Two batteries in the same circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the voltage between points A and B in a circuit using Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws. The solution is found by treating the circuit as a loop and taking into account the opposing directions of the batteries. The conversation also addresses confusion about when to add and subtract voltages in the calculations.
Mårten

Homework Statement

Find the voltage between A and B in the circuit below:

2rog6mg.gif

Homework Equations

Don't know really, except for Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws, in some combination.

3. The Attempt at a Solution (rather the solution that the key gives, which I don't understand)
(12-6)/150 = 0.04 Ampere
U_AB = 6 V + 0.04*50 = 8.0 V

4. Questions
The main problem I have here, is that I get confused when there are two batteries in one circuit. So:

a) Is there any standard approach to deal with serveral batteries, e.g. build some sort of battery equivalent, like you do when you have several resistors?

b) They seem to substract one of the battery's voltages from the other. Why's that? On one hand, you can see that one battery is "driving" the current in opposite direction to the other. But on the other hand, you could say that in the upper part of the circuit, the batteries' plus terminals form one common conductor, so it ought to be 12+6=18 V.

c) Then they seem to treat the resistors like they were in series. Well, in the left circle of the diagram, you can say they are in series, so maybe I'll agree with that.

d) Okey, now you have the current I. But now they do 6 V + 0.04*50 to get U_AB. Strange... Normally, you do U - RI to get the potential left... :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming these are ideal (hw question type) batteries with no internal resistance how much current is flowing in the circuit?

Mårten said:
The main problem I have here, is that I get confused when there are two batteries in one circuit. So:

a) Is there any standard approach to deal with serveral batteries, e.g. build some sort of battery equivalent, like you do when you have several resistors?

b) They seem to substract one of the battery's voltages from the other. Why's that? On one hand, you can see that one battery is "driving" the current in opposite direction to the other. But on the other hand, you could say that in the upper part of the circuit, the batteries' plus terminals form one common conductor, so it ought to be 12+6=18 V.

c) Then they seem to treat the resistors like they were in series. Well, in the left circle of the diagram, you can say they are in series, so maybe I'll agree with that.

d) Okey, now you have the current I. But now they do 6 V + 0.04*50 to get U_AB. Strange... Normally, you do U - RI to get the potential left... :confused:

The way that you want to treat this is as a loop.

Ohm's law says that the sum of the voltages around a loop - start at a point and return to it - since it is the same voltage as you started, then everything has to add up to zero.

So choose a direction. Either direction and follow element by element around the loop. BUT YOU MUST BE CAREFUL OF SIGNS. Since the batteries in this configuration are opposing your equation should reflect that one of them is negative relative to the other. When you add everything up you get the voltage from the current in the resistors and the difference in the batteries. The answer is correct it is .04 amps. Then choose either path between A and B and sum up the voltage of whichever battery and the voltage contribution from the current through which ever resister and you have your answer.

LowlyPion said:
So choose a direction. Either direction and follow element by element around the loop. BUT YOU MUST BE CAREFUL OF SIGNS. Since the batteries in this configuration are opposing your equation should reflect that one of them is negative relative to the other. When you add everything up you get the voltage from the current in the resistors and the difference in the batteries. The answer is correct it is .04 amps.
Okey, I did this, and it worked. That's what you call a potential walk, according to Kirchhoff 2, is it?

LowlyPion said:
Then choose either path between A and B and sum up the voltage of whichever battery and the voltage contribution from the current through which ever resister and you have your answer.
Hm... Now you're adding the different elements, and above (with potential walk) you were subtracting. Confusing... Why's that? When am I supposed to add and when am I supposed to subtract? :confused:

And if you do this in the leftmost loop you get 12 V + 100*0.04 = 16 V. So it only works if I go through the battery to the right in the circuit. :confused:

Mårten said:
And if you do this in the leftmost loop you get 12 V + 100*0.04 = 16 V. So it only works if I go through the battery to the right in the circuit. :confused:

Beware the direction of the current. One path is 6V + .04(50) = 8V
The other path has current flowing opposite. That path is 12V - (.04)(100) = 8V.

Didn't I already tell you to Be Careful of signs?

Okey, I got it now, rereading the Kirchhoff's laws... :redface: Thanks!

What is the purpose of having two batteries in the same circuit?

The purpose of having two batteries in the same circuit is to increase the voltage and current in the circuit. This is useful in situations where the circuit requires more power than a single battery can provide.

Can two batteries with different voltages be used in the same circuit?

No, two batteries with different voltages should not be used in the same circuit. This can cause uneven distribution of current and can potentially damage the batteries or the circuit.

How should the batteries be connected in the circuit?

The batteries should be connected in series, with the positive terminal of one battery connected to the negative terminal of the other battery. This will add the voltages of the two batteries together.

What happens if the batteries have different capacities?

If the batteries have different capacities, the battery with the lower capacity will drain faster than the other battery. This can result in an uneven distribution of power and can potentially damage the batteries or the circuit.

Can using two batteries in the same circuit increase the lifespan of the circuit?

Yes, using two batteries in the same circuit can increase the lifespan of the circuit. This is because the batteries will share the load, reducing the strain on each individual battery and potentially extending their overall lifespan.