2nd Year Aero Eng. Student. Where/How can I find related work?

In summary, the conversation is about a 2nd year Aerospace engineering student at Ryerson University in Toronto who is looking for a student engineering job for the upcoming summer. They are seeking guidance on how to look and apply for such a job and are advised to check with their university's career services office, ask professors, and utilize networking and alumni contacts. The conversation also mentions a work/study program at their university and a potential internship opportunity in Quebec.
mk47k
I'm a 2nd year Aerospace engineering student at Ryerson University (Toronto). I would love to get a student engineering job this up coming summer! I have no idea how to look/apply for such a job. Could anyone guide me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
mk47k said:
I'm a 2nd year Aerospace engineering student at Ryerson University (Toronto). I would love to get a student engineering job this up coming summer! I have no idea how to look/apply for such a job. Could anyone guide me please?

Do you have a career services office? I'd start with them for sure. Ask your professors too. You may have to try to find alumni contacts, contacts your professors have, related conferences, etc. Your career services office should be able to help you learn about networking - just be careful about how you approach people. I googled your school and you do have a career services office, so go talk to them :tongue:.

My university had a work/study program. We were on quarters at the time (4/yr, incl summer quarter), so for years 2, 3, and 4, co-op students worked/studied every other quarter, and finished in their fifth year. You may be starting on such a program a semester late, but it's good pay (much better than min wage), good experience, and good exposure to a firm with whom you may want to work, at least initially.

I wasn't a part of the program, but my best friend and eventually best man, was. He enjoyed it tremendously, paid for most of his bills, and wound up spending the first three years of his career working for his co-op company.

1. What type of work can I expect to find as a 2nd year Aero Eng. student?

As a 2nd year Aero Eng. student, you can expect to find entry-level positions or internships in aerospace engineering companies, government agencies, or research institutions. These positions may involve design, analysis, testing, or maintenance of aircraft, spacecraft, or related systems.

2. Where can I find job listings for 2nd year Aero Eng. students?

Job listings for 2nd year Aero Eng. students can be found on various job search websites such as Indeed, Glassdoor, and LinkedIn. You can also check the career websites of specific aerospace companies or visit your university's career center for job postings.

3. How can I gain relevant experience as a 2nd year Aero Eng. student?

There are several ways to gain relevant experience as a 2nd year Aero Eng. student. You can apply for internships, participate in research projects, or join student organizations related to aerospace engineering. You can also reach out to professors or industry professionals for volunteering or shadowing opportunities.

4. What skills are most valuable for 2nd year Aero Eng. students seeking related work?

Some valuable skills for 2nd year Aero Eng. students seeking related work include technical skills in CAD, programming, and analysis software, as well as soft skills such as teamwork, communication, and problem-solving. Additionally, having knowledge of industry standards and regulations can also be beneficial.

5. How can I make my application stand out as a 2nd year Aero Eng. student?

To make your application stand out, you can highlight any relevant coursework, projects, or extracurricular activities related to aerospace engineering. You can also tailor your resume and cover letter to the specific job and company you are applying for. Networking and obtaining recommendations from professors or industry professionals can also make a positive impact on your application.