Find the moment about the y-axis

• Thread starter xstetsonx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment about the y-axis for a region defined by two equations with density p. The person was able to find the upper bound but had trouble finding the lower bound. They also wanted to make sure they set up the equation correctly and used the shell method. The expert explains that the person actually used thin vertical strips, and helps them determine the lower bound by solving an equation. The person also mentions finding two more values of x, but the expert clarifies that they are complex solutions and can be ignored. The expert also shares their approach to solving the equation.
xstetsonx
Given the region defined by y=6(x)^.5-4 and y=6x^2-4 with density p, Find the moment about the y-axis

I found the upper bound but coulden't find the lower bound.

and i just want to make sure i set up the equation right

my=p[tex]\int[/tex] (x)((6(x)^.5-4)-(6x^2-4))dx

I used the shell method in case i confuse anybody

Physics news on Phys.org
xstetsonx said:
Given the region defined by y=6(x)^.5-4 and y=6x^2-4 with density p, Find the moment about the y-axis

I found the upper bound but coulden't find the lower bound.

and i just want to make sure i set up the equation right

my=p[tex]\int[/tex] (x)((6(x)^.5-4)-(6x^2-4))dx

I used the shell method in case i confuse anybody

Actually, you used thin vertical strips, not shells, which are used when a region is rotated around an axis. By "lower bound" I assume you mean the bottom limit of integration. Set 6sqrt(x) - 4 = 6x2 - 4, and solve for x. You should find two values of x. Those are your limits of integration.

Other than that, your integral looks fine.

so if i set those two equation up i will get
6x^.5(-x^(3/2)+1)
which will give me 0 and 1 right?

You should have an equation.
6x^.5(-x^(3/2)+1) is not an equation.

Mark44 said:
You should have an equation.
6x^.5(-x^(3/2)+1) is not an equation.

i just set it to 0
6x^.5(-x^(3/2)+1)=0
6x^.5=0
x=0
-x^(3/2)+1=0
x=1

OK, that's an equation. And yes, the x values at the intersection points are at x = 0 and x = 1. BTW, there are two more values of x, but they are complex.

do they involve imaginary number?

+ and - i?

Last edited:
Yes, but since you're interested only in real solutions, you can ignore them.

What I did was solve 6sqrt(x) - 4 = 6x^2 -4 ==> 6sqrt(x) = 6x^2 ==> sqrt(x) = x^2. I squared both sides to get x = x^4 ==> x(x^3 - 1) = 0. The left side can be factored.
x(x - 1)(x^2 + x + 1) = 0, so x = 0, x = 1, or x^2 + x + 1 = 0. The quadratic has complex solutions.

YES can't believe i still remember stuff from cal 1 haha thanks so much u r AWESOME!

Thanks much! I appreciate the feedback.

1. What does "find the moment about the y-axis" mean?

Finding the moment about the y-axis is a process used in physics and engineering to determine the tendency of an object to rotate around the y-axis. It involves calculating the product of the distance of each point on the object from the y-axis and the force acting on that point.

2. How is the moment about the y-axis different from the moment about the x-axis?

The moment about the y-axis and the moment about the x-axis are two different ways of measuring rotational forces. While the moment about the y-axis measures the tendency of an object to rotate around the y-axis, the moment about the x-axis measures the tendency to rotate around the x-axis.

3. What is the formula for finding the moment about the y-axis?

The formula for finding the moment about the y-axis is M = F * d, where M is the moment, F is the force acting on the object, and d is the perpendicular distance from the point of interest to the y-axis.

4. What are some real-world applications of finding the moment about the y-axis?

Finding the moment about the y-axis is used in various fields, such as structural engineering, to determine the stability and strength of structures. It is also used in physics to understand and predict the rotational motion of objects.

5. What are some common misconceptions about finding the moment about the y-axis?

One common misconception is that the moment about the y-axis can only be calculated for objects that are rotating. In reality, the moment about the y-axis can be calculated for any object, whether it is rotating or not. Another misconception is that the moment about the y-axis is the same as torque. While they are related, torque specifically refers to a type of moment that causes rotational motion.