Cuil: The Next Generation Search Engine

In summary: Celtic heritage.The name Cuil is a combination of two Irish words: "cuil" which means "search" and "cil" which means "knowledge".It has semantic capabilities.Cuil is a search engine that combines the largest Web index with content-based relevance methods, organized results, and complete user privacy. The site has been slow (as would be expected at this stage), but has recently been added server capacity. The search engine is heavily biased to vendors and commercial sites, and the results from google seem better, to me, especially the topics suggested at the bottom.
humanino
It has semantic capabilities. http://www.cuil.com/ [Broken].
Cuil (pronounced COOL) is a search engine that combines the largest Web index with content-based relevance methods, organized results, and complete user privacy.
From http://www.cuil.com/info/management/ [Broken]
Anna, President and Founder [...] was the architect of Google’s large search index, TeraGoogle [...] Russell, VP of Engineering and Founder [...] was technical lead for the serving part of TeraGoogle [...] Louis, VP of Products, joined Cuil from Google, where he led the design of a faceted search engine

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It works in an odd manner. Searching for vague terms such as "physics" "mathematics" or "science" yields 0 hits.

meh, still sticking with google

Last edited:
The site has been slow (as would be expected at this stage).
..probably won't make a good first impression.
(The site loads much faster if I tell Firefox not to load images... unfortunately, the search box is hard to see.)

It's all over the news... for some reason.
Other search engines that would compete with Google
mentioned in past news have come and gone (or at least taken a lower profile).

Last edited:
It's AWFUL! On one search string instead of searching on the main word which was "nasal" it searched primarily on the word "problems" with the first result an article on problems with meth manufacture.

I then searched on Herodotus and got "We didn’t find any results for “herodotus”

:bugeye:

Unlike google, if you mispell a word, it doesn't suggest alternatives, it gives you nothing.

I don't know of any other engine with smeantic capabilities. I'm not saying they are going to even compete with google. But I think this is quite a serious shift, and my understanding is that google is taking that more seriously than ever before.

humanino said:
I don't know of any other engine with smeantic capabilities. I'm not saying they are going to even compete with google. But I think this is quite a serious shift, and my understanding is that google is taking that more seriously than ever before.
Can explain what you mean by semantic capabilities as it relates to a search engine? What is the perceived benefit?

I think semantic means "context" like the word associations we struggle with the library entries

There is also the matter of heursitics, i.e. learning the most likely context for a keyword or set. Perhaps this search engine is so young, it does not yet have a sufficient database with which to discern semantics.

Evo said:
Can explain what you mean by semantic capabilities as it relates to a search engine? What is the perceived benefit?
It attempts to classify the results by meaning. I am unaware of any other engine with such capabilities. This is very interesting.

To be honnest, I've been thinking about that for quite a while :smile:

For instance, when I search http://www.cuil.com/search?q=physics [Broken], I get many pages entitled
Quantum
Nuclear
Particle
Medical
Theoretical
Plasma
Applied
Mathematical
Health

Plus the box "Explore by category"... It seems it's not working very well, maybe it's overloaded. But it's still remarquable.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're getting hammered pretty hard now, and are adding server capacity. It will probably improve with extra time and capacity. I tried them early this morning - no dice. Now you get some hits, but it's really slow.

The results from google seem better, to me, especially the topics suggested at the bottom. (but I am not a physicist and you are :smile:) I can't get to page 2 on the cuil search, it says "physics" not found. Are you able to get to page 2?

Wow, more than half of what I search on is "not found". I think they were very premature in releasing this. A lot of people are going to try it, not find anything, and never bother going back.

Example: We didn’t find any results for “mayo clinic”

Last edited:
The search engine is heavily biased to vendors and commercial sites. Try searching "oil" and you'll see a tab for oil paintings. Click that and see what you get. Not real pretty.

Evo said:
Wow, more than half of what I search on is "not found". I think they were very premature in releasing this. A lot of people are going to try it, not find anything, and never bother going back.
I agree, there is something really wrong going on with their server. I can't get to page two either, and changing browser does not help. Plus the safe search does remove relevant pages. It's a shame...

Cuil... how did they come up with that name? I would pronounce that in a very different manner than 'Cool'.

It's a nice idea though, but they still need to work hard to perfect the technology.

Monique said:
Cuil... how did they come up with that name? I would pronounce that in a very different manner than 'Cool'.
From the website FAQ (after refreshing 5 times to actually reach the page...)
What does the name Cuil mean?

Tom Costello, our founder and CEO, comes from Ireland, a country with a rich mythology around the quest for wisdom. Cuil is the Gaelic word for both knowledge and hazel, and features prominently in ancient legend. One famous story tells of a salmon that ate nine hazelnuts that had fallen into the Fountain of Wisdom and thereby gained all the knowledge in the world. Whoever ate the salmon would acquire this knowledge.

A famous poet fished for many years on the River Boyne hoping to catch the Salmon of Knowledge. When he finally caught it, he gave it to his young apprentice Finn McCuil to prepare, warning him not to eat any. As Finn cooked the salmon he burnt his thumb and instinctively sucked it to ease the pain. And so it was Finn and not the poet who gained all the wisdom of the world. Finn went on to become one of the great heroes of Irish folklore. Any time he needed to know the answer to a question, he sucked his thumb.

As a child Tom poached salmon from the same spot on the Boyne where it is said the Salmon of Knowledge was caught.

Ok.. and in Gaelic they pronounce Cuil as Cool and not 'Quill'? I can't seem to find a dictionary entry for it.. confusing :confused: (bad marketing)

Now, if they had just called it "The Salmon of Knowledge" I would probably be more inclined to use it.

Evo said:
Now, if they had just called it "The Salmon of Knowledge" I would probably be more inclined to use it.
If they did that, I would try to hickory-smoke it in a maple syrup glaze and bung it up for everybody. :tongue2:

It has improved already. Either this is just my impression, or the database learns by interaction with users.

They've already lost me. I find what I want on google, so I have no reason to use another search engine. It's why I stopped using Alta Vista and Yahoo and several others.

I'm not impressed. I agree, it's definitely biased toward commercial sites.

Also, it doesn't bring up Wikipedia entries unless you specifically include "wiki" (or somesuch) in your search terms.

Usually on Google the Wikipedia page for any given subject shows up within the top four links. I generally use Google instead of Wikipedia's own search function to find articles. :P

I am loyal to Google!

google just changed the way typed words bring up drop down lists below the box just today

humanino said:
It has improved already. Either this is just my impression, or the database learns by interaction with users.
Yeah it seems to be improving all the time by user interaction. Yesterday, as noted earlier, vague terms such as "physics", "maths" and "science" yielded zero hits, but no longer. Just to test how useful it is for technical terms I "Cuiled" the terms "Euler Bernoulli equation" and "silicon bandgap", "germanium bandgap" and even the term "bandgap".

The first search term yield some stuff about DEs and Bernoulli's principle but there was nothing on the beam equation which bears that name. The last three search terms for semiconductor bandgaps yielded zero hits. It is also unfortunate that unlike google, cuil doesn't correct your mispelling.

What is Cuil?

Cuil (pronounced "cool") is a search engine that was launched in 2008 as a competitor to Google. It is known as "the next generation" search engine because it claimed to have an index that was three times larger than Google's at the time.

How does Cuil work?

Cuil uses a combination of algorithms and web crawling technology to index and rank web pages. It also utilizes data from social media platforms to provide more relevant search results.

What sets Cuil apart from other search engines?

Cuil was designed to provide more privacy for its users. It does not track or store any user data, and it also does not store any search history. Additionally, Cuil claimed to have a more comprehensive index and better ranking algorithms than its competitors.

Is Cuil still operational?

No, Cuil shut down in 2010 after struggling to gain traction and compete with Google. Its technology was acquired by Google, and some of its features were integrated into Google's search engine.

What are the benefits of using Cuil?

Although Cuil is no longer operational, some of its features, such as its privacy policies, may appeal to users who are concerned about their online privacy. Additionally, Cuil's large index and alternative ranking methods may have provided more diverse search results compared to other search engines.