Multiphase CFD in Enclosed Space (no inlets/outlets)

• Thread starter minger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cfd Space
In summary, a co-worker is attempting to model a multiphase flow with a rotating cylinder inside a sealed pipe that is half filled with water. They are using CFX but are struggling with determining appropriate boundary conditions. This is a non-mixing water/air flow with the problem related to heat transfer. The Ansys team has not been helpful and the existing literature focuses on simpler cases with inlets and outlets. There is a suggestion to consult with a professional, and the question of whether the system can be considered closed is raised.
minger
Science Advisor
Hi guys, I have a co-worker here who is stuck on a problem, and I cannot give him much help either. He is trying to model a multiphase flow with no inlets or outlets. The problem is essentially a rotating cylinder inside of a pipe that is sealed on both sides. Assume that the pipe is half filled with water.

That's it. We are trying to do this in CFX, but having difficulty determining what, if any, boundary conditions can be applied. The Ansys people are of very little help, it any. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you trying to solve for? Heat transfer? Fluid velocity? When you say multi-phase flow, are you literally trying to keep track of two fluid vapor phases? Do you really have to solve this problem using CFD?

It's possible CFX is not the proper solution for your problem. There will most certainly be much more than boundary conditions that have to be nailed to to get the problem solved; perhaps you should find a professional consultant?

By multiphase, I actually mean non-mixing water/air (sorry about the confusing). The cylinder inside is spinning and throwing water on the top of the chamber. The problem that we are trying to solve is related to heat transfer, but for the time being, just getting a simplified model to run would be nice.

I have found literature related to this problem, but the spinning cylinder is always in a simple channel flow with easy inlet and outlet boundary conditions. I have just never run into a case where there are no inlets or outlets. I'm not sure how to approach the boundary conditions.

Does the Ansys model require your system to be open? I don't have much of any experience with CFD but if this is the case could you possibly just assume a very small amount of flow through the system? So small that as far as accuracy is concerned, the system can be considered closed?

1. How does multiphase CFD work in an enclosed space with no inlets or outlets?

In multiphase CFD, the enclosed space is divided into multiple phases, such as gas and liquid, and the governing equations for each phase are solved simultaneously. This allows for accurate predictions of flow behavior and interactions between the phases.

2. What are the challenges of using multiphase CFD in an enclosed space?

One of the main challenges is accurately modeling the interactions between the phases, as well as the boundaries of the enclosed space. This requires advanced modeling techniques and validation against experimental data.

3. What are the advantages of using multiphase CFD in an enclosed space?

Multiphase CFD allows for a detailed analysis of complex flow behavior in an enclosed space, which would be difficult or impossible to obtain through experimental methods. It also allows for optimization of design and performance, as well as identification of potential issues.

4. What types of applications can benefit from using multiphase CFD in an enclosed space?

Multiphase CFD is commonly used in industries such as oil and gas, chemical, and pharmaceuticals, where processes involving multiple phases occur in enclosed spaces. It is also used in HVAC systems, fuel cells, and various other engineering applications.

5. How can the accuracy of multiphase CFD in an enclosed space be improved?

The accuracy of multiphase CFD can be improved through validation against experimental data, as well as using advanced modeling techniques such as incorporating surface tension and turbulence models. It is also important to carefully consider the boundary conditions and mesh quality to ensure accurate results.