overlooked that

1. What is fluid pressure?

Fluid pressure is the force per unit area exerted by a fluid on its surroundings. It is caused by the molecules of the fluid colliding with the walls of its container or other objects within the fluid.

2. How is fluid pressure calculated?

Fluid pressure can be calculated using the formula P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is the force exerted by the fluid, and A is the area over which the force is applied. The SI unit for pressure is the Pascal (Pa), which is equal to one Newton per square meter (N/m2).

3. What factors affect fluid pressure?

The factors that affect fluid pressure include the density of the fluid, the depth of the fluid, and the acceleration due to gravity. The pressure also increases with an increase in the surface area of the object or container that the fluid is in contact with.

4. How does fluid pressure change with depth?

According to Pascal's law, the pressure exerted by a fluid at a certain depth is the same in all directions. Therefore, as depth increases, the weight of the fluid above it increases, causing an increase in pressure. This relationship is known as hydrostatic pressure.

5. What is the difference between absolute and gauge pressure?

Absolute pressure is the total pressure exerted by a fluid, including atmospheric pressure, while gauge pressure is the pressure relative to atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure is often used in fluid pressure problems as it eliminates the need to consider atmospheric pressure, which remains constant.