Lagrange equation for mass-spring-damper-pendulum

In summary, the person is asking for help understanding equations of motion for a pendulum. They mention that the problem is similar to one they have in homework and provides a link to a webpage with more information. The first equation of motion is: Ft + MV + mv = a constant. The second equation of motion is: Ft + MV + mv = -K. To solve these equations, one would need to know the damping coefficient and the spring coefficient. Once these are known, the equations can be solved for x and y values.
tanquat
Can someone kind of give me a step by step as to how you get the equations of motion for this problem?

http://www.enm.bris.ac.uk/teaching/projects/2002_03/ca9213/images/msp.jpg

the answer is this:
http://www.enm.bris.ac.uk/teaching/projects/2002_03/ca9213/msp.html
Though I am not quite sure what b and c are.

i guess for reference here is what it looks like after transforming it some:

Here is the website if you need to do any clarification:

I have another problem similar to this for homework, i just wnat to see this one layed out before i work on my other. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
[tex]

mv_{x} + MV_{x} = C1

[/tex]

[tex]

\int(-BV_{y})dt + \int(-KY)dt + MV_{y} + mv_{y} = C2

[/tex]

[tex]

v_{x} = V_{x} + lsin(\varphi)\frac{d\varphi}{dt}

[/tex]

[tex]

v_{y} = V_{y} + lcos(\varphi)\frac{d\varphi}{dt}

[/tex]

um, could you clarify a little bit more?
my main problem is understanding the relationship between the pendulum and the first mass, M

uppercase symbols for M, small symbols for m.
B is damping coefficient of damper attached on M and K is spring coefficient.
apply momentum conservation on both x and y direction can get above equatiions.
C1 and C2 are initial conditions.
derivation of second equation will be force-acceleration equation.
Not difficult to understant. just "Ft + MV + mv = a constant" in differential form.
It's a second order system. If you re-arrange them, you can get simillar equations as that on the webpage you provided.
If there's something missing, might be geometry equations.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
thanks i appreciate it. I just started a vibrations course and this problem is similar to what i have in homework. i tried looking tah the lagrange equations to get an idea on an answer so i can go back and do the system again using Newtonian equations, though as of last night it has started making me rather frustrated :/ and honestly its the pendulum that's messing me up.

1. What is the Lagrange equation for a mass-spring-damper-pendulum system?

The Lagrange equation for a mass-spring-damper-pendulum system is a mathematical equation used to describe the dynamics of such a system. It takes into account the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, the damping coefficient, and the gravitational force acting on the object.

2. How is the Lagrange equation derived for a mass-spring-damper-pendulum system?

The Lagrange equation is derived using the principles of Lagrangian mechanics, which is a mathematical framework for analyzing the motion of mechanical systems. The equation is derived by considering the kinetic and potential energies of the system and minimizing the action (defined as the integral of the Lagrangian over time).

3. What are the advantages of using the Lagrange equation for a mass-spring-damper-pendulum system?

One advantage is that the Lagrange equation provides a more general and elegant approach to studying the dynamics of a system compared to traditional Newtonian mechanics. It also takes into account all forces acting on the system, including non-conservative forces like damping, making it more accurate for real-world systems.

4. Can the Lagrange equation be used for systems with more than one degree of freedom?

Yes, the Lagrange equation can be extended to systems with multiple degrees of freedom. In such cases, the equation becomes a set of coupled differential equations, with each equation representing the dynamics of a specific degree of freedom.

5. How is the Lagrange equation applied in practice for a mass-spring-damper-pendulum system?

In practice, the Lagrange equation is used to determine the equations of motion for a given system. These equations can then be solved numerically using computer programs or other methods to predict the behavior of the system over time. The Lagrange equation is also used in control systems design to optimize the performance of the system.