Is it time to keep blogs homework-free?

• Thread starter tiny-tim
  • Start date
In summary: ?It's a good one, but not possible right now.ok I've added a little "no homework" note. let me know if more drastic measures need to be used :)Thanks Greg, hopefully now new members will post in the forum where there is some hope of them getting a response.I think it would be great if we could set a minimum post count for blogging, so that people are actually using the forum for its intended purpose. I also think it would be a good idea to have a notice on the blog page telling people not to post their homework questions there, as this is often where they get lost.

If there can be a way to gently coerce them toward the correct place to post questions then I would endorse that. Do those who receive no reply even try elsewhere on the forums or just give it up and go elsewhere? I suspect its the latter. I know a lot of kids are very impatient and so most probably don't read the rules when they join (just as you always accept license agreements on software without reading them). I don't see that as any reflection of their academic ability, that's just the impetuousness of youth. I know the forum is staffed by volunteers, but one of its main goals is education and so just ignoring a whole section of the site traffic that seeks help with their education is something I don't think we should do.

I don't know how setting up a blog works which renders my bank of suggestions empty. There must be a way of making it more difficult for new members to post in a blog before they can post in the forum however.

Physics news on Phys.org

Kurdt said:
I don't know how setting up a blog works ...

Click on "Blogs" at the top of any PF page. Then, in the "Options" section on the left side of the Blogs page, click on "Post to your Blog"

complete solution

ZapperZ said:
So how many of those actually had a violation of our rules, i.e. had someone responding with a complete solution?

Today, an answer "correct to three decimals", at https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?bt=656#comment656 :

alyssa15 (0 posts):
i am in chemistry in high school and i don't understand this problem at all:
A student is given a crucible and asked to prove whether it is made of pure platinum. She first weighs the crucible in air and then weighs it suspended in water (density = 0.9986 g/mL). The readings are 882.1 g and 820.2 g, respectively. Based on these measurements and given that the density of platinum is 21.45 g/cm3, what is the volume of water displaced?

ovais (0 posts):
well this is a simple problem and can be solved as below . from archimedes' principle,loss in weight of the body =weight of the liquid displaced. Moderation Note: Removed complete solution. Thanks for pointing this out tim. Hoot

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for pointing that out: I've removed the above blog post.

You can report blog comments can't you?

Kurdt said:
You can report blog comments can't you?
Yes you can indeed. Click the https://www.physicsforums.com/Nexus/misc/blog/report.gif button in the lower right hand corner of each post to report it. It's better to report blog comments rather than posting here since we get a notification of reported threads/comments in the mentors forum.

Hootenanny said:
Yes you can indeed. Click the https://www.physicsforums.com/Nexus/misc/blog/report.gif button in the lower right hand corner of each post to report it. It's better to report blog comments rather than posting here since we get a notification of reported threads/comments in the mentors forum.

Hi Hoot! :smile:

i'm not interested in reporting them …

i was only replying to ZapperZ's pertinent question …

the point is that new members are still asking questions by blogging, and getting answers. :frown:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Hoot! :smile:

i'm not interested in reporting them …

i was only replying to ZapperZ's pertinent question …

the point is that new members are still asking questions by blogging, and getting answers. :frown:
Hey Tim,

That's fine. I know that the blogs are an issue when it comes homework help, I usually delete a couple of entries and issue a few warnings every day for homework in the blogs. Unfortunately, short of moderating all blog posts the only way to stop homework in blogs is to report it so that we can delete the posts and warn the users. Usually once people have been warned they stop posting homework in the blogs.

Hootenanny said:
Usually once people have been warned they stop posting homework in the blogs.

Yes, I'm sure nobody does it twice …

but there's an unending supply of newcomers "getting off the boat" and rushing to do it once. :frown:

This sort of thing …
:redface: puts off serious bloggers like me! :redface:

tiny-tim said:
Yes, I'm sure nobody does it twice …

but there's an unending supply of newcomers "getting off the boat" and rushing to do it once. :frown:

This sort of thing …
:redface: puts off serious bloggers like me! :redface:
Hmm, perhaps we could require that a user must make a minimum of say five posts in the forums before they can create, or post to a blog?

It looks like this is always going to happen. It just takes a few HH's or Moderators willing to check the blogs for HW. Then either report them or point them to the right place, in order to keep things down to a minimum.

Definately report the violations. Those send the message that blogging is a good way to get HW answers, and the problem mushrooms as we've seen.

Hootenanny said:
Hmm, perhaps we could require that a user must make a minimum of say five posts in the forums before they can create, or post to a blog?

From earlier in this thread:

Gokul43201 said:
Greg, what about the idea of a minimum post count for blogging?

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's a good one, but not possible right now.

Redbelly98 said:
From earlier in this thread:
Oops, I guess that'll teach me to read the entire thread before posting :redface:.

Thanks for keeping the Blogs in check RB! Even thought I have to warn a few users everyday, it'd be a lot more if you weren't in there keeping them in check :approve:

To keep myself from going nuts, I've composed some generic copy-and-paste responses:

https://www.physicsforums.com/usernote.php?do=viewuser&u=122961

Other people are welcome to use these too ...

Uh, people? Hey, where did everybody go :confused:

… behind you … !

Redbelly98 said:
To keep myself from going nuts, I've composed some generic copy-and-paste responses:

Uh, people? Hey, where did everybody go :confused:

You went nuts … we're still here! o:)

Hint: go round the computer and look at the other side of the screen! :wink:

tiny-tim said:
go round the computer and look at the other side of the screen! :wink:

All I see there is a bunch of dust bunnies! :uhh:

jtbell said:

That's us! We're all just a bunch of dust bunnies. You're the only real person at PF.

:Buwahahahahaha:

(edited post to correct spelling of "Buwahahahahaha" :biggrin:)

Last edited:

tiny-tim said:
You went nuts … we're still here! o:)

Hint: go round the computer and look at the other side of the screen! :wink:

jtbell said:

:rofl: Maybe I need to leave a few dust bunnies on the other side of my screen so the cat will chase those instead of my mouse pointer. It's hard reading the screen through a cat! (She's probably eyeing up Redbelly's and Tiny-Tim's avatars too. :uhh:)

Moonbear said:
It's hard reading the screen through a cat! (She's probably eyeing up Redbelly's and Tiny-Tim's avatars too. :uhh:)

:eek:

http://images.art.com/images/-/Mr-Bill---Ohh-Nooo-Magnet-C11751410.jpeg

Moonbear said:
It's hard reading the screen through a cat! (She's probably eyeing up Redbelly's and Tiny-Tim's avatars too. :uhh:)

Keep that cat away from me!
:biggrin: and my mouse! :biggrin:
:eek: oooh, that was scary!

I notice that, in the non-homework forums, the Post New Thread page, just above the title frame, now has the bright red warning Do NOT post homework! Homework questions go here

Will this be done to the Post to your Blog page also (perhaps adding "or other help requests")? :smile:

… and how about, in the same place on the homework pages,
copying the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,
with, in big friendly red letters: DON'T PANIC! ? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Will this be done to the Post to your Blog page also (perhaps adding "or other help requests")? :smile:

… and how about, in the same place on the homework pages,
copying the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,
with, in big friendly red letters: DON'T PANIC! ? :wink:

We have a similar notice on the blog post template.

Greg Bernhardt said:
We have a similar notice on the blog post template.

Hi Greg! :smile:

No, all it says (https://www.physicsforums.com/blog_post.php?do=newblog), in ordinary small black, is "Title (NO HOMEWORK!)".

On the Post New Thread page, the equivalent line is "Title (be descriptive!)" … the big red notice is on a line above that. :smile:

I agree with Tim. The (NO HOMEWORK!) message on the blogs is not nearly as noticeable as
Do NOT post homework! Homework questions go here
seen in the non-HW forums.

EDIT: changed size and color of messages to reflect actual appearance.

Last edited:
four homework blogs yesterday

Yesterday (GMT), there were four homework blogs. :eek:

The only advantage of this is that we get to see multiple copies of Redbelly's avatar every day! :smile:

One disadvantage is that genuine blogs are much less likely to be viewed by people who will appreciate them, if everyone assumes they're just homework.

The fifth blog yesterday, by jal, is a proper blog (with two pretty diagrams :approve:), but members can't tell that from the title, so are less likely to look at it. :frown:

(I think members can tell my blog isn't a homework blog! :biggrin:)

and the problem is self-perpetuating, since the more new members see homework blogs, and particularly the featured ones, the more they'll be encouraged to post their own​

An increasing number of students are posting their homework questions in their personal blogs rather than in the homework forums. Not only is posting homework in the blogs prohibited by the Physics Forums Global Guidelines, but it also makes it more difficult for our dedicated team of homework helpers to assist with queries. Not only this, but those who use the blogs for what they were intended for, i.e. as an online journal, find their entries are being 'drowned out' by homework questions.

Currently, members who post homework questions in the blogs are warned to repost their question in the appropriate homework forum. However, after discussion amongst the mentors it has been decided that any homework questions posted in the blogs will be deleted without notice. This will ensure that all students both adhere to the Global Guidelines and receive the high quality homework help that Physics Forums has become renowned for.

This policy is in effect immediately.

Thank you to Hootenanny and the rest of the Mentor team.

I'll just add that anybody can report a HW blog post, by clicking the little yellow triangle at the lower-right of the blog entry. Members who could help in this way are actively getting the blogs cleaned up sooner.

Redbelly98 said:
Thank you to Hootenanny and the rest of the Mentor team.

I'll just add that anybody can report a HW blog post, by clicking the little yellow triangle at the lower-right of the blog entry. Members who could help in this way are actively getting the blogs cleaned up sooner.
Redbelly, you have been doing an awesome job. You've really gone above and beyond what's expected and you did it without being asked. If I had the power I would make you blog mentor. You are really deserving of recognition.

Until that happens, can I ask you to hit the report button on those homework blogs? That way we can enforce the new rule and hopefully point new members in the right direction.

No problem.

Another possible issue is with blogs that are not homework, but are not "journal-like" either. These are the types of queries that most people normally post in the non-HW areas. But it's the same problem: few people who could answer such questions look in the blogs very often, so the question goes unanswered. And, it's clutter for people who like to read blog entries.

Is there a policy or guidelines about these non-HW question posts? Does the new delete policy apply to them?

Redbelly98 said:
Another possible issue is with blogs that are not homework, but are not "journal-like" either. These are the types of queries that most people normally post in the non-HW areas. But it's the same problem: few people who could answer such questions look in the blogs very often, so the question goes unanswered. And, it's clutter for people who like to read blog entries.

Is there a policy or guidelines about these non-HW question posts? Does the new delete policy apply to them?
Feel free to report any inappropriate blog posts and we'll delete any unsuitable or misplaced posts as well as warning users not to post questions in the Blogs.

I'll also echo Evo's thanks for doing an excellent job in the Blog section.

Isn't there any way to make Redbelly a blogmentor?

Oh Moonbear, that's brilliant!
No homework in blogs
Posted T at 08:39 PM by ashishraz
Updated T at 09:52 PM by Moonbear

Please write 10 times..."I will not post homework in blogs."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's pretty good. Within a couple more months, all these "no homework" edits will appear more frequently and prominently as featured blogs. Maybe more people will get the message before posting then.

Just wanted to give a progress report of sorts on the whole inappropriate blogs issue.

The "question blogs" (HW or otherwise) are still trickling in, about 1 a day on average. I'm willing to continue checking on and reporting them, but at the same time I'll suggest 2 actions which could possibly alleviate this:

1. Get rid of the "Random featured blog entry" displayed on the blog main page. This often shows a HW (or similar) question, and sends the message that this is appropriate for blogs at PF. In other words, it encourages what we don't want.

2. In the row of links at the top of every PF page, move the "Blogs" link over to the "Quick Links" menu. First-time users will be less likely to find and post a question in the blogs, and experienced users will still have an easy link to the blogs.

If either of those items could be addressed, I think it could help in cutting down on the problem, not to mention the time spent by myself and the Mentors who respond to the reported blogs.

p.s., a belated thanks to NeoDevin for the compliment given me in Post #65!

Redbelly98 said:
1. Get rid of the "Random featured blog entry" displayed on the blog main page. This often shows a HW (or similar) question, and sends the message that this is appropriate for blogs at PF. In other words, it encourages what we don't want.
YES! I have started deleting those.

2. In the row of links at the top of every PF page, move the "Blogs" link over to the "Quick Links" menu. First-time users will be less likely to find and post a question in the blogs, and experienced users will still have an easy link to the blogs.

If either of those items could be addressed, I think it could help in cutting down on the problem, not to mention the time spent by myself and the Mentors who respond to the reported blogs.
That could help, or if we could fit in a link to "Forums", since a lot of posters aren't aware we have a forum. :rolleyes:

it isn't working

The system just isn't working. :frown:

New members are regularly posting homework blogs, coursework blogs, and academic-guidance blogs (4 today) which should all be on the forums.

And the supply of real blogs has almost dried up.

I suggest:

A threshold number of posts before a member can blog

Change the warning at the top from "Title (NO HOMEWORK!)" to Title (NO HOMEWORK OR OTHER REQUESTS FOR ACADEMIC HELP OR GUIDANCE!)

Delete infringing blogs immediately​