Electrostatics - finding magnitude of a third charged particle

In summary, the conversation discusses a three-charge system in static equilibrium, with two point charges q and 4q at x=0 and x=L, respectively, and a third charge q3 being introduced to the system. The conversation also mentions Coulomb's Law and the calculation of the magnitude of q3, which is found to be 1/3*L away from q1. There is a discussion on the placement of q3 and the distance it should be from q1 and q2 in order for the system to reach equilibrium.
Linus Pauling
1. Two point charges q and 4q are at x=0 and x=L, respectively, and free to move. A third charge is placed so that the entire three-charge system is in static equilibrium.
Two point charges q and 4q are at x=0 and x=L, respectively, and free to move. A third charge is placed so that the entire three-charge system is in static equilibrium.Two point

2. Coulomb's Law

3. I know the answer is 0.444q, and I know how to get it:

k*q*Q3/(0.333L)^2 = k*q*4q/(L^2)

But why is 1/3 *L used in the left side of the equality? If the magnitude of the charge on the far right is 4q and that on the left is q, why isn't the middle particle with charge Q3 1/4 as far from q1 as the 4q particle?

Physics news on Phys.org
You may know the answer, but we don't know the question that the problem asks because you never posted it.

Oops:

Two point charges q and 4q are at x=0 and x=L, respectively, and free to move. A third charge is placed so that the entire three-charge system is in static equilibrium. What is the magnitude of the third charge?

Linus Pauling said:
... so that the entire three-charge system is in static equilibrium.

What does this mean? I interpret it to mean that all three charges are free to move and that the net force on each charge due to the other charges is zero. This is impossible. To get the net force on q3 to be zero, you need to put it between the other two charges. Once you do that, the charges at the ends will experience net repulsive forces. Draw a force diagram and you will see what I mean.

It simply means that you're dropping a third charge of unknown magnitude between two known charges, and the system goes to equilibrium, i.e. none of the particles is moving. To get the correct value for the magnitude of q3 I have to use 1/3*L, i.e. that q3 1/3 the distance from q1 that q1 is from q2. How do I obtain that 1/3*L value, though. My intuition would be that q3 is 1/4*L away from q1 since the difference in charge between q1 and q2 is 4q.

Linus Pauling said:
It simply means that you're dropping a third charge of unknown magnitude between two known charges, and the system goes to equilibrium, i.e. none of the particles is moving. To get the correct value for the magnitude of q3 I have to use 1/3*L, i.e. that q3 1/3 the distance from q1 that q1 is from q2. How do I obtain that 1/3*L value, though. My intuition would be that q3 is 1/4*L away from q1 since the difference in charge between q1 and q2 is 4q.

As I explained in the previous posting, this cannot happen if all charges are free to move.

It's saying that the two charges q1 and q2 are free to move, then q3 is dropped in and equilibrium is reach, i.e. they're no longer moving. My question has to due with the distance from q1 and q2 that q3 is when the particles are in static equilibrium.

OK. Draw yourself a force diagram. If q and 4q are both positive, charge q3 must be negative. Place q3 at distance x from q. Can you write two equations saying that the net force on each of charges q and 4q is zero? You will then have two equations and two unknowns, x and q3.

Ahhh, actually I got it already. The next question asked me to find the distance x q3 is located it, but it was much simpler to find x first ten the charge of q3. Thanks though.

What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest.

What is a charged particle?

A charged particle is an object that has an excess of either positive or negative electric charge.

What is the magnitude of a charged particle?

The magnitude of a charged particle refers to the quantity of electric charge it possesses. It is measured in coulombs (C).

How do you find the magnitude of a third charged particle?

To find the magnitude of a third charged particle, you need to know the magnitude and position of two other charged particles, as well as the distance between them. You can use Coulomb's Law, which states that the magnitude of the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the magnitude of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What are some applications of electrostatics?

Electrostatics has many practical applications, including in electronic devices, air purifiers, printers, and paint sprayers. It is also used in industrial processes such as electrostatic separation, electrostatic precipitation, and electrostatic spraying.