Solve HP 50g: Set to Not Expand Expressions

• Thread starter qntty
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in setting the HP 50g calculator to not expand expressions by default when integrating. The speakers mention that both Mathematica and TI-89 also expand expressions before integrating, sometimes leading to messy results. They also discuss a general formula for the result and the importance of the integration constant.
qntty
I can't find how to do this in the HP 50g manual (probably because the manual is 900 pages and I don't know what to look for) so hopefully someone can help me. I'd like to set my 50g so that it doesn't expand expressions by default. For example, if I tell it to compute [itex]\int{(10x^2-8)^{40} dx}[/itex] it will integrate it but then expand it, which makes it useless for checking integrals like this.

Computer science news on Phys.org
What's really happening is that the expressions is being expanded before integrating, not after. In your example, there is actually no obvious substitution that can make it easy to integrate with that method; indeed, both Mathematica and my TI-89 will expand it before integrating (and give a large mess as a result). There doesn't seem to be a nice general formula for the result (well, Mathematica can give one that uses hypergeometric functions, but it's not exactly pretty).

I seem to remember reading that, in general, HP calculators do tend to expand polynomials before integrating, rather than perform a substitution if it's simple enough. I really doubt there's any way to tune how it integrates things.

As an example: [itex]\int (x + 1)^3 \,dx[/itex]. I'm guessing your calculator gives a result of [itex]\frac14 x^4 + x^3 + \frac32 x^2 + x[/itex]. (I'm not 100% sure; I read this before the 50g came out, but the 50g is fairly similar to the 49G.) However, both Mathematica and my TI-89 give [itex]\frac14 (x + 1)^4[/itex]. Note that this expands to [itex]\frac14 x^4 + x^3 + \frac32 x^2 + x + \frac14[/itex]; the result differs from the other one by a constant 1/4. (Hopefully this demonstrates the importance of the integration constant!)

Thanks for the response.
adriank said:
In your example, there is actually no obvious substitution that can make it easy to integrate with that method; indeed, both Mathematica and my TI-89 will expand it before integrating (and give a large mess as a result). There doesn't seem to be a nice general formula for the result (well, Mathematica can give one that uses hypergeometric functions, but it's not exactly pretty).
Yeah I didn't notice that, my example should have been [tex]\int (10x-8)^{40} dx [/tex]

1. What does it mean to "set to not expand expressions" on the HP 50g calculator?

When you set your HP 50g calculator to not expand expressions, it means that it will not simplify or expand any mathematical expressions you input. This can be useful for solving complex equations or working with symbolic expressions.

2. How do I set my HP 50g calculator to not expand expressions?

To set your HP 50g calculator to not expand expressions, go to the "CAS" menu and select "Settings." Then, choose "Expansion" and change the "Expand" option to "No." This will prevent the calculator from automatically simplifying or expanding any expressions you enter.

3. What are the benefits of setting the HP 50g calculator to not expand expressions?

Setting the HP 50g calculator to not expand expressions allows you to work with complex equations and symbolic expressions without having to manually simplify them. This can save time and reduce the chance of making errors in your calculations.

4. Can I still expand expressions manually on the HP 50g calculator when it is set to not expand?

Yes, you can still expand expressions manually on the HP 50g calculator even when it is set to not expand. This can be done by using the "Expand" function in the CAS menu or by using the "Simplify" function to view the expanded form of an expression.

5. Does setting the HP 50g calculator to not expand expressions affect all calculations?

Yes, setting the HP 50g calculator to not expand expressions will affect all calculations that involve mathematical expressions. This includes solving equations, graphing functions, and performing other mathematical operations. It is important to keep this setting in mind when using the calculator for different types of calculations.