Solving Inequalities to Graph: Help Needed!

In summary: No worries, and good luck.By the way, if you really want to use C and L instead of A and B, you can certainly do so, by solving these equations for A and B:\begin{align*}60A + 40B &= C \\igham A &= B \\70A + 40B &= L \end{align*}Then the last two inequalities become \begin{align*}C &\geq 240 \\igham A &= B \\L &\geq 140 \end{align*} and the first two inequalities end up looking pretty weird and unintuitive. I think it's more natural to use A
fellixombc
So I need help with setting up the equation to graph it (eg. y = mx + b) but with different variables.

In a factory, Machine A Produces 60 Cornflakes boxes per hour and Luckycharms at 70 boxes per hour. Machine B produces produces 40 cornflake boxes per hour and Luckycharms 40 per hour. It costs $50 a hour to run machine A and $30 a hour to run Machine B. Machine A cannot run more then 9 hours a day and Machine B cannot run more then 10 hours a day. Atleast 240 cornflakes boxes need to be made and 140 lucky charm boxes need to be made.

So, I setup my variables:

Cornflakes = C
Luckycharms = L

And here are my equations (there cannot be more than 4 constraints):

60C + 70L <= 9 (machine A)
40C + 20L <= 10 (machine b)
C >= 240
L >= 140

My equation is wrong though. If I solve and graph it (L = Y, C = X), it does not come out correctly.

Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first two inequalities are wrong.

If C and L are the number of boxes of each type produced, then what is 60C? What is 70L? What are the units of these things? 60 = number of boxes per hour, C = number of boxes, so the units of 60C are (number of boxes)^2 / hour. This is not what you want.

Also, if C and L represent the TOTAL number of boxes of each type produced, then you seem to be assigning this total number to be produced by both machine A and machine B. Thus you will operate the machines longer than needed.

What if instead of C and L, you were to use two variables A and B, representing the number of hours of operation of machines A and B?

Then you would have these constraints:

[tex]\begin{align*} A &\leq 9 \\
B &\leq 10 \\
60A + 40B &\geq 240 \\
70A + 40B &\geq 140\end{align*}[/tex]

This assumes that all the production has to take place in one day. Does it?

Also, what additional constraint do the operating costs impose? Is the goal to choose A and B to minimize the total cost? (I assume so.) Then you will have to express this cost in terms of A and B and work out how to minimize it.

Last edited:
yes, i need to find the most miminzied cost, so i would graph this.

Sorry, my initial response assumed that each machine could produce box C *or* box L at a certain rate per hour, but on closer reading I believe you mean that each machine can produce *both* types simultaneously, at the stated rates. I've modified my original post accordingly. (You might need to hit "refresh" to see it.) Is that interpretation correct?

jbunniii said:
Sorry, my initial response assumed that each machine could produce box C *or* box L at a certain rate per hour, but on closer reading I believe you mean that each machine can produce *both* types simultaneously, at the stated rates. I've modified my original post accordingly. (You might need to hit "refresh" to see it.) Is that interpretation correct?

Oh i see now, yes it is. Thank you very much, I have a huge headache considering I've been working on this for 2 hours =/

Time for sleep and I will finish the rest of my assignment tomorrow. Thank you.

fellixombc said:
Oh i see now, yes it is. Thank you very much, I have a huge headache considering I've been working on this for 2 hours =/

Time for sleep and I will finish the rest of my assignment tomorrow. Thank you.

No worries, and good luck.

By the way, if you really want to use C and L instead of A and B, you can certainly do so, by solving these equations for A and B:

[tex]\begin{align*}60A + 40B &= C \\
70A + 40B &= L \end{align*}[/tex]

Then the last two inequalities become

[tex]\begin{align*} C &\geq 240 \\
L &\geq 140 \end{align*} [/tex]

and the first two inequalities end up looking pretty weird and unintuitive. I think it's more natural to use A and B as I defined them.

1. What are inequalities and why do we need to solve them?

Inequalities are mathematical expressions that compare two quantities and indicate their relative size. We need to solve them to find the range of values that satisfy the given conditions and make the statement true.

2. How do I solve an inequality and graph the solution?

To solve an inequality, we use the same principles as solving equations, but with one additional step: when multiplying or dividing by a negative number, we need to flip the inequality sign. To graph the solution, we plot the values that satisfy the inequality on a number line and shade the appropriate region.

3. Are there different types of inequalities and do they have different rules for solving?

Yes, there are different types of inequalities such as linear, quadratic, and absolute value inequalities. Each type may have different rules for solving, but the basic principles remain the same. It is important to identify the type of inequality before attempting to solve it.

4. Can inequalities have more than one solution?

Yes, inequalities can have more than one solution. This is because the solution is a range of values, rather than a single value. For example, the solution to x > 3 would be all values of x greater than 3, such as 4, 5, 6, etc.

5. How can I check if my solution to an inequality is correct?

To check if your solution to an inequality is correct, you can plug in a value from the solution range into the original inequality expression and see if it makes the statement true. Additionally, you can graph the solution and see if the shaded region on the number line matches the solution range.