Calculating Peak Displacement of Sinusoidal Motion

In summary: This is because sinusoidal motion is dependent on both frequency and pi. Additionally, using the equation x_{pk} = \frac{1}{2}a_{rms}t^2\sqrt{1.414} and substituting the given values, the calculated peak displacement does not match the actual value of 0.825 mm. Therefore, it is necessary to use the original equation to accurately calculate peak acceleration.
davidd
I am looking at sinusoidal motion (shaker tables) and am trying to calculate peak displacement given RMS acceleration.

I can easily find the peak displacement using:

[tex]a_{pk} = 4\pi^2f^2x_{pk}[/tex]

[tex]a_{rms} = 0.707a_{pk}[/tex]

as...

[tex]x_{pk} = \frac{a_{rms}}{0.707\pi^2f^24} [/tex]

My question is: isn't there a way to find the peak acceleration without using frequency and [tex]\pi[/tex] ?

I am stuck thinking that there is since RMS voltage and current can be used to find power without the frequency being involved. I initially thought this would work:

[tex]x_{pk} = \frac{1}{2}a_{rms}t^21.414 [/tex]

[tex]t = \frac{1}{120} \ s[/tex] (quarter cycle for travel from 0 to peak)

The values I've been using to work through this are: [tex]a_{pk} = 29.4 \frac{m}{s^2}, \ \ \ a_{rms} = 20.8 \frac{m}{s^2}, \ \ \ f = 30 Hz, \ \ \ x_{pk} = 0.825 mm [/tex]

I even verified that RMS acceleration is the same for a quarter cycle as it is for a full cycle by doing this calculation:

[tex]a_{rms} = \sqrt{\frac{1}{\frac{3}{120} - \frac{1}{120}} \int^{\frac{3}{120}}_{\frac{1}{120}} sin(2\pi30t)^2 dt [/tex]

but I calculated 0.707 from it.

Any ideas what I'm missing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, it is not possible to calculate peak acceleration without using frequency and pi. The only way to find the peak acceleration is by using the equation: a_{pk} = 4π^2f^2x_{pk}.

What is peak displacement?

Peak displacement is the maximum distance that an object or system moves from its equilibrium position during a period of sinusoidal motion.

How is peak displacement calculated?

Peak displacement can be calculated using the formula: amplitude x sin (2πft), where amplitude is the maximum displacement from equilibrium, f is the frequency of the motion, and t is the time.

What is the difference between peak displacement and amplitude?

Peak displacement is the maximum distance from equilibrium, while amplitude is half of this distance. In other words, amplitude is the distance from equilibrium to either the peak or trough of the motion.

What factors can affect the peak displacement of sinusoidal motion?

The peak displacement of sinusoidal motion can be affected by the amplitude, frequency, and any external forces acting on the system. Additionally, the type of material and its properties can also impact the peak displacement.

How is peak displacement used in real-world applications?

Peak displacement is often used in engineering and physics to analyze and design systems that undergo sinusoidal motion, such as bridges, buildings, and mechanical systems. It is also used in fields such as seismology and acoustics to measure the amplitude of vibrations and sound waves.