Can I Get a M.S in CS with a B.S in Applied Math?

In summary, the individual is considering getting a B.S degree in Applied Mathematics and then pursuing a M.S in Computer Science. This is because they found courses in CS to be interesting and lost interest in advanced math courses. However, they are concerned about having to take undergraduate courses after graduation due to not being a CS major from the beginning. They are also considering self-study or a specialized program to make up for any missing topics.
lion0001
Is it ok to get a B.S degree in Applied Mathematics and then a M.S in Computer Science?

You might ask, why not a B.S in CS and then M.S in CS .

the answer to this is,, i am already a senior in Applied math and since several courses in CS were required for my degree , ( i.e : Computer programmin I , II , Fundamentals of computer science, Computer organization and design, Data Structures, Operating systems )

i took these courses in my electives, half were electives , half were required.

THe problem is that i found CS very interesting, and lost interest in pursuing more advanced math courses.

The only bad thing is that since i was not a CS major in the beginning i fear i might have to take some undergraduate courses after graduations cause i cannot take all CS courses and do my math courses.

Computer science news on Phys.org
lion0001 said:
Is it ok to get a B.S degree in Applied Mathematics and then a M.S in Computer Science?

You might ask, why not a B.S in CS and then M.S in CS .

the answer to this is,, i am already a senior in Applied math and since several courses in CS were required for my degree , ( i.e : Computer programmin I , II , Fundamentals of computer science, Computer organization and design, Data Structures, Operating systems )

i took these courses in my electives, half were electives , half were required.

THe problem is that i found CS very interesting, and lost interest in pursuing more advanced math courses.

The only bad thing is that since i was not a CS major in the beginning i fear i might have to take some undergraduate courses after graduations cause i cannot take all CS courses and do my math courses.

I guess it might matter on the classes that are more programming-intensive than some of the more math-intensive courses, since you're an applied math major. I don't know from personal experience, but I have talked to grad students who have had to take some undergrad courses in things like Automata & Linguistics (I don't know what you would call it at your school) so they could take computational theory. It seems like courses like those were more of a challenge for those who came from an engineering background, however.

If you are a good student, I believe it should be pretty easy for you to make up any missing topics by self study. Or you could go for a program specially designed to accommodate, such as MCIT at Upenn.

1. Can I get a Master of Science in Computer Science with a Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Master of Science degree in Computer Science with a Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics. Many universities offer this option, as the two fields are closely related and have overlapping coursework.

2. Are there any prerequisites for applying to a M.S in CS program with a B.S in Applied Math?

Each university may have different prerequisites for their M.S in CS program, but generally, having a strong foundation in mathematics and programming is important. Some programs may also require applicants to have taken specific computer science courses or have a certain GPA. It is best to check with the specific program for their requirements.

3. What career opportunities are available with a M.S in CS and B.S in Applied Math?

With a Master of Science in Computer Science and a Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics, you may have a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as data science, software engineering, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and more. These fields are in high demand and often require a strong background in both mathematics and computer science.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a M.S in CS with a B.S in Applied Math?

The length of time to complete a Master of Science in Computer Science with a Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics can vary depending on the program and whether you are studying full-time or part-time. Generally, it can take anywhere from 1.5 to 3 years to complete the degree.

5. Can I specialize in a specific area within computer science with a M.S in CS and B.S in Applied Math?

Yes, many M.S in CS programs offer specializations or concentrations that allow you to focus your studies in a specific area within computer science. Some common areas of specialization include data science, software engineering, cybersecurity, and artificial intelligence. These specializations can provide you with a more in-depth understanding and expertise in a particular field.