Electrostatics. finding the resultant force

In summary, electrostatics is the study of stationary electric charges and the forces they exert on each other. The electrostatic force is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which takes into account the product of the charges and the distance between them. The resultant force in electrostatics is the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on a charged particle, and it can be found using vector addition methods. The magnitude of the resultant force is affected by the magnitude and distance of the individual forces, as well as the charges and masses of the particles involved, and the direction of the forces also plays a crucial role.
anoel
anyone can help me out? I've tried but my answer and answer key are differnet!

Homework Statement

three point charges lie on a straight line. find the resultant force exerted on (a) the -2[tex]\mu[/tex]C charge, (b) the 5 [tex]\mu[/tex]C charge

1 (5[tex]\mu[/tex]C) 2(-2[tex]\mu[/tex]C) 3(3 [tex]\mu[/tex]C)

distance b/w 1,2 = 2cm
distance b/w 2,3 = 4cm

Homework Equations

k q1 x q2 / distance^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
please show your attempt even if it was not correct so we can see at which step you have problem ..

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the study of stationary electric charges and the forces they exert on each other.

2. How is electrostatic force calculated?

Electrostatic force is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the resultant force in electrostatics?

The resultant force in electrostatics is the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on a charged particle. It takes into account the magnitude and direction of each force to determine the overall effect on the particle.

4. How can I find the resultant force in electrostatics?

To find the resultant force in electrostatics, you can use vector addition to combine all the individual forces acting on a charged particle. This can be done using trigonometry or graphical methods.

5. What factors affect the magnitude of the resultant force in electrostatics?

The magnitude of the resultant force in electrostatics is affected by the magnitude and distance of the individual forces, as well as the charges and masses of the particles involved. The direction of the forces also plays a crucial role in determining the magnitude of the resultant force.