About the sequence of walter greiner's physic series

In summary, the conversation is about the 14 books in the Walter Greiner course of Physics. The person wants to learn the books by themselves but is unsure about the sequence. One suggestion is to look at the preface for a suggested sequence. Another person agrees with this and also suggests starting with book 11 and then reading book 14 before moving on to books 1-10. There is a discussion about the quality of the books, with one person mentioning that they are in the German mathematical tradition and may be difficult to find elsewhere. Overall, the conversation is about the suggested sequence for self-studying these physics books and their quality.
ltd5241
I want to learn these books by myself,but I don't know the sequence.

Walter Greiner course of Physics - 14 Books Summary:
1 Quantum Mechanics: An Introduction
2 Quantum Mechanics. Special Chapters
3. Quantum Mechanics: Symmetries
4. Relativistic Quantum Mechanics. Wave Equations
5. Field Quantization
6. Quantum Electrodynamics
7. Quantum Electrodynamics of Strong Fields: With an Introduction into Modern Relativistic Quantum Mechanics
8. Quantum Chromodynamics
9. Gauge Theory of Weak Interactions
10. Nuclear Models
11. Classical Mechanics: Point Particles and Relativity
12. Classical Mechanics: Systems of Particles and Hamiltonian Dynamics
13. Classical Electrodynamics
14. Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics

Physics news on Phys.org
My suggestion is to look at the preface and see his suggested sequence. Mine would be 11, 12, 13, 14, then 1-10 in that order.

Not having said that, there are subjects in Statistical Mechanics which need techniques from QFT...

Last edited:
I agree with Dr Transport in general.

But 10. Nuclear Models really only requires the QM series to understand and work through

By the way, are these books any good? They look quite nice but I've never seen them used in classes or recommended by people or anything.

Thank you all! I've read 11. Classical Mechanics: Point Particles and Relativity,and the general part of the 14. Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics,i'll keep reading in your seggested sequence and look for better books.
Are these books no good for teaching myself?

I have most of tehse books and I find tyhem just perfect and surely better than 80% of what you can find on purchase. Those books are in the pure german mathematical tradition and its really hard to find something similar elsewhere as the jewels from French/German mathamatics and physics are not easily accessible.

What is the sequence of Walter Greiner's physics series?

The sequence of Walter Greiner's physics series is as follows: Classical Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics, Electrodynamics, Relativity, and Statistical Mechanics.

What is the level of difficulty for the physics series?

The physics series by Walter Greiner is intended for advanced undergraduate and graduate students in physics. It assumes a strong background in mathematics and some prior knowledge of basic physics concepts.

What is the approach used in the physics series?

The physics series by Walter Greiner takes a theoretical and mathematical approach to understanding physics concepts. It focuses on developing a deep understanding of fundamental principles and their applications.

Are the books in the series standalone or do they need to be read in order?

While each book in the series can be read independently, it is recommended to read them in order as they build upon each other and assume some prior knowledge from the previous books.

What makes Walter Greiner's physics series unique?

Walter Greiner's physics series is known for its clarity, depth, and mathematical rigor. It is also highly regarded for its comprehensive coverage of various topics in physics and its emphasis on problem-solving and critical thinking skills.